Lawn care Business ( updated ! )

DannyW

First, I think you are grossly underestimating the property value. $750K for 2+acres on the lake (I assume Lanier?)

Buddy of mine sold his 1/2 acre lakefront property recently for $2.5 million. House would have sold for $600-700k anywhere else in metro Atlanta.

Second, I hired a new lawn service last year when my health declined to the point I could no longer do it. They charged me $600 for 1st time and $200 a month for ongoing service 4 times a week. Took 3 people about 3 hours of cutting, trimming, and general tidying up. Then they hauled off a trailer full of debris. And that is for a .40 acre lot.

Unless you are willing to take a loss in order to get the ongoing monthly business, I think you are crazy to do the 2 acre job with 4 people for less than $1,000.

Just my opinion.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
First, I think you are grossly underestimating the property value. $750K for 2+acres on the lake (I assume Lanier?)

Buddy of mine sold his 1/2 acre lakefront property recently for $2.5 million. House would have sold for $600-700k anywhere else in metro Atlanta.

Second, I hired a new lawn service last year when my health declined to the point I could no longer do it. They charged me $600 for 1st time and $200 a month for ongoing service 4 times a week. Took 3 people about 3 hours of cutting, trimming, and general tidying up. Then they hauled off a trailer full of debris. And that is for a .40 acre lot.

Unless you are willing to take a loss in order to get the ongoing monthly business, I think you are crazy to do the 2 acre job with 4 people for less than $1,000.

Just my opinion.
200 for 4 times a week?

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Nice catch...lol...4 times a month.
Yeah there had been some outlandishly cheap proposals put forth in this thread but I couldn't imagine any piece of property needing that many visits for that price.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member

Just my opinion.
I may have underestimated the house cost. It’s on lake eufaula the bas capital of the world. :eek:

Good advice u gave. And the next cutting would be much easier.
They where wanting 2 time a month.
They don’t even live there. Just bought it. The for sale sign is still up.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
I may have underestimated the house cost. It’s on lake eufaula the bas capital of the world. :eek:

I chip in for a 15 pack and dock permission.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Lawd im glad some of y’all aren’t cutting my yards with the prices y’all are throwing out
You apparently have never bought mowers, weedeaters, trucks, trailers, blowers, backpack sprayers, chemicals, licenses, insurance, couple hundred gallons of gas a week, and hired employees and paid their taxes, SS, and workman's comp. Should they lose money for the privilege of mowing your grass? Running a business ain't cheap. Cut it yourself like I do. Or hire that Mexican under the table and promote more illegal colonization.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
@NCHillbilly pretty much stated the facts.
I went and did the 1st one sight unseen by me. He said we will be done in a hour. Well 4 hours later and with his tip it was 100 bucks.
This next job I’m saying 6 hours minimum. He say 3. He been doing this. For 320. When I laughed I think I hurt his feeling.
So if it takes 6 hours. That would be 10 hours work by 4 peeps for 420 bucks with no expenses taken out. On 2 jobs.
The illegal Mexican ain’t touching that at that price. :rofl:
@dixiecutter has given me a better deal. We will sit on the dock and fish while he does the yard.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I asked my 16 yo grandson if he was going to help. I sat down with him and done the math.
He said I will go flip burgers 1st.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I do food plots with my tractor. I’m to low doing it by myself mostly at 65 a hour. I should be at 80. And I charge a fuel charge. Grandson helps me. I pay him out if it and he’s happy. He goes and buys a phone. Pellet rifle. Things like that.

K80Shooter

I do food plots with my tractor. I’m to low doing it by myself mostly at 65 a hour. I should be at 80. And I charge a fuel charge. Grandson helps me. I pay him out if it and he’s happy. He goes and buys a phone. Pellet rifle. Things like that.
With gas & diesel like it is I charged 80 per hour last fall for tractor work.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
@NCHillbilly pretty much stated the facts.
I went and did the 1st one sight unseen by me. He said we will be done in a hour. Well 4 hours later and with his tip it was 100 bucks.
This next job I’m saying 6 hours minimum. He say 3. He been doing this. For 320. When I laughed I think I hurt his feeling.
So if it takes 6 hours. That would be 10 hours work by 4 peeps for 420 bucks with no expenses taken out. On 2 jobs.
The illegal Mexican ain’t touching that at that price. :rofl:
@dixiecutter has given me a better deal. We will sit on the dock and fish while he does the yard.

Mexican Squealer

You apparently have never bought mowers, weedeaters, trucks, trailers, blowers, backpack sprayers, chemicals, licenses, insurance, couple hundred gallons of gas a week, and hired employees and paid their taxes, SS, and workman's comp. Should they lose money for the privilege of mowing your grass? Running a business ain't cheap. Cut it yourself like I do. Or hire that Mexican under the table and promote more illegal colonization.
Ha I know a thing or two about owning/running businesses but have never owned a lawn care company so that part is true…I just know what I pay the ones who take care of my properties. That’s what my comments were based on. If you can get people to pay that, more power to you!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Ha I know a thing or two about owning/running businesses but have never owned a lawn care company so that part is true…I just know what I pay the ones who take care of my properties. That’s what my comments were based on. If you can get people to pay that, more power to you!
Fine. You are free to work yourself to death for $5-$10 an hour plus a bunch of stress if you choose. I choose not to. I bet you do too. I could make more than that working at Burger King. Four people working 6 hours for $200? While you're making thousands of dollars of month on equipment payments? No thanks.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member

I thought it was the St Johns River, Palatka Florida.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I thought it was the St Johns River, Palatka Florida.
There’s a sign in Eufaula that says that. Found it interesting. Has some bass statue or something. Next time I’m near it if I remember I’ll take a pic of it. I was thinking that was a bold statement. ;)

earlthegoat2

Lawd im glad some of y’all aren’t cutting my yards with the prices y’all are throwing out

That’s why I cut my own. o_O

I gave my yard a price last year when my wife asked how much I would charge for it.

It came out to about $65 per cut for basic.

Detail blowing, picking up debris (7 large pine trees 2 Magnolias, and 6 large oaks from the neighbor on the property line and 2 gums by the road) and what ever misc would easily add another $60-80 per week.

Needless to say, I give my own yard about a $40 job.