My Low Buck Ranger Build

T-N-T

I think a V8 swap is really the most logical thing to do.

Flaustin1

Ive got a 2000 with the Flex Fuel 3.0. Man I love the lil truck but those engines are weak and junky. Im on my 2nd one with only 235k on the truck.

Lonesome00

I am pretty happy with mine. I just hauled a load of furniture and a small trailer up to north GA and it did great. Going up hill was a bit challenging though.

Lonesome00

Update.
I have not had much time to wrap up this build lately. I was planning on getting the last few things I needed and getting it done. However, on my return trip from north GA I dropped number five and six cylinders. It sounds like the problem is in the top end but I am planning for the worse. I was actually kicking around the idea of a re-ring for this engine and going through the tranny just for good measure. It looks as though my mind was made up for me now. Stay tuned for some engine repairs and while I am in there some mods as well.

T-N-T

Bummer.

T-N-T

I was thinking a 4.6 from a Crown Vic.

You might be better served with say, something nicer, like a, ummm I dont know, a SBC?::ke:
If it is a daily driver, go for gas mileage. If it is a weekend truck, I say V8!

rjcruiser

Man...hate to hear that for you. Can't remember if you said it above or not...but if that is the 3.0...I hated the one I had in the Ranger I had.

Burnt valves on one side...so...re-did the valves. Then, within the year, had the block crack. Have no idea how that happened...but it did. Always seemed to be something with that truck. Threw in a rebuilt 3.0 and sold it. Glad to have that thing gone.

If it were me...I'd go with something that fits...something that you can get relatively cheap...and something that doesn't require too many changes. The money you pour into that thing...you'll never get out...so keep it low budget...just like the thread says :)

Lonesome00

I am wreslting with that now. If the valve train is messed up and I can get by with repairing that, how long before something else goes bad deeper inside the engine.

T-N-T

I am firm believer that new strong/unworn parts in an old weaker worn motor cause more failures down the line. But this is not science or even proven... Just my belief. Good luck

B

BornNRaised

The 2.3 are bulletproof.

3.0 was full of problems

4.0 in them w a 5 speed is beasty for being a lil pup.

had 4 rangers and loved them all.

still a chevy man tho. My pops got a suburban 5.7 w 500k ORIGINAL engine. On the Third tranny lol

Latest posts