Funerals

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have attended two funerals this week, both heavy on the Christian stuff. It got me to thinking. I have never attended the funeral of an Atheist. I am curious of how that would go?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I have attended two funerals this week, both heavy on the Christian stuff. It got me to thinking. I have never attended the funeral of an Atheist. I am curious of how that would go?
You must wear heavy dark eyeliner, a goat horn pendant, capes...multiple, talk in a monotone voice,

Nah Im just kidding, if Ive ever been at a funeral of an Atheist I didnt know it.
Once dead, the surviving family may send them off with an insurance policy funeral

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten
You must wear heavy dark eyeliner, a goat horn pendant, capes...multiple, talk in a monotone voice,

Nah Im just kidding, if Ive ever been at a funeral of an Atheist I didnt know it.
Once dead, the surviving family may send them off with an insurance policy funeral

Lots of folks plan their own funerals, I have. Maybe an Atheist could shine some light on how they would like theirs to go.
For me, the Preacher gets about 10 minutes, then it's a party.

Artfuldodger

Not from an Atheist perspective but my family has opted out of having funerals. When my Uncle died he didn't have a funeral.

WaltL1

Have never been to an Atheist's funeral. Don't really know any Atheists except for the heathens on here :devilish:
As for me, no funeral. Cremation and my ashes scattered at a location I have chosen.
The thought of being shut up in a box and buried under ground horrifies me.

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten
Have never been to an Atheist's funeral. Don't really know any Atheists except for the heathens on here :devilish:
As for me, no funeral. Cremation and my ashes scattered at a location I have chosen.
The thought of being shut up in a box and buried under ground horrifies me.

I too will be returned to dust. I think embalming is disgusting.

WaltL1

I too will be returned to dust. I think embalming is disgusting.
Geez I never even thought about the embalming part. Yuck. Yeah keep your hoses and nozzles out of my carcass and just slide me into the flames.

660griz

Lots of folks plan their own funerals, I have. Maybe an Atheist could shine some light on how they would like theirs to go.
For me, the Preacher gets about 10 minutes, then it's a party.
I am hoping for cremation and an open bar. I am sure my family will have some religious words to say. Probably something along the lines of the Curly burial in City Slickers. "Lord, we give you 660Griz, try not to **** him off." :)

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I would like to be creamated, have family and friends gather for a picnic and have them put some of my ashes in turkey shotshells so I can be a part of their hunts. The rest of the ashes they can do what they wish with. Bury them or spread them. I won't know the difference.

Baroque Brass

My uncle was an atheist, much to the horror of his two over the top Christian sisters. They did their best to convert him on his death bed. He was cremated, per his request, and we held a very nice memorial service for him.

Lindseys Grandpa

As i was laying in bed awaiting heart surgery i told my wife number 1 bury me in a suit and i am coming back and it will not be pretty. I then told her if not for my Mother still alive at the time she could cremate me and throw my ash's in a big lake where we played golf so ever time somebody hit a ball in it they could say that sorry rascal got my ball. I have been to a couple of funerals of people who were atheist and it appeared to me the family just pretended they were not.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I don’t care for funerals that turn into a sermon. It should be a celebration of the persons life, no matter their belief in my opinion.
I’ve been a fireman to long to get cremated, just stick me in the ground somewhere.

atlashunter

I've given this a good bit of thought and let my family know I don't want my memorial being used for a religious sales pitch by some preacher. I find that very distasteful and that in spite of being the descendant of three lines of preachers before me. If I have time to prepare it, maybe the reading of some final words saying goodbye. An expression of gratitude of not only having won the cosmic lottery of life but also having the great fortune to live a life filled with love, wonderful experiences, and good health. Perhaps the sharing of some ancient words of wisdom on the subject of dealing with death by Seneca. Let the tears flow if they must. Do not hold them back but do not force them either. Grieve in moderation then dry your tears and let go. Live the rest of your life with appreciation of every moment. Forgive me my transgressions and pass on to others whatever good may have come from knowing me. That and perhaps any memories others wanted to share. Maybe a song or two. To me it's a time to come together and mourn a loss but also to celebrate a life and whatever contributions that person made to the world.

I also do not want to be cremated or embalmed. Cremation seems like a waste of the nutrients our bodies could pass on to other life. Embalming seems vain. Throughout our lives we sustain ourselves on the death of other life. Then when our own death comes we put chemicals in our corpse to stall the return of what we took from nature? For what? What exactly are we trying to preserve at that point? Seems more grateful to me to return what we took and more healthy to demonstrate the letting go, that none of it was ever truly ours, only borrowed, and that now we can say enough and return it with a grateful heart. I'd like to be planted somewhere I can feed the trees.

1gr8bldr

Strange way of putting it, but the "best" funeral that I have ever been to was a non church goer, seemingly not a believer. No preaching, not even singing. Just his family, each taking a turn, chairs in the back yard, sharing memory's. It was the most respectful, honoring funeral that I could ever hope for. This is what I want. I need to convey this to my wife, yet, have a hard time planning, as if, that may set something in motion. I hate preaching at funerals. You got Sunday morning, sunday night, wednesday night and more to cram preaching down everyone's throat. It's always the same thing, always the same verses read. Same old ritualistic service. My mother would say that she wants it all to be preaching, hopeful that someone might get saved at her funeral, which I would respect. I admire someone diminishing oneself to exalt another, yet, what she don't realize is how everyone's heard it, potential targets are offended by it, it, being believe or burn, and those leave not with a respect of that one's life, allowing a mindset of a lite shinning, but rather a mindset of offense.

Artfuldodger

I've given this a good bit of thought and let my family know I don't want my memorial being used for a religious sales pitch by some preacher. I find that very distasteful and that in spite of being the descendant of three lines of preachers before me. If I have time to prepare it, maybe the reading of some final words saying goodbye. An expression of gratitude of not only having won the cosmic lottery of life but also having the great fortune to live a life filled with love, wonderful experiences, and good health. Perhaps the sharing of some ancient words of wisdom on the subject of dealing with death by Seneca. Let the tears flow if they must. Do not hold them back but do not force them either. Grieve in moderation then dry your tears and let go. Live the rest of your life with appreciation of every moment. Forgive me my transgressions and pass on to others whatever good may have come from knowing me. That and perhaps any memories others wanted to share. Maybe a song or two. To me it's a time to come together and mourn a loss but also to celebrate a life and whatever contributions that person made to the world.

I also do not want to be cremated or embalmed. Cremation seems like a waste of the nutrients our bodies could pass on to other life. Embalming seems vain. Throughout our lives we sustain ourselves on the death of other life. Then when our own death comes we put chemicals in our corpse to stall the return of what we took from nature? For what? What exactly are we trying to preserve at that point? Seems more grateful to me to return what we took and more healthy to demonstrate the letting go, that none of it was ever truly ours, only borrowed, and that now we can say enough and return it with a grateful heart. I'd like to be planted somewhere I can feed the trees.
Aren't there state laws that one must be embalmed, if not cremated?

I wonder what the laws are for where one can be buried? Can you get buried in your back yard by your pets? I would still think you would have to be embalmed and in a vault.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
I told my wife i want a viking funeral. Put me on a raft and launch some flamin arrows at me.