Have you lost trapped Animals to Coyotes?

sleepr71

Just curious if any of you have lost other(trapped) animals to Coyotes? If so,is it common? I’m not so worried about Furbearers..as I am a neighbors curious dog,or cat. I have about 75 acres of clearcut(that has a few houses about 150 yds through the woods) that we are about to flatten & prep to replant early next year..and Yotes love to travel the perimeter of it?

Last edited:

Doug B.

I caught a bobcat last year the first night of trapping season. It was dead when I got there that morning and the tracks in the plowed dirt showed that a pack of coyotes had killed it. That's the only thing I have had killed by them but I would guess that a single coyote wouldn't kill a dog in a trap but a pack might.

sportsman94

I’ve been trapping for about 10 years and catch pretty small numbers. Most of my trapping is done in farm country. The guy who taught me to trap had a grey fox killed on his line one of the first times I checked with him. I have had two catches killed by coyotes that I can think of. This grey fox and a bobcat. I’ve had a couple other critters attacked in the traps, but can’t say for sure it was a coyote those times. All that being said, it doesn’t seem to be too common, but it can and does happen.

Attachments

• F1AEDD9C-7619-4EA7-930F-21D19DAC0DE3.jpeg
    F1AEDD9C-7619-4EA7-930F-21D19DAC0DE3.jpeg
    348.5 KB · Views: 65

buckpasser

I’ve had coyotes attack the neighbor’s bull dog when he was caught deep within the plantation in a foothold. Captured it all on cell cam. The dog somehow pulled out unscathed to be caught again later. He apparently howled nonstop drawing them in. No problems with any other catches. I have had bobcats drag out conibear caught beavers.

I've got a horror story.

Feral cat caught in a foothold. I'm being paid to catch the ferals. I'm not on site.
"Domestic" dog attacks and kills cat. Then disappears.
Client's employee calls AC instead of me as instructed.
AC shows up declares trap to be illegal, #11 longspring.
While standing there second feral cat caught in another trap. AC safely removes cat uninjured and sends it home with client employee.
I'm charged with two misdemeanor animal cruelty charges they try on the traps but realize they're full of, the traps are perfectly legal. Basis for charges, the traps being used.
I opt for trial.
Employer throws me under the bus.
When GA Code regarding animal cruelty "shall not apply to an animal or pest to be removed from a home or business" is read to the judge she replies, "but Mr McLeod, you don't understand state law does not apply in Spalding County".
Since second cat was unharmed and released that charge dropped.
Found guilty on the first, not for the use of a trap but for the death by dog I didn't own or have control over.

That was over ten years ago and the same idiot still sits on the bench.

But in hindsight one dead cat got me away from the crook I worked for, long since gone bankrupt, and allowed me to hang out my own shingle.

sleepr71

Wow…so state laws don’t apply in Spalding Co?? Say whut :crazy: FWIW,this will be on my personal property & checked daily. I may even put cell cams over a few,to help monitor them.

sleepr71

I have personally witnessed Coyotes running in to eat a Grey Fox that we called in one night. After shooting the fox, we went back to Calling after about five minutes, and three coyotes ran in as hard as they could straight to that fox that was laying out there. I guess they could smell him and fresh blood… So I have no doubts that they will eat a fox if they can?

Last edited: