Did you reload anything today #4

menhadenman

Sorry I been quiet, youngest two boys cranking on football and I’ve got a boat, dirtbike, and truck that need work while keeping the misses happy.

I have a goal to bag a deer, bear, hog, and elk this season (hopefully kids on the trigger), aka superfecta.

Kids are loving the last few days of summer tho.

8CE0D7C5-7859-4292-9993-378ECB1E49DF.jpeg

Adam5

We worked on some on my 10mm GSSF loads, and stocked up on some .38 Spl this afternoon.

250 10mm that are a 165gr Xtreme flat point over 6.7gr of W231.

550 .38 Spl that are Xtreme 158gr semi wadcutter over 4.3gr of W232.

rosewood

We worked on some on my 10mm GSSF loads, and stocked up on some .38 Spl this afternoon.

250 10mm that are a 165gr Xtreme flat point over 6.7gr of W231.

550 .38 Spl that are Xtreme 158gr semi wadcutter over 4.3gr of W232.
<homer simpson> Mmmmm...10mm </Homer simpson>

Jester896

Senior Clown
I did the QC for about 2K .223s my buddy started loading before I got there.

When we finished that... we inlet the CDI bottom metal in a rifle I brought up for a friend.

Then we sent some .308s

I forgot to mention it...that Frankford Pile Driver will set off jacked up .223 primers. You can't even hear them the thing is so loud. I set off at least 6 in the 100 I broke down to recover bullets and powder.

Last edited:

Dub

I did the QC for about 2K .223s my buddy started loading before I got there.

When we finished that... we inlet the CDI bottom metal in a rifle I brought up for a friend.

Then we sent some .308s

I forgot to mention it...that Frankford Pile Driver will set off jacked up .223 primers. You can't even hear them the thing is so loud. I set off at least 6 in the 100 I broke down to recover bullets and powder.

Two thousand rounds of QC is no small feat.

Sending some .308 is highly relevant to my interests....planning on doing the same next week.

That is concerning on the pile driver primer killer. :unsure:
I appreciate the heads up. All I knew about it was it was gonna be loud....wasn't expecting detonations. Being honest here....jacked up situations is exactly what I bought the thing for.

I'll proceed with caution.

I may just keep using the hammer (using shellholder vs the rubber band collet).

Jester896

Senior Clown
@Dub most of the time the primer isn't jacked up with hand loading like a Dillon 1050 with a drive will do. I kept asking my buddy what he thought the yellow stuff on the bullets was...I would see smoke every once in a while but didn't connect it. It was taking on average three strokes to pull the bullet from the crimped case. The all of a sudden I saw the flash and the smoke. It is certainly a learning curve using this thing. Any fingers should be below the knob when the down stroke takes place. It would have taken 3 times as long to do them with a kinetic hammer. I'm not sure the powder went off every time...just the primer:huh:
For large quantities this thing is a plus for sure. If it wasn't crimped it would come out on the first stroke I bet. I keep telling my buddy I'm going to bring it home since he will not us it. I think he is hooked on how fast that went. We only had 2K of the 55gr BTHP bullets we were using and needed them all.

He had a powder measure fail on the machine this week and got about 300 loaded before he caught it. I started to do those while it was clamped in the mill vice...then the whole lunch thing happen and the fat kid got his grub on and forgot about them.

Buy extra foam pieces if you can...they will not last long with pointed bullets.

Dub

@Dub most of the time the primer isn't jacked up with hand loading like a Dillon 1050 with a drive will do. I kept asking my buddy what he thought the yellow stuff on the bullets was...I would see smoke every once in a while but didn't connect it. It was taking on average three strokes to pull the bullet from the crimped case. The all of a sudden I saw the flash and the smoke. It is certainly a learning curve using this thing. Any fingers should be below the knob when the down stroke takes place. It would have taken 3 times as long to do them with a kinetic hammer. I'm not sure the powder went off every time...just the primer:huh:
For large quantities this thing is a plus for sure. If it wasn't crimped it would come out on the first stroke I bet. I keep telling my buddy I'm going to bring it home since he will not us it. I think he is hooked on how fast that went. We only had 2K of the 55gr BTHP bullets we were using and needed them all.

He had a powder measure fail on the machine this week and got about 300 loaded before he caught it. I started to do those while it was clamped in the mill vice...then the whole lunch thing happen and the fat kid got his grub on and forgot about them.

Buy extra foam pieces if you can...they will not last long with pointed bullets.

Great insight....I'll also keep this in mind when figuring out where I'm going to mount it. Thanks. (y)

rosewood

I had the pile driver in my midway cart when it was on sale for $39 and was being greedy waiting on free shipping and missed it before it jumped back to $59.

Dub

Used another 100 of the Argentine sp primers for some .38 Super rounds loaded on the Co-Ax.

IMG_9643.jpegIMG_9625.jpegIMG_9624.jpegIMG_9626.jpegIMG_9628.jpeg

Redding dies used...no seating stem options....not bad but a bit of deformation noticeable. I'll give the next batch more depth on the expander.
IMG_9631.jpeg

Taper crimp and gauged 'em. No problems evident. Fed a couple from a full mag into my DW PM-38 from a WC ETM mag...right into battery.
Well see how they do at the range.
IMG_9633.jpeg

I feel like they could use more taper crimp....but I didn't want to get too aggressive with the lswc.

IMG_9635.jpeg

rosewood

If she had said Large Rifle Primers she would have been saved sooner and gotten some Starbucks.
Guessing that Meme is dated. When the primer drought started, SP and SR were unobtanium. You could still find LP and LR, but not it has flipped.

I picked up 3 boxes of CCI LR from Academy for like $40 per 1k after while the ammo lines were forming at door opening on truck day well into the panic.

Rosewood

Reactions: Dub

Dub

If she had said Large Rifle Primers she would have been saved sooner and gotten some Starbucks.

I'll baristo for her....grind dem beans just right....pour-over at the right pace....and whip it up. There'd be no liberal Starbucks nose ring shenanigans involved.

Jester896

Senior Clown
@Dub that is one of the downfalls of Redding Pistol dies. They are best suited for RN bullets. I like them for bottleneck rifle though. Most of my pistol or straight wall case dies are RCBS.

Reactions: Dub

Dub

@Dub that is one of the downfalls of Redding Pistol dies. They are best suited for RN bullets. I like them for bottleneck rifle though. Most of my pistol or straight wall case dies are RCBS.

(y) Roger that.

Most of my coated lead bullets for 9mm/.38Super are round nose or truncated cone types.

I have accumulated an assortment to get started with and see what I finally dial in on. Once dialed in I can always use some JB Weld or epoxy to fill a spare stem and mold it to the desired profile.

I'll get more of the gear unpacked and the Dillon .38 Super dies will be found. Probably this evening, in fact, as there is also a reloading manual stashed in one of the boxes and I need the data from it asap.

Dub

Loaded 100 9mm this morning.
Norma brass.

IMG_9646.jpegIMG_9647.jpeg

Dillon round nose seater used on these. No deformation other than a slight ring in the lower ogive area.
IMG_9660.jpegIMG_9655.jpeg
Shot 'em up this afternoon.
Ran well. Smooth.
Going to bump up the charge slightly and see if that cleans them up...even though they were fairly clean burning.