Centeral GA Quail

GA Puma

I'm soon to retire from the military and heading to central Ga with my GSP. We've hunted a lot of Gambels, Scaled and Mearns here in Arizona. How's the public land hunting for Bob's?

Just for fun I've attached a pic of Gretta and I with a few good Mearns not 80 yards from the Mexico boarder. FB_IMG_1619912896907.jpg

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Tough as far as numbers go. Most people here look for quail but most rely on woodcock or travel out west.

across the river

Most quail hunting in Georgia today involves buying some pen raised quail and putting them out. Even on private land, people typically hunt Woodcock as trad bow mentioned above or hunt. pen raised birds. You can find quail on public land but it is extremely tough. If people find some they aren't sharing where they are, but in general the Southern part of the state will provide a better shot of finding some than the northern.

specialk

I stumble over a wild covey a few times a year rabbit hunting, but its bad thick cutovers mostly....prepare to hunt pen raised here....wild ones are hard to find anymore.....beautiful dog you got there!!

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
My quail are in pine and briar thickets. By no means are they huntable. South Ga. North fla has some old time plantation hunting. Some are wild quail.
Thomasville Ga area comes to mind. Lots of them are pen raised as said.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
You have a sharp looking GSP there. Of course I may be a little bias. Here’s mine late last summer. He’s a lot bigger now at 2 1/2 years old.

dslc6487

Pen raised is all you will be able to hunt in middle Ga. May find a few wild ones in south Ga, but they are usually on private land and the land owners "protect" them for their own use and I don't blame them. Hunting pen raised is fun but certainly not as fun and challenging as the wild ones used to be.....

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I'm on base at Davis-Monthan AFB which is in southern AZ in Tucson. Been here for 6 years now. Jaw Jaw bound in June.
I drive a big red semi on 10 going both ways. Seen them quail out there. Seems to be a lot of doves too.

sportsman94

I'm soon to retire from the military and heading to central Ga with my GSP. We've hunted a lot of Gambels, Scaled and Mearns here in Arizona. How's the public land hunting for Bob's?

Just for fun I've attached a pic of Gretta and I with a few good Mearns not 80 yards from the Mexico boarder. View attachment 1079248

What part of central Georgia are you gonna be in?

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
Welcome Puma and thanks for your service. Our place is in middle GA and 10 years ago we would see a covey or two of bob's. Haven't seen any in the last 5 years or so. Plenty of dove, deer & turkey in middle GA if your of a mind to chase those.