NIL

MudDucker

Staff member
I understand what you're saying....but... The NFL won't draft a player until 3 years removed from HS. The University is the catapult to the million dollar payout. Most people with million dollar talent still have to start low and earn that million dollar bank roll.

And for the record. I don't believe ANY 18 year old is worth a mill without at least showing out on the field first.

Well, then I guess you think Nike made a stupid move with Michael Jordan. All the companies care about is whether their image will sell product. If it does, they are good, if not, oppss.

bass4fun

Well, then I guess you think Nike made a stupid move with Michael Jordan. All the companies care about is whether their image will sell product. If it does, they are good, if not, oppss.
I have no clue how you relate what I said about high school kids that have never set foot on a college field except on an official visit receiving millions, & the greatest professional athlete to ever play his sport. If it is the image you're referring to, one is accomplished & the other is a hope. I don't have a problem with NIL & the kids making money. I just feel it got out of hand very quickly.

MudDucker

Staff member
I have no clue how you relate what I said about high school kids that have never set foot on a college field except on an official visit receiving millions, & the greatest professional athlete to ever play his sport. If it is the image you're referring to, one is accomplished & the other is a hope. I don't have a problem with NIL & the kids making money. I just feel it got out of hand very quickly.

The Nike deal with Jordan was before he set foot on a pro basketball court. He was just a kid.

bass4fun

The Nike deal with Jordan was before he set foot on a pro basketball court. He was just a kid.
Actually MJ's contract with Nike began in 1984, the same year he was drafted 3rd overall pick in the 1st round of the NBA draft.

MudDucker

Staff member
Actually MJ's contract with Nike began in 1984, the same year he was drafted 3rd overall pick in the 1st round of the NBA draft.

Drafted ... but had yet to play.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Deer season is going to be a lot more fun once I give up on CFB and that’s coming real soon.

ClemsonRangers

let ex-professionals play too, increase the number of available players to drive the cost per player down

bass4fun

weagle

And why is that? The same as always. SEX SELLS!!!!!!! They are doing nothing different than they could/would do otherwise, selling "provocative" pictures/videos and pervs are paying for it.

And don't tell me @weagle that if someone had offered you a full ride scholarship to play football you wouldn't have taken it in a heartbeat.

Also, again you might, and some others will as well, but MANY here on this board, and across the nation, will no longer support it when it becomes NFL Lite. We don't support the NFL or any other league, just "our" school. Watch, much of the current revenue stream will dry up once it is no longer "college" ball.

Once the schools no longer control the team, and don't have control of the bennies to hand out to donors and don't have student tickets to give away anymore because the team needs the revenue from those seats to pay the players, it will all start slowly slipping away and dying. These huge endorsement contracts straight out of high school will go away because now there will be no reason to take a chance on an unproven player. There will be no more "recruiting" because like the NFL they'll need some parity to male it interesting, so you'll just have another draft and the players won't have any option of where they go so no need to try to win him over with sweet endorsements from school boosters. Sure they'll get paid for a while but in the end I predict it ends up in the trash bin of history same as every other NFL Lite has.
I got my business degree from Auburn 80-83 on a full ride, so I'm quite aware of the opportunity. My football skills allowed me to become the first person in my extended family to go to college. I turned down a bunch of other D1 offers and one from West Point.

It was an outstanding opportunity for me to be able to trade my talents, effort, blood, busted bones and joints for business degree and the pride and accomplishment of a championship in '83, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I was right at the end of when SEC Football could have been legitimately considered an amateur sport.

The only thing that will turn College fans away from the game is if the competition degrades. It's already a pro sport and 99% don't care how it's organized as long as the team runs out on Saturday sporting the College jerseys.

That's not a guess, This will be the biggest year every for the SEC and all those folks that said they would walk when the players started getting paid will be right there in their usual seats rooting on those 18 yo millionaires. Win / Win.

Last edited:

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
I got by business degree from Auburn 80-83 on a full ride, so I'm quite aware of the opportunity. My football skills allowed me to become the first person in my extended family to go to college. I turned down a bunch of other D1 offers and one from West Point.

It was an outstanding opportunity for me to be able to trade my talents, effort, blood, busted bones and joints for business degree and the pride and accomplishment of a championship in '83, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I was right at the end of when SEC Football could have been legitimately considered an amateur sport.

The only thing that will turn College fans away from the game is if the competition degrades. It's already a pro sport and 99% don't care how it's organized as long as the team runs out on Saturday sporting the College jerseys.

That's not a guess, This will be the biggest year every for the SEC and all those folks that said they would walk when the players started getting paid will be right there in their usual seats rooting on those 18 yo millionaires. Win / Win.
Yeah sure. And you said the game wouldn't change one bit do to pay for play and now you're admitting it can't exist as is.

Time will tell, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.