Did you Reload anything today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Why would they be hard to load?

I haven't loaded any. One of my buddies tried to load some for a friend of his and he has a real hard time seating the Hornady FTX bullets he was using. Not like crush it from the crimp feature..like collapse the case....the issue could have been the cases...just know he hard a hard time.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I haven't loaded any. One of my buddies tried to load some for a friend of his and he has a real hard time seating the Hornady FTX bullets he was using. Not like crush it from the crimp feature..like collapse the case....the issue could have been the cases...just know he hard a hard time.
Oh ok I see what you mean.
I use the Hornady 4 die set.
I barely and I mean barely (like have a hard time even feeling it with fingers) flare the mouth just enough for the base of a bullet to not catch any case. I lightly chamfer inside and out also . I have not had a problem with crushing or collapsing cases and crimp to .474 at the very top of the case mouth.
I load the 225gr FTX and 250gr FTX , 245gr Spire Point and 260gr Platinum without issues.

30-338

I had wanted a big bore upper for a while and last October Midway had the 450 Bushmaster 16" uppers on sale. This was the Bushmaster brand, not the AR-Stoner. I finally got around to loading some ammo this past weekend and the first bullet I attempted to seat crushed one side of the case. After that I made sure the bullet was aligned with the case and gently pulled down on the handle when seating the bullets. A few times I had to raise the handle and re-align the bullet. The expander die puts a slight chamfer on the case mouth but the bullet has to be lined up with the case. I was using Lee dies and new Starline cases. I shot a few rounds at 50 yards to get the scope sighted in and the accuracy seemed pretty good. Just passing along my experience in response to the above 450 Bushmaster statements. I attached a picture of the remainder of the loaded ammo and the components. I used Lil' Gun powder.

Attachments

• IMG_1476[273].jpg
    IMG_1476[273].jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I had wanted a big bore upper for a while and last October Midway had the 450 Bushmaster 16" uppers on sale. This was the Bushmaster brand, not the AR-Stoner. I finally got around to loading some ammo this past weekend and the first bullet I attempted to seat crushed one side of the case. After that I made sure the bullet was aligned with the case and gently pulled down on the handle when seating the bullets. A few times I had to raise the handle and re-align the bullet. The expander die puts a slight chamfer on the case mouth but the bullet has to be lined up with the case. I was using Lee dies and new Starline cases. I shot a few rounds at 50 yards to get the scope sighted in and the accuracy seemed pretty good. Just passing along my experience in response to the above 450 Bushmaster statements. I attached a picture of the remainder of the loaded ammo and the components. I used Lil' Gun powder.
Do you chamfer the inside of the case and lightly flare the case mouth?
Hornady had a 4 die set which I've really come to like being a huge RCBS fan.

chuckdog

With any new brass you need to debur and chamfer before loading.

The .450 procedure is the same as a .45 ACP.

Size, prime, slight case mouth expansion. Just enough to smoothly start your projectile in, charge the case, seat at desired length and basically taper crimp enough to remove the previous case mouth expansion.

I admit I'm no fan of rifle cartridges that headspace off the case mouth, but they're not difficult to load.

Dub

Oh ok I see what you mean.
I use the Hornady 4 die set.
I barely and I mean barely (like have a hard time even feeling it with fingers) flare the mouth just enough for the base of a bullet to not catch any case. I lightly chamfer inside and out also . I have not had a problem with crushing or collapsing cases and crimp to .474 at the very top of the case mouth.
I load the 225gr FTX and 250gr FTX , 245gr Spire Point and 260gr Platinum without issues.

I have my fingers crossed over those FTX bullets.

The 200gr .452 in particular. They were outa stock for a fairly long while but now are popping up everywhere. Seems PV has them for the best price....but a 2-box limit. Brownells has no limit on the order quantity....but are $4 a box higher.

I've been adding them here & there to orders.

Will be loading them in a .460 S&W wheelgun. I've shot a few boxes of the factory loads with this bullet in my buddy's .460's and they really were impressive on longer range accuracy.

Gonna have fun playing around with this 'un. Plan on getting some glass on it at some point.

Stroker

With any new brass you need to debur and chamfer before loading.

The .450 procedure is the same as a .45 ACP.

Size, prime, slight case mouth expansion. Just enough to smoothly start your projectile in, charge the case, seat at desired length and basically taper crimp enough to remove the previous case mouth expansion.

I admit I'm no fan of rifle cartridges that headspace off the case mouth, but they're not difficult to load.

I don't load anything without a shoulder or rim, keeps things simple for a old man.

Nimrod71

After my weekend range trip it is time to load up again. I had a good day at the range. I have been having issues with 2 rifles so I went back to some old loading just to see if it was me or the rifle. I found out it was the new loads I was using in the rifles. Since i shot up all the loads for the 6 mm and 22-250 I am at the bench this morning. Today I will be going back to trying to the Sierra 70 M.K. in the 6 mm and the 55 gr. Dogtown in the 22-250. I am trying IMR 4064 in both. We will see how they work out, at least I will get to smell the powder burn. I love the smell of burning powder in the morning.

Dub

After my weekend range trip it is time to load up again. I had a good day at the range. I have been having issues with 2 rifles so I went back to some old loading just to see if it was me or the rifle. I found out it was the new loads I was using in the rifles. Since i shot up all the loads for the 6 mm and 22-250 I am at the bench this morning. Today I will be going back to trying to the Sierra 70 M.K. in the 6 mm and the 55 gr. Dogtown in the 22-250. I am trying IMR 4064 in both. We will see how they work out, at least I will get to smell the powder burn. I love the smell of burning powder in the morning.

Nimrod, I can't tell you how much I enjoy reading your posts.

I very much appreciate being taken along on the adventures folks here are having. It's fun keeping up with what people have going on and it is mighty relaxing looking forward to the future range days when I'll be able to narrate my missteps and successes.

Lots to learn and enjoy here on Woodys firearms forum every day. (y)

What do you attribute the issues were with the newer loads ? Sounds like you are changing powders.

Looking forward to seeing what direction you head in next.

Nimrod71

Dub, I have been shooting the 6 mm and 22-250 rifles for over 35 years and I have loads that are dead on target. My current 6 mm likes the Sierra 85 gr. HPBT over IMR 4895 and the current 22-250 likes the Sierra 55 gr. over IMR 4895. I have just been trying to come up with other bullets and powders that give the same or better results. Yes the difference is both powder and bullet. I have bought a lot of less expensive bullets and several different powders to work with. The new loads shoot good enough to hunt with but not good enough for head shots on pond cooters.

I purchased a Savage 11 in 223 in 2019, I got it to carry on my side X side, 4 wheeler and in the boat these can really spell trouble of a nice wood stock mod. 70. Anyway, the Savage has taken well to AA 2520 and Dogtown bullets. I haven't got it ready for cooter heads yet but it is showing promise. I think is will be good for hogs and coyotes too.

rosewood

I haven’t completed any reloads today but I have decapped and cleaned a bunch of .223, .308 and 30-06 cases.
Ahh, that is the easy part, trimming is where the heavy lifting comes into play. I would almost pay someone to do that for me.

Roebuck

“Fishal Spokesman” Useles Billy Club !
Ahh, that is the easy part, trimming is where the heavy lifting comes into play. I would almost pay someone to do that for me.

Yeah, case trimming is the worst part of the job. So I‘ve got to step up and resize and trim today.

Status
Not open for further replies.