Night vision/thermal

Otisman

I’ve been researching and discovered that the more i search the more I’m unsure. My budget is $2000. I don’t know if I want a thermal scope in that price range or a night vision and a thermal spotter for the same amount combined. I’ve never hunted at night but wanting to do some coyote hunting. 100 yard minimum, but 100 yards is fine. For those who know, what do you recommend?

bullgator

Kind of interested myself.

bighonkinjeep

Call and talk to Jason or Hans and tell them what your budget is and what style of hunting you plan on doing and they will help you decide what’s best. They are a dealer but they will answer your questions even if you don’t buy from them.
I tried that and had to leave a number for callback when they did they seemed tired and bothered. Maybe too much sucess or they had maybe been out all night hunting. Just felt like they were over their job that day. (Arent we all sometimes) Spoke to Dark Night Outdoors several times over a couple of months and for probably 45 minutes the day I ordered. got walked through options features and why and picked up the Iray bolt TL35 for $600 off and no tax (another 250) . Plus got aome.extras and swag thrown in for black friday. So far its a pretty bad donkey. 3x base magnification with the PIP image being doubleX . The top turret turns to adjust magnification in small steps up to 12X. (24XPIP) Waay cool! detection range of 1750 yards and ID range of several hundred as well probably 250-300. 10 hours of run time and also uses 18500 lithium flat top rechargable batteries you can order cheap online or a power bank with usb cable. Hunting dusk to dawn is not a problem. 5 year 5 day turnaround warranty.
So far I'm loving this optic ( my first thermal and researched for 7 months before buying but I think I chose.well.

sghoghunter

I tried that and had to leave a number for callback when they did they seemed tired and bothered. Maybe too much sucess or they had maybe been out all night hunting. Just felt like they were over their job that day. (Arent we all sometimes) Spoke to Dark Night Outdoors several times over a couple of months and for probably 45 minutes the day I ordered. got walked through options features and why and picked up the Iray bolt TL35 for $600 off and no tax (another 250) . Plus got aome.extras and swag thrown in for black friday. So far its a pretty bad donkey. 3x base magnification with the PIP image being doubleX . The top turret turns to adjust magnification in small steps up to 12X. (24XPIP) Waay cool! detection range of 1750 yards and ID range of several hundred as well probably 250-300. 10 hours of run time and also uses 18500 lithium flat top rechargable batteries you can order cheap online or a power bank with usb cable. Hunting dusk to dawn is not a problem. 5 year 5 day turnaround warranty.
So far I'm loving this optic ( my first thermal and researched for 7 months before buying but I think I chose.well.

I actually looked at an Iray before I bought my Hogster 35 but the one extra year warranty wasn’t worth the extra $500 to $600 difference. It took some getting use to going from 1.5x on my older pulsar to 2x base magnification on the new one but I’m figuring it out. I think the biggest plus is being able to video with it even though I forget to hit record half the time.

Robust Redhorse

IMO - This is a game that will cost you at least $1000 more.

Don't waste your money on "night vision".
No "night vision" can compete with the thermal available to civilians.

The "rattler" is pretty good for the money.

An ATN, Pulsar, or Trijicon will probably be leading the pack.

Just be aware, that whatever you buy, there will be something much better for the same money within 5 years.

Technology has been improving very quickly in thermal scopes.

bighonkinjeep

I actually looked at an Iray before I bought my Hogster 35 but the one extra year warranty wasn’t worth the extra $500 to $600 difference. It took some getting use to going from 1.5x on my older pulsar to 2x base magnification on the new one but I’m figuring it out. I think the biggest plus is being able to video with it even though I forget to hit record half the time.
The Iray bolt 35 is 600 off with instant rebate now. Saving another $250 on tax I think i got a smokin deal compared to the others. I looked at the new Pulsar Talion XQ 38 hard but couldnt get past propriatary batterys that are $100 each and elected the Iray bolt. 2 years more warranty than pulsar as well. Currently the same price or less than the hogster 35 but a little different being on the same "style" as a daytime scope. Its my understanding that Bering uses Infiray cores. Must be decent ones because those two companies back their stuff with the industrys best warranties and customer service.

