If a Christian commits suicide do they go to heaven?

IF a Christian commits suicide do they go to heaven?

• Yes

Votes: 24 36.4%
  • No

Votes: 24 36.4%
  • I don't know

Votes: 18 27.3%

• Total voters

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
That is the question, topic.

Thanks for the input ahead of time.

T

GeauxLSU

I'm going to have to say 'no'.

But reality is, this is an EXTREMELY complicated subject with perhaps situational answers.

My simplistic view is this. God gave us life. He created us in His image with strict commands to not murder and that our bodies are a 'temple'. Though I can understand suffering and people wanting to end their lives (believe me) I still think it is wrong to take that life into your own hands, even if it's your own, and 'play God' by decided it is no longer worth living. Human emotions often over ride scripture in MANY things and this is definitely one them.

Not sure how you ask for forgiveness and repent AFTER having taken your own life.

Now, if you are talking about someone who is insane, then your guess is as good as (and probably better than) mine.

jason4445

The only real answer a Christian can give in this and many other such situations is, "I don't know." It has always given me pause to see how being a Christian gives so many the arrogance to state they know what God would do in any situation. For in Isaiah 55:8-9 the Bible says:

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,"
declares the LORD.

"As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.

CAMO84

I thought would be No but the only one who could really answer it is the man above. Who would we be to judge a person should go to heaven wouldn't that be considered a sinas well and a sin is a sin no matter how bad it is.

Randy

If you believe once saved always saved (I do) then I would say yes.

And there in is just one of the problems I see with once saved always saved. Of course there will be those that say a Christian can not commit suicide.

fergicop

No one knows for sure but in my opinion you don't. I was brought up to believe that your body is a temple and by destroying it you would not goto Heaven. I attended Christian Schools all my life (Baptist Schools) although I am not Baptist, and one of the schools had a youth minister that commited suicide and the school made us attend the funeral and it was the most uneasy feeling I ever had watching the minister talk about this guys good works and then have to talk about how he died.

Dixie Dawg

The only real answer a Christian can give in this and many other such situations is, "I don't know." It has always given me pause to see how being a Christian gives so many the arrogance to state they know what God would do in any situation. For in Isaiah 55:8-9 the Bible says:

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,"
declares the LORD.

"As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.

:clap: :clap:
I don't think your post applies to only Christians though, I think it applies to any and all beliefs (or unbelief :)).
Including me.

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
I'm gonna have to leave that one up to God. No vote.

Jody Hawk

My preacher touched on this in one of his sermons a few weeks ago. He says yes they do and I agree. Sin is sin in God's eyes. That's no different than a Christian committing any sin and dieing immediately afterwards. So y'all are saying that if you are a Christian and commit a sin, then you better hope that you don't fall over dead before you have a chance to ask for forgiveness? I don't buy that, God saved me once and I'm covered !!!!!!!! As my preacher puts it, he ain't going to that cross anymore, once was enough !!!!

dutchman

And there in is just one of the problems I see with once saved always saved. Of course there will be those that say a Christian can not commit suicide.

Not here to argue, but there are absolutely no problems with once saved, always saved! To say otherwise is to deny that Jesus (God) has the power to save in the first place. If I can fall from grace, so to speak, then salvation is imperfect. That's the same as saying that Jesus is imperfect. And that just ain't the case.

One of the foundational tenents of my faith is the security of the believer.

Dixie Dawg

Not here to argue, but there are absolutely no problems with once saved, always saved! To say otherwise is to deny that Jesus (God) has the power to save in the first place. If I can fall from grace, so to speak, then salvation is imperfect. That's the same as saying that Jesus is imperfect. And that just ain't the case.

One of the foundational tenents of my faith is the security of the believer.

Not here to argue either!!! :D
But I think Randy might have been referring to people like me... who were Christians but then stopped believing. Some say I was never a 'real' Christian, so that's why I could stop believing. I think Randy's saying no 'real' Christian would commit suicide, if they did then they weren't really a Christian. Not trying to put words in Randy's mouth, just sayin' how I read his post. :pop: :pop:

dutchman

Not here to argue either!!! :D
But I think Randy might have been referring to people like me... who were Christians but then stopped believing. Some say I was never a 'real' Christian, so that's why I could stop believing. I think Randy's saying no 'real' Christian would commit suicide, if they did then they weren't really a Christian. Not trying to put words in Randy's mouth, just sayin' how I read his post. :pop: :pop:

OK but I interpreted it differently. I see your point. I stand by my original post.

fergicop

So, once saved always saved means that since I have been saved that I can now run out and do the things that Christians would not normally do because I have the insurance that I was saved already.

dutchman

So, once saved always saved means that since I have been saved that I can now run out and do the things that Christians would not normally do because I have the insurance that I was saved already.

To do so would not exhibit any of the fruits of the Spirit. Then you'd need to question your own salvation (was it genuine or no?). Salvation is not a license to sin.

Jody Hawk

You will still be saved but you will answer for it. Saved and unsaved alike will stand before God one day and answer for things done in the body. 2 Corinthians 5:10 says, For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.

GeauxLSU

I assure you that is EXACTLY what many believe though they won't state it so bluntly. They believe quite simply NOTHING can prevent you from going to heaven once you are 'saved'. Then the semantics start about what it really means to be saved and that if you are continually sinning you aren't really saved. Really? Then apparently nobody is ' really saved' since we all sin continously right?
Scripture is clear to me, you MUST repent of your sins. You also must not continually sin. The implication is not that you will get a noogie on your head.
Suicide is a repentless sin. Yes, I would fear dropping dead right after I sinned if I hadn't repented. What do you know, even MORE motivation to NOT sin (like we should need any more than the knowledge of what our Savior did for us).
I also struggle with the phrase that says "We can never KNOW what God intends", the dig about arrogance aside. Then why in the world do we have the written Word? If it's not there to let us know His intentions then what is it? Of course we all may interpret it differently but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It is there for us for this very reason.
How anyone can deny that sin is wrong, is to be avoided at all cost, jeopardizes your relationship with our Savior, and must be repented, based on everything in Scripture is beyond me but again, I guess we all read it differently. :huh:

Spinkaleo

The only sin that is unpardonable is the rejection of Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. There can always come a situation in a person's life that would drive them to the brink. One example is the loss of my father. There was a time in the months following his death that the thoughts of suicide went through my mind. I have no doubt in my heart that I am a born again child of the living God. Had I carried through with the suicide thoughts then I would have had to face God's disappointment in taking my own life before he wanted me home face to face in Heaven. Once saved always saved no matter what stupidity we pull off after our conversion.

FESTUSHAGGIN

my bible tells me the ONLY unforgiveable sin is blasphemy which is the unbelief in the lord God. if a person has been saved and they for some stupid reason commit suicide then yes they will go to heaven.