Molly Coated Bullets

chase870

Possum Sox
Looking at some Hornady 50 grain V-Max in 220 Swift that are Molly Coated, What are the pros and cons of a Molly Coated Bullet

Jester896

Senior Clown
I know I have some Speer 50gr TNTs already coated I can send ya
If I have some V-Max I will coat some and send them if you want to try them out.

Jester896

Senior Clown
The easiest way we found was ceramic media in its own vibratory tumbler...a little goes a long way.

If you want moly I have plenty and could send you that too. It doesn't matter what moly is in it will be nasty.

A little less pressure in your barrel from your load would be 1 of the pros

bullgator

Here’s what I’ve learned about moly. Most times switching from moly to uncoated bullets requires a cleaning and possible resighting. Moly will attract moisture and accelerate pitting, so cleaning afterwards should be expected. At least put a layer of oil on before storing. If you’re coating your own bullets with moly it’s important to pay attention to time. Moly will continue to build up as it’s left in longer. Due to the slicker effects of moly, you may be able to load slightly hotter, and may need to to reach uncoated velocities.
I’ve used a product call Danzac that doesn’t build up or supposedly attract moisture. I don’t coat anything anymore. It doesn’t seem like it’s really worth the effort.

Last edited:

Darkhorse

I've only used it once, I was chasing a hot maximum load for my 7mm mag. using Nosler ballistic tips and the groups were running around an inch.
I bought a box of coated bullets and the group shrank to .600" and began shooting consistently.
I don't normally load with those type bullets but will again if I need to.

chase870

Possum Sox
I just scored about 7 cases of Hornady 220 Swift ammo and its loaded with 50 grain Molly coated V Max bullets. Its factory ammo I was just wondering about shooting the Molly coated bullets and if there was a bunch of pro's or con's on the use of them. Seems like so far the build up of molly in the barrel is the only con I see as it can attract moisture and led to pitting. What is the best way to clean it out of the barrel, is it harder to remove than copper etc.????

Jester896

Senior Clown
that's a lot of fresh brass to reload ;)

I have a .223 that fired moly loads. I am guessing that may be why the carbon steel barrel is so pitted all of the way out, from improper cleaning techniques.

I have always believed that a patch of Kroil after shooting made it easier to get out once you sat down to clean it.

Bore Tech has some specific product for cleaning Moly. I haven't really had any issues getting it out of the rifle I use it in. It is a stainless 5R barrel and they are generally easier to clean, and it is cleaned within a day or 2 of firing after the Kroil patch if not the same day. Maybe the secret is the patch in the hot/warm barrel.

fauxferret

A potential con is the potential mess that may come from using moly coated projectiles until you dial in applying it.
Another con in my opinion is it tends to be hydroscopic. So if you’re on the negligent side of caring for your guns it can cause corrosion in the barrel. It’s just a pain to clean up after.

sleepr71

Good score for you. 220 Swift is hard to come by,at regular gun stores..and why I’ve never bought one. 22-250 is a little easier..but not much. I bought 450 +/- rounds of 22-250 from a fella last year & there were (3) boxes of 60gr Nosler Partition in the lot.! Can’t remember the last time I saw that on a shelf.

Dub