sghoghunter

The Iray bolt 35 is 600 off with instant rebate now. Saving another $250 on tax I think i got a smokin deal compared to the others. I looked at the new Pulsar Talion XQ 38 hard but couldnt get past propriatary batterys that are $100 each and elected the Iray bolt. 2 years more warranty than pulsar as well. Currently the same price or less than the hogster 35 but a little different being on the same "style" as a daytime scope. Its my understanding that Bering uses Infiray cores. Must be decent ones because those two companies back their stuff with the industrys best warranties and customer service.

If I used only my bolt gun I’d have one of those Iray Bolts but I use my ar 99% the time. I’ve heard bearings cores are made by Iray but not 100%. I do know when it’s linked to my phone under the tech doings it says Iray

If I used only my bolt gun I’d have one of those Iray Bolts but I use my ar 99% the time. I’ve heard bearings cores are made by Iray but not 100%. I do know when it’s linked to my phone under the tech doings it says Iray
Why not put the Iray Bolt on an AR?? That’s what mine has been on for the past year

sghoghunter

Why not put the Iray Bolt on an AR?? That’s what mine has been on for the past year

The main reason is size. The Hogster is only 6 inches and 16.44 oz’s vs the Iray is around 15 3/4 inches and 36.6 oz’s. I also take it off and use as a scanner when I take the Grendal with the old Pulsar

Attachments

• 3144D677-104B-44A2-9C63-BF10EFB1347A.jpeg
    3144D677-104B-44A2-9C63-BF10EFB1347A.jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 16

bighonkinjeep

The main reason is size. The Hogster is only 6 inches and 16.44 oz’s vs the Iray is around 15 3/4 inches and 36.6 oz’s. I also take it off and use as a scanner when I take the Grendal with the old Pulsar
Yup the Iray bolt is indeed a heavy unit at 32oz, The only "con" I've found so far but it is manageable. Hopefully a sign of a sturdy build lol. So far I love the performance. Gonna get to play with a couple of other thermals from other manufacturers in the next couple of weeks.

trial&error

I just checked out a couple of these online and the views they showed had no reticles. Am I supposed to use these with another sight or scope?

Roebuck

“Fishal Spokesman” Useles Billy Club !
Some people use thermal scopes but they can be expensive and you’ll still need a thermal spotter for spotting.

A good combination is a thermal for spotting and then a digital NV scope for shooting. The Pulsar C-50 is probably the best on the market at the moment but iRay TD-50L and HIK Micro Alpex are also good.

I have the C-50 mounted on my Tikka T3x in .223 and with a good IR torch on a clear dry night I can see out to 200 yards. They might be a bit big if you are thinking of mounting one on an AR platform so a more compact unit might be better.

As for spotters the Pulsar Helion XQ38F or Axion will be fine.

sghoghunter

Some people use thermal scopes but they can be expensive and you’ll still need a thermal spotter for spotting.

A good combination is a thermal for spotting and then a digital NV scope for shooting. The Pulsar C-50 is probably the best on the market at the moment but iRay TD-50L and HIK Micro Alpex are also good.

I have the C-50 mounted on my Tikka T3x in .223 and with a good IR torch on a clear dry night I can see out to 200 yards. They might be a bit big if you are thinking of mounting one on an AR platform so a more compact unit might be better.

As for spotters the Pulsar Helion XQ38F or Axion will be fine.

You don’t have to have a handheld if using a thermal scope. Also you say a good combination is thermal spotter and night vision scope. I can see that if you are predator hunting but I have yet to see anyone get a second shot on a hog like you can get with a thermal.

Big7

The Oracle
Look at the Franklin's Gun Shop ad in the January GON Magazine.

They have several at different price points.
I know the pics suck but it's the first page past the cover. Prolly on line too.
16724308920528804674529374109974.jpg1672430987623368539602526014924.jpg