Dec 21-Dec 22 Catch list for all to post

furtaker

I does help that the set in that picture is on a corner where almost every coyote that ever comes through there has to walk right by it. And with it blowed up with a big catch circle it gets noticed. I even had a wild hog root my trap up the other night.
Gotta love locations like that.

sportsman94

I'm waiting for a picture of one with a DLS trap attached to his foot.

I put a big hole in my waders the other day while goose hunting so I’m trying to stay high and dry for everything. I’m cherry picking the crossover trails, but I think I could really put a hurting on them if I set all the creeks. Once they start to avoid the conibears I’ll probably pull them and start setting footholds. Opposite of what I should have done, but I REALLY didn’t want to get wet and I’m not getting paid to catch them so it’s ok for me to cherry pick! I do have two dls at dirt holes waiting for the canines to come through though!

furtaker

I put a big hole in my waders the other day while goose hunting so I’m trying to stay high and dry for everything. I’m cherry picking the crossover trails, but I think I could really put a hurting on them if I set all the creeks. Once they start to avoid the conibears I’ll probably pull them and start setting footholds. Opposite of what I should have done, but I REALLY didn’t want to get wet and I’m not getting paid to catch them so it’s ok for me to cherry pick! I do have two dls at dirt holes waiting for the canines to come through though!
Yeah, I was talking about coyotes. Otters are fine too, though! :cheers:

sportsman94

I did ride a section of property I have never been back to before and found plenty of coyote sign so I’ll hopefully put traps over there at some point. I’m a lot more scared of setting these ag fields now than I was in my younger days. Gets expensive to lose traps to machinery!

sportsman94

This is probably my most frustrating season on predators. Not missing them necessarily, just setting on good sign and then seeing little to no fresh sign after that. Hopefully it’ll pick up soon. One beaver carcass I had staked down got hit last night. May go back and cut a leg off and make a dirt hole In the area. Already have a scent post there.

Another otter in a 220 today. Caught by the tail. Must have been moving through quickly. Messed up the trail so I’ll have to move it back down to the next pinch point.

C6166E4B-863A-4723-BDAB-C89E04551A71.jpeg

sleepr71

32253D8A-C324-4DD9-99A9-39742AE284C7.jpeg9D6DB360-B3E6-4E62-B9C3-8C6299B0263F.jpeg
Had this guy today when I got home. He was pretty laid back until I walked up to him & when I put that choke stick on him..it reminded me of that old Jerry Clower skit where he begged Marcel to just shoot up there amongst them…??‍??. I got him out & released him..very alive..but I’ll admit..the pucker factor was pretty high..? Same place as I caught that Coyote,then the Buzzard. I remade that set..poked some cat poop & bait down the hole & scattered more scat around. Before he got into the trap though…he scratched & dug about 3 ft BEHIND the big rock & dirt hole. Odd…

Last edited:

sportsman94

View attachment 1132057View attachment 1132059
Had this guy today when I got home. He was pretty laid back until I walked up to him & when I put that choke stick on him..it reminded me of that old Jerry Clower skit where he begged Marcel to just shoot up there amongst them…??‍??. I got him out & released him..very alive..but I’ll admit..the pucker factor was pretty high..? Same place as I caught that Coyote,then the Buzzard. I remade that set..poked some cat poop & bait down the hole & scattered more scat around. Before he got into the trap though…he scratched & dug about 3 ft BEHIND the big rock & dirt hole. Odd…

Very pretty cat! Congrats. May have Scratched back there after he sprayed the area. A kick back

sleepr71

Thanks?. First one ever. I’ve been setting only high ground & open fields as that’s where the Coyotes tend to travel the most. The Coyotes & Coons are my target. I bet I can count on one hand all of the Bobcats I’ve ever seen on our farm,usually in the thick Swamp..so I let this one go. Coyotes are different…those devils will come in our yard,walk around my tractors,shop,cars,etc & kill everything they can catch ?.

Doug B.

View attachment 1132057View attachment 1132059
Nice catch! That is a pretty one! It's always an adventure to release a cat.

Doug B.

Thanks?. First one ever. I’ve been setting only high ground & open fields as that’s where the Coyotes tend to travel the most. The Coyotes & Coons are my target. I bet I can count on one hand all of the Bobcats I’ve ever seen on our farm,usually in the thick Swamp..so I let this one go. Coyotes are different…those devils will come in our yard,walk around my tractors,shop,cars,etc & kill everything they can catch ?.
Bobcats are very reclusive. They don't show themselves regularly. I caught three out of the same trap on three consecutive checks a couple of years ago. I had never seen a cat there before or since. But I have caught more bobcats there since then.

Turning it loose is fine if that's what you decide to do. I would much rather see a cat that is native to here released than an invasive coyote.

furtaker

Pretty cat. I turn them loose too. They're about the coolest animals in the woods in my opinion.