Midwest hunt guys, your thoughts??

Jim Boyd

Well we have bit the bullet and going to go with the original dates of Nov 6-12. Gonna leave the 4th or 5th and drive up. Now just gotta hope for decent weather this year.

Okay Mr. Dawg - how did Iowa go in 23, sir?

I am working my way north and west this week and will land in Illinois on Friday.

Has got me thinking Midwest!

Hope 23 was great and that you are going in 24!!!!

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Okay Mr. Dawg - how did Iowa go in 23, sir?

I am working my way north and west this week and will land in Illinois on Friday.

Has got me thinking Midwest!

Hope 23 was great and that you are going in 24!!!!
Rather well I'd say....... Lol. Be 5 years to draw the tag again. We'll be doing Missouri this fall.

bilgerat

Senior
Good choice ,on the dates, wishing y’all good weather and great hunting!!!’

Jim Boyd

Rather well I'd say....... Lol. Be 5 years to draw the tag again. We'll be doing Missouri this fall.

Wow!!!!!

I missed or forgot that. Awesome is the word!!!!!!

Giant congrats.

uturn

As a diehard bowhunter, gimme the 10 days prior or the 10 days after the PEAK of the rut. I like them when they're just cruising and looking, not when they're locked down or full on chasing. I don't have nearly the luck calling them when its full blown rut.
This is how I see it as well as I am also a diehard bow hunter and my secret sauce is grunting them in too!

But, I would go whenever you can period!

Last edited:

Madsnooker

I always plan to be in Ohio between the 9th and the 20th. Peak is always some point during that time. Like others said, hunting either side of the peak, which peak is usually around 3 day period, is better then the peak itself as far as calling or rattling. That's why I try to go at least 10 days (Thursday thru following Saturday) so at some point during the hunt it's on fire as far as calling and rattling. Obviously some years are better then others depending on the moon phase each year. Some years the rut comes and goes and you can hardly tell? Obviously getting lucky with weather is to me the biggest factor of all. The more calm, cold and sunny days you get the better the success rate!

Good luck!!!:wink: