Doing a little prep for tomorrow.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
We just got home from Gainesville.
My daughter is working tonight so we took two plates of goodies to her & her crew -
1. venison jalapeño/cheddar summer sausage, 4 different cheeses & crackers.
2. Assorted homemade sweets.

She's coming here in the morning when she gets off.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Looking good, brother. Merry Christmas and happy new year to you and the family!

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Yes sir. 5 minutes per lb.
Looks great to this smoking uninitiate.
I can do steak or burgers on a grill but a large chunk of meat I'm having trouble with. Especially venison.
Could you and @The Original Rooster elaborate?
... as to how long at 500°... and then?
Would this apply to the standing rib roast only or as a general rule for any near sized piece of meat? Such as a brisket? On the grill? Temp to to maintain on grill for second step?
Many Q's... maybe I should start a beginners thread or check the stickies...
Merry Christmas yall...

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I can do steak or burgers on a grill but a large chunk of meat I'm having trouble with. Especially venison.
Would this apply to the standing rib roast only or as a general rule for any near sized piece of meat? Such as a brisket? On the grill? Temp to to maintain on grill for second step?
Merry Christmas yall...
Never tried it with any other cut, but the 5 minutes per pound at 500 degrees for a rib roast, cut the oven off and then letting it sit in the oven for 2 hours while it cools down gives you somewhere between medium and medium rare usually. Worked last year anyway.
I would think a thinner cut of meat would get dried out doing it that way but some other roasts might work. Maybe I'll try it sometime.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Yep. 500° Oven. Cook 5 minutes per lb. Then turn oven off & leave roast inside for 2 hours. Delicious!

WaltL1

I want a piece of that cornbread!

B. White

I did mine at 250 for 3-4 hrs (didn't time it) until it got to 128 internal and let it sit on top of the stove until we got ready for supper. Put it back in at 550 for about 15 mins (smoke alarm goes off at 10) and cut the oven off but left it in about another 5. We liked it better this way than other ways we've done, but I think it would be hard to make it not good no matter what.

JDBrown

Merry Christmas yall...
I put the roast in at 450 for 15 minutes, then turn it down to 325, I use a remote probe thermometer and keep a check on it, I take it out when internal temp hits 120-125, cover it and let it rest about 10 minutes, it'll be around medium. Merry Christmas!