Need Books

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
One thing that is peculiar about Hunnicut's book is that he never mentions Horace Kephart whom he would almost certainly been an acquaintance of. Kephart lived in Bryson City after his short time living on Hazel Creek and writing "Our Southern Highlanders".
Another thing that struck me odd was Sam's method of coon hunting. He'd go out in the daytime with a cold-nosed dog, tree them in their den tree, and then chop it down. I grew up in a family of fanatical coon hunters, and never seen anybody do that.

whitetailfreak

Another thing that struck me odd was Sam's method of coon hunting. He'd go out in the daytime with a cold-nosed dog, tree them in their den tree, and then chop it down. I grew up in a family of fanatical coon hunters, and never seen anybody do that.

Check out the route he took to get to middle prong of Little River and more specifically Lynn Camp Prong on a fishing trip described in one of his stories. Very interesting, looks like he went in at Sinks and around Curry He/She crossing Meiggs.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member

Daddy talked about a few coonhunters that did that. It was somewhat frowned upon down in these swamps.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Check out the route he took to get to middle prong of Little River and more specifically Lynn Camp Prong on a fishing trip described in one of his stories. Very interesting, looks like he went in at Sinks and around Curry He/She crossing Meiggs.
Seems like a convoluted way to get to Thunderhead. I've tried to figure out where the Quill Rose sang patch was, but a lot of his landmarks aren't on any map I've seen. :)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Daddy talked about a few coonhunters that did that. It was somewhat frowned upon down in these swamps.
Around here too, in my time.

whitetailfreak

Seems like a convoluted way to get to Thunderhead. I've tried to figure out where the Quill Rose sang patch was, but a lot of his landmarks aren't on any map I've seen. :)

I guess he wanted to bypass the grand central station of the Smokies at the turn of the 20th century otherwise known as the Townsend Wye. The way the crow flies it's definitely shorter and what's now known as Meigs creek trail may have been well maintained then.
Also, I've always referred to grouse as grouse and not "pheasants"....

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I guess he wanted to bypass the grand central station of the Smokies at the turn of the 20th century otherwise known as the Townsend Wye.
It still is. I went through there yesterday. Bumper to bumper cars and rental buggies. Gatlinburg: thousands of people in herds going up and down the sidewalks as usual.

whitetailfreak

It still is. I went through there yesterday. Bumper to bumper cars and rental buggies. Gatlinburg: thousands of people in herds going up and down the sidewalks as usual.

Yep, we ate lunch at "no way jose's" Thursday in Gatlinburg and there was a 45 minute wait. The town was hopping.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, we ate lunch at "no way jose's" Thursday in Gatlinburg and there was a 45 minute wait. The town was hopping.
I wonder why he was starting from there on those TN trips, anyway? A long ways from Deep Creek. Looks like it would have been easier on horseback to go up to the Spence Field from the NC side, out the ridge, and down Thunderhead?

whitetailfreak

I wonder why he was starting from there on those TN trips, anyway? A long ways from Deep Creek. Looks like it would have been easier on horseback to go up to the Spence Field from the NC side, out the ridge, and down Thunderhead?

When I get off I'm gonna go back and read that story again. He definitely took the long way around.

whitetailfreak

I went back and reread story Forty-Seven and Hunnicutt wrote that they left from "John Stinnett's on North fork of Little River by Line Springs Station." That makes more sense as to why he took that route, and he referred to the "Meages (Meigs) Mountain road" so it was more than likely a popular over mountain route to middle prong during that time.

whitetailfreak

NCH, I figured you would get a kick out of the fact that Hunnicutt was self admittedly scared of rattlesnakes. Apparently he was once bitten.

oldguy

New Fur-Fish-Game magazine came yesterday. Very interesting article/excert from a book: "Vanished Bear Trails" by Darrell Farmen. It's about hunting Kodiak brown bears back in the 50s. The description of the book says it's 222 pages w/lots of photos (good photos in article). Aailable from Alaska Trappers Association, PO BOX 82177, Fairbanks, AK 99708 for $19.95 + $7.35 shipping or online at www.alaskatrappers.org
Looks like good reading and an opportunity to help support the ATA.
PLEASE don't come on here telling me you found it somewhere else for less, you also won't be supporting ATA!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
NCH, I figured you would get a kick out of the fact that Hunnicutt was self admittedly scared of rattlesnakes. Apparently he was once bitten.
I remember in a couple of his stories, they wouldn't camp in old houses because they were afraid of snakes. One, they tore the floorboards up, and built a scaffold to put their bed on or some such. :)

But, he would wade into a bee tree with an axe. :eek2: I'm the opposite.

splatek

UAEC
@NCHillbilly and/or @whitetailfreak I bet the Smokies were hopping/will be as long as it's open and everything else is closed. The AT trailheads down here in GA have been packed with day hikers and some of our closed trailsheads have cars, 10, 20, once I counted nearly 40, along the side of the highway. Cabin fever has hit a good many people. I saw the ranger up there one day, but I doubt he was writing tickets or anything.

I need to get up there and fish a few of my favorite prongs.. I miss that place.
Is Smokemont back in operation. Little man wraps up digital learning for school this week and he loves that place! I do too for easy camping.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
@NCHillbilly and/or @whitetailfreak I bet the Smokies were hopping/will be as long as it's open and everything else is closed. The AT trailheads down here in GA have been packed with day hikers and some of our closed trailsheads have cars, 10, 20, once I counted nearly 40, along the side of the highway. Cabin fever has hit a good many people. I saw the ranger up there one day, but I doubt he was writing tickets or anything.

I need to get up there and fish a few of my favorite prongs.. I miss that place.
Is Smokemont back in operation. Little man wraps up digital learning for school this week and he loves that place! I do too for easy camping.
None of the campgrounds in the Smokies are back open yet, but most of the backcountry sites are. Several roads and trails are still closed. People are there in swarms, and lots of people are going around the barricades on the closed trails.

whitetailfreak

Smokemont and Elkmont are still closed.