Hearing protection for hunting

Bjrink

Looking to upgrade from the walker game ear muffs to a better option. Using the muffs while hunting allows me to hear waaay more than without. However directional noise goes out the window and a buck grunting could be standing behind you and you never know. Thanks for any advise!

Bobby Bigtime

I used to use a pair of silencio plugs that had a noise canceling valve in them they certainly didn't enhance anything but still allowed somewhat normal hearing and were not cumbersome like muffs. Couldn't afford the fancy stuff but they did cancel the 350 rem mag.

GeorgiaGlockMan

Interested in what you find.

I have several walkers (4 or 5 pairs). They work pretty well for me. If there is something better, I would like to know.

ditchdoc24

I use the Howard Leight Impact Sport electronic muffs when I'm in the woods during gun season. It's amazing what you can hear with them. I hear the wind over birds wings as they fly by.

cowhornedspike

My Howard Leights have great directional locating ability ... my Walkers had none. HL beats Walkers all day long and are waaaay less expensive to boot.

Bjrink

The latest meat eater podcast talked about hearing loss and said most men lose high frequency first and women low frequency. I want to make sure mine doesn’t get worse than it already has. Wife may get more upset!!!

Reactions: Dub

GeorgiaGlockMan

The latest meat eater podcast talked about hearing loss and said most men lose high frequency first and women low frequency. I want to make sure mine doesn’t get worse than it already has. Wife may get more upset!!!
I believe it. Its nature.

Husbands can't hear wives.

Wives can't hear husbands.

Newt2

In my 50 years of hunting I have never worn hearing protection. I've always experienced that when a shot is fired at game, for some reason, I don't hear the shot per se. Just never felt the need for it.

Dub

Part of the satisfaction of hunting is time spent alone in the woods….away from technology…..a nice long peaceful walk away from anything.

While in the woods I don’t fancy the idea of sliding on a pair of ear muffs or stuffing in some plugs (I wear those long enough at work)…….but……it is 2021 after all.

There is comfortable tech available that won’t ruin the experience and will preserve hearing. It may not be cheap, but in the long run I will be grateful.

I also have a gun that has an integral brake….I do wish to hunt with it on occasion. Hearing protection is not optional with such a gun. It is a mist.

To each his own. It is 2021…..there are good options if one chooses.

Bjrink

Part of the satisfaction of hunting is time spent alone in the woods….away from technology…..a nice long peaceful walk away from anything.

While in the woods I don’t fancy the idea of sliding on a pair of ear muffs or stuffing in some plugs (I wear those long enough at work)…….but……it is 2021 after all.

There is comfortable tech available that won’t ruin the experience and will preserve hearing. It may not be cheap, but in the long run I will be grateful.

I also have a gun that has an integral brake….I do wish to hunt with it on occasion. Hearing protection is not optional with such a gun. It is a mist.

To each his own. It is 2021…..there are good options if one chooses.

Our time in the woods is priceless, I just wonder how much I have missed (sounds). I was advised by my wife I should get my ears checked. We have decent insurance and I am very curious what an “audiologist” would say and maybe recommend proper hearing aid/protection. 25 years of construction has been a little rough on this body and any help I can get I will take.

Reactions: Dub

nmurph

I have Walker Razors that I use for shooting. Sometimes I carry them hunting and other times I just carry a regular pair of muffs. Either way, you can bet they are on my head when the gun fires unless a a 200" buck walks out. Then all bets are off. Seriously, I keep them stretched over my leg and it only takes a second to slide them on. Putting them on has never kept me from making a shot.

treemanjohn

Banned
I have severe tinnitus. Theyre ringing right now. Too many gun shots and electric guitars. If I could go back and wear hearing protection I would in a second

Indoor ranges are the worst because of the concussion and reverberation with everyone's shots. Too many gun competitions indoors killed my ears even with plugs and passive muffs.

My next biggest offender was driving with the windows down in trucks, atvs, and motorbikes. Protect it while you can

Dub

I have severe tinnitus. Theyre ringing right now. Too many gun shots and electric guitars. If I could go back and wear hearing protection I would in a second

Indoor ranges are the worst because of the concussion and reverberation with everyone's shots. Too many gun competitions indoors killed my ears even with plugs and passive muffs.

My next biggest offender was driving with the windows down in trucks, atvs, and motorbikes. Protect it while you can

Hate to hear that.

My brother-in-law suffers from tinnitus as well. It’s is bad.

Navy, industry and lifelong hunter had cumulative impact to his unprotected hearing.

I hope he never shares my arthritis and I don’t care to share his ear ringing, headaches and loss of sleep from that stuff. (y)(y)

rosewood

Just plain ear bud type blue tooth head sets works good for noise reduction. I have some around the neck JBL brand ear buds and have used them on occasion for noise reduction. They are not designed for it, but in a pinch they work quite well. Only thing is, they reduce the sound of everything. I use them when cutting grass and running the weed eater (listening to music of course) and then wear them when hunting. Of course, I have to have a few secs to insert them since you don't want to leave them while listening for feets.

Rosewood