Cva scout v2

Bobby Bigtime

Do any of you folks own or have experience with these rifles. I am considering one in 450 bushmaster. The reviews I have read appear favorable. It sounds like the barrels are produced by bergara but I don't know for sure.

lonewolf247

My brother and my son, both have CVA Scout rifles in .35 Whelen. I have the CVA Lightweight Stalker, which was the predecessor, to the Scout. These are awesome rifles, and have proved to be really accurate! All will shoot a 1" MOA group with the right ammo.

Here in Louisiana, the CVA rifles, in .35 Whelen, are approved as primitive weapons, with the scope of your choice. lol Many members opted for a lesser expensive H&R rifle, but the accuracy, doesn't seem to match the CVA.

That said, the only issue I had with the CVA Stalker was, it came with it's own mount, and rings. They were heavy duty, and looked good, but the rings were grooved, although they looked good and were unique, it only offered about half of the surface area, that secured the scope. I had grouping issues at first, and I scraped the Nikon Prostaff scope, and the mounts/rings, and went with the DNZ integral mounts, and solved my problem.

My brother had the early release of the CVA Scout, and it also had the same mounts/rings, and he changed them to DNZ from the start, and avoided issues.

My son has the newest Scout version, that came with a rail. I advised him to scrap the rail, and go with DNZ from the start. He sighted in with about a 1" group.

My advise, buy the rifle, and scrap any sort of rail or mount supplied, and you'd be fine.

All of our CVA rifles are awesome, just a heads on on possible mount issues.

earlthegoat2

I know plenty of folks in MI who swear by the CVA Scout in 450 BM.

Henry has a break open in 450 as well but the CVA is a winner either way.

rosewood

Big CVA fan here. Have the Hunter in 35 rem (my favorite deer rifle) and 7mm-08. Have the Stalker in .223. 2 Scouts, one in 6.5NMB and the other in 300 blk. Love them all. Shoot great also. I hate they discontinued the Hunter line, you could get them around $200, but the scouts are $350+. They all shoot better than a gun at that price should.

Yes, they are Bergara barrels. You can find it stamped on the barrel somewhere. Pretty sure the gun is a Bergara also, they are made in Spain. I think they realized they could make the bolt guns and sell them here and do well and so far they have. CVA (BPI) imports them.

Rosewood

rawolfee

Big CVA fan here. Have the Hunter in 35 rem (my favorite deer rifle) and 7mm-08. Have the Stalker in .223. 2 Scouts, one in 6.5NMB and the other in 300 blk. Love them all. Shoot great also. I hate they discontinued the Hunter line, you could get them around $200, but the scouts are $350+. They all shoot better than a gun at that price should.

Yes, they are Bergara barrels. You can find it stamped on the barrel somewhere. Pretty sure the gun is a Bergara also, they are made in Spain. I think they realized they could make the bolt guns and sell them here and do well and so far they have. CVA (BPI) imports them.

Rosewood

I really want a Scout in 35 rem, but was sad to learn they stopped making them. Been looking for a used one.

rosewood

I really want a Scout in 35 rem, but was sad to learn they stopped making them. Been looking for a used one.
I want another 35 rem to cut to 16.25". The 20" I have shoots so good, I don't want to cut it, but would like a shorter one. Would really love to have one in .357 mag and then ream it to 357 max. But they said they had no plans on making them. I just don't care for the .350 Legend and you can't shoot 38special in it.

No idea why they have the 35 Whelen in the lineup. It is a rare cartridge around here, never known anyone that had one, but 35 rem is quite common.

Rosewood

JR924

Several years ago, I tried to get a CVA Scout in 44 magnum and could not find new one. Could not find a H&R either. Ended up with Ruger 77/44. Just a few months ago, I was entertaining a CVA Scout V2 in 35 Whelen for a future elk hunt. Not many calibers were available in the CVA Scout V2 except that one. Reviews were good on quality and accuracy. Could not find any 35 Whelen ammo. I bought a bolt action rifle in caliber I had ammo for so more money but works considering how long guns last and hold most of their value. One good thing about the CVA Scout V2 and most other single shot break action rifles, you can shoot the stout loads like the Buffalo Bore 44 magnum 340 grain hard cast ammo. Does not fit in the Ruger 77/44 magnum magazine. Only the 305 grain fits. I am thinking the CVA Scout V2 in a more or less powerful than you deer hunt with just for fun ammo like the 35 whelen or 223 would be a nice addition to a gun collection. It is a fine looking rifle for the money and I like it better than the low cost budget bolt action guns. If you ever get to do a varmint, moose or brown bear hunt, you are good to go per my internet hunting education. I think also as a truck gun, gun your keep in your cabin or trailer or a gun you send to the guide before you hunt as a backup, this gun would be a great use. If it is lossed, damaged or stolen, you are not out for of a lot of money. I need another gun.

lonewolf247

No idea why they have the 35 Whelen in the lineup. It is a rare cartridge around here, never known anyone that had one, but 35 rem is quite common.

Rosewood

The .35 Whelen in the CVA qualifies for a primitive weapon in some states. It's a really big hit, here in Louisiana. It definitely makes a "primitive weapon" not so primitive! I have a Meopta 3.5-10x44 on mine, and it's a 250-300 yard gun.

earlthegoat2

The .35 Whelen in the CVA qualifies for a primitive weapon in some states. It's a really big hit, here in Louisiana. It definitely makes a "primitive weapon" not so primitive! I have a Meopta 3.5-10x44 on mine, and it's a 250-300 yard gun.

Out of curiosity, does the fact it is 35 Whelen have anything to do with it being “primitive” or is it just that it is a single shot?

lonewolf247

Out of curiosity, does the fact it is 35 Whelen have anything to do with it being “primitive” or is it just that it is a single shot?

No, nothing about that caliber is primitive in my book. Unless you would call a 30-06 primitive. It's a necked up 30-06.

I guess as a way to attract more hunters, and sell more licenses, our primitive weapons guidelines are .35 caliber or larger, in an approved single shot rifle. They have a list, and the CVA rifles qualify.

Best way I can answer that...

GregoryB.

Most of those States that allow those for Primitive Weapons season require the cartridge case to be straight walled.

lonewolf247

Most of those States that allow those for Primitive Weapons season require the cartridge case to be straight walled.

That's true in many states. That's one of the reasons for the sudden interest in the 350 Legend, 450 bushmaster, and such. Our state was Straight Walled at first, but approving the .35 Whelen, was a real game changer.

rosewood

That's true in many states. That's one of the reasons for the sudden interest in the 350 Legend, 450 bushmaster, and such. Our state was Straight Walled at first, but approving the .35 Whelen, was a real game changer.
Wouldn't the 35 rem qualify if the Whelen does?

lonewolf247

Wouldn't the 35 rem qualify if the Whelen does?

I'm thinking it should. Our approved primitive weapons cartridges have changed so many times over the years. I think the current reads, .35 caliber or larger, breech loading, single shot rifles, with exposed hammers. As long as it's in an approved rifle, such as the CVA.

Bobby Bigtime

I need another 450 like I need a hole in my head. But I have a lot of ammo. Which is important these days my kids are liking them now ( an auto, and bolt rifle) so when season comes up in a couple weeks I don't want to be left out in the cold I like them also. So when they sneeze at the single shot I am golden.