Help! Rifle spraying bullets all over the place

44magpastor

Earlier this week, I got out my Ruger 44 carbine, to check the scope. It wears a Leupold VX2 2-7X33.

Standard rifle target, set up at about 60 yards. Solid rest to shoot from.

First two shots appear to be in the same hole, about 3 inches left.
Third shot doesn't even hit the paper.

I assume I just pulled the third one off, and started adjusting the scope, to the right.

I never got close. And couldn't get the rifle to shoot consistently enough to know how to adjust the scope. Several times I would not even hit the paper.

My last four shots, I didn't touch the scope. Shots 1 and 2 were dead center, but about 2 inches high. Shots 3 and 4 were 2 inches high still....but now about 5 inches to the right.

I used the same ammo the whole time.
I checked my rings and they were tight.
I checked my base and it was solid.

Any ideas on what might be going on, and how to fix it?

BeerThirty

Take the scope off and shoot with another scope or iron sights. See how well it patterns. If it's still shooting all over, you have something else going on. My dad's gun did this years ago, unfortunately he had a stress fracture in his barrel right where it met the receiver/frame.

Waddams

I had this on a Rem 783 .243 a few years ago. Turned out two of the screws holding the scope on the base had walked loose. Sounds like that might not be your problem, you say everything is solid, but maybe double check anyway. On mine, nothings was moving detectable to the eye. I ended up taking an allen wrench and checking. The screws weren't loose enough to be wiggly, but they turned very very easy. I ended up taking them out one at a time, lock titing them, and tightening them all down again. It hasn't shifted point of impact at 100 yrds by a mm since then (about 2 years).

Lilly001

Start with the scope. Check mounting. Maybe use a replacement if you have one. Then the rifle. Check for anything loose or broken. Make sure the bore and action are clean and tight.
If it once shot well there is a reason for it changing. A progressive plan is better than a haphazard approach.

Hillbilly stalker

What bullets are you shooting ? If I not mistaken they were designed for 225 grain. I been told NOT to shoot lead bullets, jacketed only because they shave off and get in the gas system. My buddy went thru 3 different scopes on his (Weaver fixed power). I have a Nikon on both of mine and have never had a problem.

44magpastor

What bullets are you shooting ? If I not mistaken they were designed for 225 grain. I been told NOT to shoot lead bullets, jacketed only because they shave off and get in the gas system. My buddy went thru 3 different scopes on his (Weaver fixed power). I have a Nikon on both of mine and have never had a problem.

Hornady 240 gr JHP

44magpastor

I had this on a Rem 783 .243 a few years ago. Turned out two of the screws holding the scope on the base had walked loose. Sounds like that might not be your problem, you say everything is solid, but maybe double check anyway. On mine, nothings was moving detectable to the eye. I ended up taking an allen wrench and checking. The screws weren't loose enough to be wiggly, but they turned very very easy. I ended up taking them out one at a time, lock titing them, and tightening them all down again. It hasn't shifted point of impact at 100 yrds by a mm since then (about 2 years).

Appreciate it. I took and allen wrench and checked. All the screws are tight.

44magpastor

I appreciate the responses so far.

Have checked the screws with an allen wrench and they are tight.
I think I will take the scope off, and shoot it iron sights, to see if it is still inconsistent. What has be baffled is how the point of impact was so different, without moving the scope.

It seems fine for a couple of shots....then one goes into Kansas!

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
Hornady 240 gr JHP
Is this the same round you have been shooting? I have a BAR in .270 that I had this problem with. Had several different 150gr loads that shoot wonderfully out of my 700 and 783 and spent half a day trying to sight in the BAR with to no avail. Just happened to have a half a box of 130gr loads I had picked up somewhere and said "What the heck, what can it hurt?". Been shooting 130's out of it ever since. 3 different loads and all shoot just fine.

44magpastor

Is this the same round you have been shooting? I have a BAR in .270 that I had this problem with. Had several different 150gr loads that shoot wonderfully out of my 700 and 783 and spent half a day trying to sight in the BAR with to no avail. Just happened to have a half a box of 130gr loads I had picked up somewhere and said "What the heck, what can it hurt?". Been shooting 130's out of it ever since. 3 different loads and all shoot just fine.

Yes. This is the same round I've always used.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Easiest thing to do is clean it well, then check for loose screws. I saw that you checked the scope screws but you'd have to take the scope off to check the base screws (unless you have some over/under sights on it.)
Next check the action screw and I have a Ruger 44/96 which has a barrel band. Not sure if your carbine has one also but that might need to be snugged up if so.
Jester made a good suggestion about a pressure point when heating up also.
Erratic spraying of bullets usually means something is loose especially if the gun was known to shoot well at some point.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
If it's the old original one, the stocks were bad to crack right behind the action down the wrist, iirc..Lots of info out there on it.

Any wiggle could cause your issue..

Those little guns could be rough on scopes too, I seem to remember.

That's all I got, other than what's already been mentioned. I hope you get it working again. They are very cool little rifles! I love mine.

GunnSmokeer

I'd put another scope on it in case some thing in your rifle scope broke internally.

The scope you put on it for a test does not need to be a high power, high-quality scope-- just one that you know works, and doesn't have any loose lenses, loose crosshairs, or broken gears for the elevation and windage turrets.

Latest posts