Help! Rifle spraying bullets all over the place

Buckstop

I'd give it 5 or 10 minutes between shots after the first two. Barrel heat can make them fling all over the target in some lighter barrel rigs. Especially in warmer weather.

krizia829

I had something similar happen to my Remington 700. Although it's a bolt action, I found it strange that it would shoot like that. Turns out, my scope was bent. I forgot that I had fallen in the woods on a previous trip and landed sideways but on top of my rifle and I missed a doe like 3 times within 100 yards and when I went back to the range, I was about 10" off. The tube on the scope was bent. Once I replaced it, I was back on the money. I have a Ruger 44 Carbine as well with a Leupold VX Freedom scope and shoot the Hornady Leverevolution rounds and it's dead on. Check your optic. Hope this helps!

44magpastor

I'd give it 5 or 10 minutes between shots after the first two. Barrel heat can make them fling all over the target in some lighter barrel rigs. Especially in warmer weather.

You might be right. I thought about that, but then I thought, "Its a semi-auto. It should be designed to shoot several times in a row".

It was spraying after 3 shots

44magpastor

You might be right. I thought about that, but then I thought, "Its a semi-auto. It should be designed to shoot several times in a row".

Were all the holes uniform? Do any appear to be misshapen? Bullets may be a bit undersized causing them to tumble.

Those old carbines are notorious for cracking stocks, and minute of deer accuracy. To me your description sounds like optics or undersized bullets.

Different ammo and a known intact scope to try.

Last edited:

Waddams

One other thing I've had happen before. I had an old scope that came with a rifle. It shot well, for a while. Then, similar symptoms as you. Checked base mount, checked screws, etc. All tight. Can't figure it out, think I'm just jerking shots badly. Put it in a rest. Still throwing one badly every 4 shots or so, but without adjustment the next two shots are money. Now I'm really perplexed.

Then the innards in the scope all came loose. The lenses came loose, couldn't see a thing through it. I think the lenses were jumping a little in the scope tube and it was early indicator the scope was structurally failing.

Bought a new scope, got it mounted and sighted, and no issues I couldn't figure out since.

leroy

Not same brand gun but I bought a older BAR 30-06 at local pawn put new scope on and it was doing exactly as you are saying called gunsmith and he said first off take it apart and clean all the gas components did that and it fixed it.