How to get deer using feeders?

Meriwether Mike

I put out a trough feeder and am wanting to know if there is a trick to getting the deer to use it? I had to put it in a special area due to the presence of cattle on the lease. It has been out two weeks and only the squirrels have hit it so far. There are deer trails within 30 yards of it.

shadow2

run a line of feed on the ground from the feeder to the trail...might work:huh: :huh:

BKA

Banned
Put a sign on it saying, "Deer Feed." They'll be there in no time.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
What do you have in the trough?

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
I've heard molasses poured over some corn will bring them in, that and some corn spread up and down the trails by the feeder.

I know that molasses works good on mineral sites and I've set mineral sites up next to a feeder also so that they can do some one stop shopping for all their grocery needs...:D

Just 1 More

What did you put in the feeder? If you used anything other than corn, it may take them a while to figure it out.. I scatter at least a bag all around the feeder the first time I put one out.. they seem to find it pretty quick

Meriwether Mike

I started the deer out with corn for the carbs and was planning on transitioning them over to 20% protein pellets after the green up. I took and spread a little corn on the ground and up on the trail Saturday so I hope they get the message. I will take me some molasses or peanut butter back next trip.

kevincox

I have been transitioning deer to a trough feeder on my property. I have had the feeder out for 3 weeks and the deer only eat the corn that I scatter on the ground around the feeder. I just keep throwing some out around the feeder hoping they will eventually stick there head in there anr eat!

flintdiver

Mike....

Ditto what SouthPawDraw has said. They will absolutely tear that stuff up in a month or two. Most of our protein will be devoured in June, July and August. They should be hittin' that corn though.

CharlesH

Mike,
It took awhile when I had the feeder last year in my spot. There were always trails in there, but the deer just didn't hit it everyday. And it took a good two weeks for them to start using it.