Centeral GA Quail

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Most quail hunters say they are all gone or are for sure not gonna give up their public land spots . With that said we for sure don’t have the numbers we once had but I bet you can find a decent public land spot within a hour or so of you . I’m not a quail hunter but once was and I see plenty in the woods , especially property that has been clear cut in the last few years . Fine looking pup you got and thanks for your service .

GA Puma

Most quail hunters say they are all gone or are for sure not gonna give up their public land spots . With that said we for sure don’t have the numbers we once had but I bet you can find a decent public land spot within a hour or so of you . I’m not a quail hunter but once was and I see plenty in the woods , especially property that has been clear cut in the last few years . Fine looking pup you got and thanks for your service .

Thank you for the honesty! I wouldn't ask for a spot, its too personal and disrespectful to do so. I can't wait to put the miles in and bend the boot leather. Thanks again.

spring

I have a few friends that have enjoyed some pretty decent public land quail hunting of late, but with the wild covey's inability to withstand a steady diet of hunting pressure, I doubt they are heavily advertising their destinations. That said, the areas that the State actively manages for Gentleman Bob are pretty easily sourced. Good luck!

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
You have a sharp looking GSP there. Of course I may be a little bias. Here’s mine late last summer. He’s a lot bigger now at 2 1/2 years old.
I’ve been hearing some quail whistling at my lease the last 2 weekends I’ve been there. First time in a long time. Maybe I can get you back down there at some point to try and raise a couple coveys. We get some woodcock moving through in December to

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I’ve been hearing some quail whistling at my lease the last 2 weekends I’ve been there. First time in a long time. Maybe I can get you back down there at some point to try and raise a couple coveys. We get some woodcock moving through in December to
I can be your huckleberry

GA Puma

That would be great when the season come back around.

longrangedog

Have a covey on my Bartow county farm and while I grew up hunting quail (we called them "birds") I would hope the struggling few that remain would not be hunted.

spring

Have a covey on my Bartow county farm and while I grew up hunting quail (we called them "birds") I would hope the struggling few that remain would not be hunted.

Not at all trying to be judgmental, but it is interesting that with some rare huntable species, we discuss how few there are, but when some are found, the conversation changes to let’s go kill them.
I have an odd perspective I suppose as even though I have a good many quail on my farm, I always find myself looking forward to the next season with hopes of having more. This causes me to be very reluctant to shoot birds throughout the season. I have just as much fun hunting them and then just shooting in the air on a covey rise. I should probably relax and take more than I do, but the hope for more is always walking along with the need for bird survival.
Maybe one day I can just chill and whack a few… ?

Last edited:

Resica

Not at all trying to be judgmental, but it is interesting that with some rare huntable species, we discuss how few there are, but when some are found, the conversation changes to let’s go kill them.
I have an odd perspective I suppose as even though I have a good many quail on my farm, I always find myself looking forward to the next season with hopes of having more. This causes me to be very reluctant to shoot birds throughput the season. I have just as much fun hunting them and then just shooting in the air on a covey rise. I should probably relax and take more than I do, but the hope for more is always walking along with the need for bird survival.
Maybe one day I can just chill and whack a few… ?
The older I get the less I want to kill. It isn't something I feel like I decided, it just kind of happened, I don't like the feeling but it is that. I enjoy seeing animals and birds now more than I have a strong urge to kill them.

Resica

Always loved hearing the Bobwhite in Georgia and I heard it all the time. When I lived in Macon in an area that was just houses, no fields, some woods, used to hear them all the time. At my Grandfathers house in Oakwood, nothing but houses, heard them all the time, what happened? These weren't huntable areas.

billc

When all said and done we hope to be in Jones County.
You could try Piedmont National Wildlife Refuge in Jones Cty. Huge area, pretty woods. Slim pickings on quail but beats watching TV. Refuge Manager should have advice on best areas to hunt.

Coach K

The hunting is depressing in GA compared to out west.
Piedmont starting spraying to eradicate lespedeza and the quail disappeared.
Furthermore, when they burn, they burn huge chunks of acreage, forcing quail to relocate large distances leaving them vulnerable to predation. Lastly, the Nat'l Forest does not even want quail hunters there any more. Just look at how many days you are allowed to hunt quail for.
Rum Creek - Nada - Minimal burning - Have not seen a covey there in 10 yrs.

I go to Arizona if I want to hunt wild quail - How ironic, eh? ;-)

Attachments

• ''T'' Arizona Mearns.jpg
    ''T'' Arizona Mearns.jpg
    446.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Rhu's Mearns Quail - AZ.jpg
    Rhu's Mearns Quail - AZ.jpg
    617 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Darkhorse

I am old enough to have been a boy and teen during the last of the "Gentleman Bob" days. We always had a couple of liver pointers, thats what we called them, around the place. And a good many birds to hunt also. Those were shineing times. And like the beaver, the quail mostly all went away.
I hear birds whistling on my place every spring and summer but not so much in season. Don't have access to surrounding property so I can't look for them like we used to. I might shoot one over there but on my place they won't get shot.
When I grow melancholy thinking of the old days behind good bird dogs, and me being a boy with a stevens 20 gauge double, and my grandfather still walking upright and strong, then I just need to do something.
So what I do is break out my copies of Robert Ruarks "The old man and the boy" and "The old mans boy grows older." Get the fireplace going with real wood and do some reading. That's the closest I can get to my youth and how quail hunting used to be.

Quail can be over hunted & that should be avoided but some birds should be taken! For instance a covey of quail will have more roosters than it does hens, so if some of those roosters are not culled, when spring comes around the roosters spend their time fighting instead of mating! I suggest all quail enthusiast, should check out "Tall Timbers" research on this. You will find that quail do not always respond favorably to refraining from shooting them! I realize that if a property that has a few quail on it is over hunted/harvested it will have a negative impact, but just leaving the birds alone can also have a negative impact!

GA Puma

Deplorable, this also varies by species. In AZ Gambles will covey back up in an hour or less, but the Mearns will take a few days if not longer.

What I've been tought "on wild birds" is if your flushing conveys with 4 or less birds don't shoot. Also, if your flushing singles leave the area.

How long does it take for the Bobs to covey back up?