Bow recommendations

Buckman18

Some great suggestions on here. From 1994-2013, I hunted with a Bear Whitetail II that I got on clearance for $50 brand new from the Bargain Barn in Jasper. Never even installed a peep sight. Killed well over 100 creatures with it until I bought a bowtech in 2014.

Id consider one of the cheaper ready to hunt Bear combos at Bass Pro for the mid $300's or the Diamond mentioned above. Id also want to visit the retailer in person and let one of the pro shop guys get you fitted properly.

Here’s some food for thought.

I see people saying get this bow or get this brace height or don’t get a short axle to axle or whatever. But no one is really explaining anything.

I would get the most expensive bow you can afford. Why? Because it’s going to be fast, reliable, accurate and most of all, easy to shoot. Whats expensive for you may not be expensive for someone else.

Brace height. This is the distance from your string to your riser. It’s a moot point and shouldn’t effect your decision at this point. A 6 inch brace height is going to be just as accurate as the 7. Only difference may be some speed. Again...it’s irrelevant at this point for you.

Axle to axle. If I were you, I’d pick a neutral axle to axle. A 34” bow is going to be long feeling and steady. A 28” bow is going to feel really maneuverable and fast feeling. I prefer something around 31” because that’s what I’m comfortable with.

Tuning. Don’t worry with tuning it yourself. Have a professional do it and know it’s set up properly and will be as accurate as possible. You’ll have plenty of time to learn what does what as you gain some experience. THEN you can start diving into making some changes.

I’ve had a ton of bows. And this year I’ve made a change to PSE and I’m hunting with the Evolve. I paid $400 for is pre owned and it’s by far the best bow I’ve owned. I’ve had all the newest, latest and greatest bows and prior to the bow, the Hoyt Carbon Element was my favorite which I hunted with in 2015. Which is probably 10 years old at this point. I have been shooting Expedition bows the past 4 years and they are nice, but it was time for a change.

Don’t get all hyped up on speed.

Remember, with a bow purchase comes the need for many more accessories which are just as important as the bow. Good luck!

devils12

I’ve been looking at getting a bow for a while now. There are so many options i don’t even know where to start. Does anybody have any good recommendations of bows that won’t cost a fortune ?
No one on here has mentioned them. I have now or have owned 5 different Bear Archery bows. Two of them are still used today and they are great shooting bows. Link below is for one of their flagships from last year.

https://www.camofire.com/index.php/Deals/2

Shoot straight!

Core Lokt

I have a 2006 bowtech allegiance stored in a climate controlled space. I put a new string on it but haven't shot it is 4-5 years. for it's time it is a sweet shooting bow. I know a few guys that still hunt with them today. I may get back into bow hunting and start shooting it again. Who knows.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I got just 5 words for you - Matthews.

krizia829

No one on here has mentioned them. I have now or have owned 5 different Bear Archery bows. Two of them are still used today and they are great shooting bows. Link below is for one of their flagships from last year.

https://www.camofire.com/index.php/Deals/2

Shoot straight!
I mentioned to him the Diamond Infinite Edge but I also second Bear! It's what I've used for the past 8 years and I love it! I have the Siren which is specifically a women's bow. I have the 50-60# and it's crazy quiet and has great speed for my short 25" draw length

My suggestion is to go to a reputable archery shop and have them work with you. They will measure you for draw length, and let you shoot a bunch of bows. You aren't sure how much poundage you can pull comfortably, your draw length or even how to hold the bow correctly. A reputable shop will specialize only in bows and should have a good tech. to help you. They will also be able to help you with arrow selection, and yes there is a lot to picking the correct arrows. I wouldn't buy a flagship bow for a starter bow. There are plenty of great bows out there. After you get your bow, practice every day! Join Archery Talk, and learn as much as you can (probably the best bow forum on the net) they have a great classified section where you can buy anything and everything archery related. You will have to have over 20 post before you can sell or purchase anything. When you feel like you are ready to upgrade, purchase a used flagship bow from the classified section.