First Gun for my Son

ChidJ

I love guns so ever since I had a kid I’ve awaited the day he could go shoot with me with the greatest of anticipation.

Except, I’ve run into a problem. While my son can shoot many of my guns, he burns the ammo too quickly. He is 4 and doesn’t really understand the concept of pacing himself on our little range.

So I’d like y’all’s input. I’m looking for a gun that can be his when we go to the range or to the woods. I’d like it to be in a usable, common caliber, I’d like it to be quality (something that will last his lifetime), something with iron sights, and not semi auto so I can throttle the rate of fire haha.

NO 22s

A couple guns I like, in theory, are the Ruger No. 1 in 44mag or the Mossberg MVP in 223. What do y’all think?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
A couple guns I like, in theory, are the Ruger No. 1 in 44mag or the Mossberg MVP in 223. What do y’all think?

probably too much gun for a kid that age. Center fire rounds are going to cost a lot more than rimfire, and the guns that are chambered for center fire are going to weigh more than rimfire.

I think you need to reconsider the .22

Single shot bolt action, with peep sights would be a good choice.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Yep a good ol 22 has lasted my lifetime and I’m just as proud of it as any other I own. My kids will own it along with the bigger calibers one day.

SC Hunter

To keep him from burning ammo up buy him a single shot 22. Ammo is cheap when your able to find it and the single shot will keep the shooting slow.

ChidJ

I lock him into a shooting sled for safety so recoil really isn’t an issue. He shoots 556, 545, and 762 just fine. I really really really don’t want a 22 and I already have a lot of normal calibers stacked deep and I dunno, I just don’t want to spend money on a 22. I know, I’m a weirdo. Everyone is always baffled as to why among all my guns I don’t have a single 22. Anyways, it’s not so much the cost as it is just making sure we have more time shooting together.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
My nephew is shooting 38’s in my 357 lever action. Zero recoil. 38 ammo is easy to find and cheap.

ChidJ

He shoots out of a Caldwell shooting sled. The rifle is strapped in to a cradle and the sled is held down by weighted bags. He's not shooting offhand. He can't even hold the guns up anyways. He just twists the knobs to adjust his aim.

I tried giving him a BB gun. But he wants to shoot guns like his daddy that make a lot of noise.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
I put a lot of thought in this when my son was young. I was focusing on the right gun for deer hunting. Not too much recoil but powerful enough to kill a deer if he made a halfway decent shot. Also, not a caliber he would outgrow.

I went with 308 caliber, Sims recoil pad & reduced recoil ammo. I started him out shooting my Remington pump.
He killed his 1st deer with it when he was 8.
That Christmas he got his own H&R single shot 308.

ChidJ

@4HAND I did look at those H&R Rifles along with some of the CVAs and the Henrys as well. I've never owned a break action rifle like one of these but I imagine its sort of a hassle to shoot out of a rest. True or nah?

Tight Lines

A basic AR-15 with a collapsable stock is great and they can use it the rest of their lives...

However at 4 I'm with the other guys...I'd get him a BB gun or a Cricket .22, or a single shot .22...and just let him shoot yours until he can handle it...

if you don't want a .22 get him a .22 WMR bolt action so the rounds are still inexpensive, they are loud, and it is a useful varmint weapon...

My progression as a child went like this...BB gun at 3, .22 single shot at 5, .22 revolver at 8, .410 single shot at 10, and then a 20 gauge and a .270 in my teens when I could carry and handle them...still have all of them and my kids will get all of them...

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
@4HAND I did look at those H&R Rifles along with some of the CVAs and the Henrys as well. I've never owned a break action rifle like one of these but I imagine its sort of a hassle to shoot out of a rest. True or nah?
Probably. We didn't use a rest.

hambone76

Ruger 77/357, or a Ranch Bolt Rifle in 300 Blk.

Tight Lines

TTAG has a good list of starter guns...my kids both started on Crickets, then they both got Browning BL22s that they use...my son then got a Ruger Bearcat revolver...all small enough to handle and ammo is cheap...I get the draw to the bigger rounds, and mine can shoot off a bench too....you may be better served to get them started with gun safety and muzzle management, practice purchase, etc. Learning to handle the weapon is as we all know critical to having fun safely with them...

We also have a couple of air rifles that they use in the back yard for that...

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/best-guns-for-kids/