Braves 2024 Season Thread

BornToHuntAndFish

Yep, hope Acuna gets well soon, but lots of concerns about him out there. Still sounds serious since he's got to go to California to get checked out again in person.

Acuna underwent an MRI that revealed the irritation, according to the team. He will meet with Dr. Neal ElAttrache in Los Angeles on Monday for additional evaluation.

"Right now we're trying to be optimistic," Braves manager Brian Snitker told reporters in Florida on Saturday. "Maybe just a couple of weeks or whatever, just to calm everything down. But honestly, I don't know until we get what the doctor out there says."

An MRI exam gave the Braves confidence Ronald Acuña Jr. will be ready for the start of the regular season. But the team won't have a definitive timeline until the reigning National League MVP travels to California to be evaluated by Dr. Neal ElAttrache on Monday.

"We expect him to be ready for Opening Day barring new information," Braves president of baseball operations Alex Anthopoulos said. "It looks like irritation, but we're going to make sure we check all of the boxes."

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know the legality, but the Braves are going to have to get Ronald to slow this after season play. In my mind, his loyalty is to the Braves and anything to jeopardize that is not good.

biggdogg

I don't know the legality, but the Braves are going to have to get Ronald to slow this after season play. In my mind, his loyalty is to the Braves and anything to jeopardize that is not good.
In this case, he asked for and received permission from the Braves to play in the Venezuelan Winter League. I imagine that should he receive an extension, there will likely be clauses prohibiting him from playing outside the season. And I doubt the Braves will be so accommodating going forward. Although it's hard to fault a kid that wants to work to get better, even after running away with the MVP.

westcobbdog

Saw where the Phillies are on Acuna's 12 yr old little bro, obtaining some some of committment from him for his baseball future.

huntersluck

In this case, he asked for and received permission from the Braves to play in the Venezuelan Winter League. I imagine that should he receive an extension, there will likely be clauses prohibiting him from playing outside the season. And I doubt the Braves will be so accommodating going forward. Although it's hard to fault a kid that wants to work to get better, even after running away with the MVP.
Yea that's what I've been thinking, no way he's getting a big contract without him giving up winter ball. My question is with him playing winter ball why was Snitker playing him this Spring.? Snit knows what he has in Acuna seems like a bad move to me

biggdogg

I have a hunch that Elder will be in the next round of cuts...

DannyW

It's a shame about Elder. I really like the kid. His problem is that his mistakes get hit. Hard.

Due to contracts and service time, Elder seems the logical choice to open the season at AAA. But with pitching injuries being what they are today, I expect we will still see a lot of him this season.

Remember the glory days of Muddux/Glavine/Schmolz? Those three would go 2-3 SEASONS without missing a start. Now days it's unusual to see a pitcher go a full season without at least 1 stint on the 15-day IL.

westcobbdog

It's a shame about Elder. I really like the kid. His problem is that his mistakes get hit. Hard.

Due to contracts and service time, Elder seems the logical choice to open the season at AAA. But with pitching injuries being what they are today, I expect we will still see a lot of him this season.

Remember the glory days of Muddux/Glavine/Schmolz? Those three would go 2-3 SEASONS without missing a start. Now days it's unusual to see a pitcher go a full season without at least 1 stint on the 15-day IL.
Leo new how to handle pitchers. He didn't believe in pitch counts.

Duff

Yeah, not sure what his options are, but he better turn it around quick if he is going to be on the opening day roster.

Crazy ain't it? He was an all star last year.

DannyW

Yeah, not sure what his options are, but he better turn it around quick if he is going to be on the opening day roster.

Crazy ain't it? He was an all star last year.
I agree with @biggdogg, I think his fate is already sealed. He has looked awful in spring training, Renaldo Lopez has looked great. Plus Elder still has minor league options.

I just wonder what effect this will have on Elder's confidence?

biggdogg

I agree with @biggdogg, I think his fate is already sealed. He has looked awful in spring training, Renaldo Lopez has looked great. Plus Elder still has minor league options.

I just wonder what effect this will have on Elder's confidence?
I don't know that Elder would have been on the opening day roster anyway because the Braves won't need a 5th starter for the first three weeks of the season. Lopez was signed as a bullpen piece with the potential to be stretched out as a starter. He has more than earned o rotation spot in my opinion. But the way Elder's spring has gone, AAA looks to be an extended stay proposition.

DannyW

First Kelsey, and now Kelly are gone from the broadcast team. I must admit that while Kelly was a better interviewer, I still miss Kelsey.

Kelly is being replaced a tag team of three, 2 women and 1 man. I didn't recognize any of the names.

But based on their bio pictures, they did alright. :biggrin2:

BornToHuntAndFish

Duvall back in starting lineup today. Strider started out well but gave up the lead in the 4th-inning, 1st time this Spring he's given up runs, while having 6-K's.

GJW4qwTWEAAz-84

GJOldC-X0AI7LMM

DannyW

Heeee's back!

Brave re-signed Jesse Chavez to a minor league contract this morning. For now, he will be an extra arrow in the quiver that starts the season at Gwinnett.

He may be 40 but he just put together the best 3-year run of his career. I like the move. We may not see him much early in the season, but a well rested and well tested veteran like Chavez could be an important signing for the 2nd half.

Shadow11

I've always liked watching Ozuna play myself. I was also one of the only ones that strongly supported Stetson to start qb back in the day for the dawgs, so what do I know. Ozuna had a bad 1st month last year, but if the system was fair and accurate, he was definitely an all-star when you figure the entire season.

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
Heeee's back!

Brave re-signed Jesse Chavez to a minor league contract this morning. For now, he will be an extra arrow in the quiver that starts the season at Gwinnett.

He may be 40 but he just put together the best 3-year run of his career. I like the move. We may not see him much early in the season, but a well rested and well tested veteran like Chavez could be an important signing for the 2nd half.
Death, taxes and ole man Chaves!

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
I've always liked watching Ozuna play myself. I was also one of the only ones that strongly supported Stetson to start qb back in the day for the dawgs, so what do I know. Ozuna had a bad 1st month last year, but if the system was fair and accurate, he was definitely an all-star when you figure the entire season.
I like him as well. He shows his human too much for the folks that think excellence is the only option.