NIL

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Been much discussion of the impact of NIL on players and sometimes their conduct. I will admit to not knowing the scope of NIL. Top QBs making over a million sounded reasonable knowing the budgets of advertising departments. I read some numbers today that gave me pause. It was a list of freshmen, 4&5 stars out of HS but unproven in the NCAA. All of these freshmen were valued above .5 million. I can’t imagine being 18/19, likely from a poor neighborhood and suddenly making .5 annually. I might even take up street racing with that kind of money. The coaches have got their hands full.

bullgator

CFB is less interesting since NIL.

brownceluse

Money being the root of all evil. I think it's safe to say we all know the direction CFB is headed. Without the NIL it was slowly slipping off the cliff.

buckpasser

I hope not, but I fear you all are right. Maybe they get organized and get it together at some point soon.

Nick is probably about ready to serve as commissioner I’d suspect.

Madsnooker

College football will be fine in the long run. Yes it seems out of control at times now becuase of NIL but it will get controlled at some point. Not that it's their job but we have already heard congress threaten to get involved and I believe there are already some bills being drawn up to deal with NIL. The ncaa is to incompetent to do anything so someone, some group or conference heads need to sit down and get something drawn up to put guardrails around what nil is supposed to be. Until that happens it will be the wild west.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
College football will be fine in the long run. Yes it seems out of control at times now becuase of NIL but it will get controlled at some point. Not that it's their job but we have already heard congress threaten to get involved and I believe there are already some bills being drawn up to deal with NIL. The ncaa is to incompetent to do anything so someone, some group or conference heads need to sit down and get something drawn up to put guardrails around what nil is supposed to be. Until that happens it will be the wild west.
And you think gooberment is more capable? They’ve jacked up about everything they touch.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Where did I say thay?
“ Not that it's their job but we have already heard congress threaten to get involved and I believe there are already some bills being drawn up to deal with NIL. “

You were correct in your first few words.

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
Title IX pretty much eliminates the possibility of any "work around". Schools simply can not afford to pay EVERY athlete equally and they wouldn't pay a softball, swimming, track, etc athlete what they pay a football or basketball player anyway. It is in fact because of football and basketball that many of them are able to offer what they do to and for those athletes.

I've said before and I'll say it again. The ONLY way to get a handle on this will be to form a Minor League, NFL Lite if you will, and give these players an option. NFL Lite and a payday, or College ball under the terms of amateur sports with NO payday if and until you make the big league. Sooner or later its going to come to that, there is no avoiding it.

Madsnooker

“ Not that it's their job but we have already heard congress threaten to get involved and I believe there are already some bills being drawn up to deal with NIL. “

You were correct in your first few words.
Actually I was correct with everything you just quoted. :wink:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

bullgator

Title IX pretty much eliminates the possibility of any "work around". Schools simply can not afford to pay EVERY athlete equally and they wouldn't pay a softball, swimming, track, etc athlete what they pay a football or basketball player anyway. It is in fact because of football and basketball that many of them are able to offer what they do to and for those athletes.

I've said before and I'll say it again. The ONLY way to get a handle on this will be to form a Minor League, NFL Lite if you will, and give these players an option. NFL Lite and a payday, or College ball under the terms of amateur sports with NO payday if and until you make the big league. Sooner or later its going to come to that, there is no avoiding it.
I like it. Colleges have a bigger fan base and can afford better coaches and facilities than minor league football. We’ve already seen attempts like the USFL and Arena Football go nowhere.