NIL

Duff

Tennessee QB Nico Iamaleava who could start this year at Georgia or red got around 8 mil I believe.
He's not going to start at Tennessee. So, you are saying the Voltards have at least 2 QB's that would start for the Dawgs?

Maybe y'all could share some of that talent and get the Dawgs out of the hole they are in. :rolleyes:

ddavis1120

It wouldn't surprise me if Title IX doesn't somehow come back and bite some of these NIL cooperatives. I know the NILs aren't "associated" with the schools while they are attached at the hip with the universities in practice.

If some lawyers can bridge the quasi association, it doesn't take a leap to see the NILs emphasize men's sports. Then monetizing the damages by comparing high school kids who receive millions before they have any name image or likeness to speak of to proven female college athletes who receive very little.

Either way college football will never be the same as it used to be. I just hope they don't kill the goose to get to the egg.

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
Not against NIL, but I wish it had been regulated. The OG argument is the poor kids couldn't afford a pizza on Friday night or gas money. If there was a cap (which would serve the purpose of NIL) of $100K per athlete it would slow down the insanity that has become of college football.
There WAS a cap, they couldn't be paid, but the court said they couldn't do that because the kids own their NIL so they can market it however they choose. No one can regulate that. No different than your employer being able to tell you, you can't leave for somewhere else willing to pay you more for your services. And since the ONLY contract these kids have are with Sports Marketing/Management firms/agents and THAT is who they are beholden to, NOT the team/school.

Title IX ties the schools hands so there is nothing they can do.

bass4fun

There WAS a cap, they couldn't be paid, but the court said they couldn't do that because the kids own their NIL so they can market it however they choose. No one can regulate that. No different than your employer being able to tell you, you can't leave for somewhere else willing to pay you more for your services. And since the ONLY contract these kids have are with Sports Marketing/Management firms/agents and THAT is who they are beholden to, NOT the team/school.

Title IX ties the schools hands so there is nothing they can do.
That's the problem. Try convincing me this won't lead to hurt feelings from other players. Left tackle is making $150K NIL, the right tackle is making $50K, and the WR that caught the TD pass is making $15K, but the WR that made a block down field so he can score is making $350K. Sounds harmonious, but some players are going to be sour and feel they've been given a raw deal. It's human nature. Especially if you are a 3* out playing a 5* on the team and making 10% what the "bigger name" player is making. At least at work, nobody is supposed to know what your co-worker is getting paid. In this league...it's pretty public knowledge.

weagle

This thing is still a few cycles away from getting sorted out, but at least now everyone recognizes that big time college athletics is not an amateur sport and the talent is worth million$$$ not the approximately $40K per year (scholarship + room&board) that the NCAA was limiting players to.

The next step will be to separate some of athletic programs (Football) from the University proper. They will operate under a licensing agreement with the University, but will not be regulated by Title 9 etc. At that point the leagues will set up rules to keep the teams competitive and thus profitable.

The end product won't look much different to the fans, but I think the competition level will actually be better with more players staying on the team for 4 or 5 years and very few players transferring or jumping to the NFL due to contract obligations.

ddavis1120

They will operate under a licensing agreement with the University, but will not be regulated by Title 9 etc. At that point the leagues will set up rules to keep the teams competitive and thus profitable.
Your guess is as good as mine and it will be fleshed out.

The problem I see in a licensing agreement can be summed up in two words; money and power. The Universities aren't going to voluntarily give up the athletic programs and the cash cow they are and the power and influence associated with them.

James12

Poor Jake Fromm, he was one year away… If they sold 20K #11 jerseys at $100 a pop, do that math. I’m sure they sold many more…. Definitely would’ve matched the room and board bill.

ddgarcia

That's the problem. Try convincing me this won't lead to hurt feelings from other players. Left tackle is making $150K NIL, the right tackle is making $50K, and the WR that caught the TD pass is making $15K, but the WR that made a block down field so he can score is making $350K. Sounds harmonious, but some players are going to be sour and feel they've been given a raw deal. It's human nature. Especially if you are a 3* out playing a 5* on the team and making 10% what the "bigger name" player is making. At least at work, nobody is supposed to know what your co-worker is getting paid. In this league...it's pretty public knowledge.
And this was all pointed out by some of us before this all ever started.

ddgarcia

This thing is still a few cycles away from getting sorted out, but at least now everyone recognizes that big time college athletics is not an amateur sport and the talent is worth million$$$ not the approximately $40K per year (scholarship + room&board) that the NCAA was limiting players to.

The next step will be to separate some of athletic programs (Football) from the University proper. They will operate under a licensing agreement with the University, but will not be regulated by Title 9 etc. At that point the leagues will set up rules to keep the teams competitive and thus profitable.

The end product won't look much different to the fans, but I think the competition level will actually be better with more players staying on the team for 4 or 5 years and very few players transferring or jumping to the NFL due to contract obligations.
A) Most of us would love to have and been GRATEFUL if a major university came to us or a family member and said "Sir/Ma'am, we'd love it if you, your child, etc came and played a game they love for us and we will in turn give them a 4/5/6yr degree for it". If you or they FAILED on YOUR/THEIR part to take full advantage of that, that's not the Universities problem.

B) Once separated from the school is when the problems are going to get worse. These kids are seeing this support MAINLY because the "private" sponsors support the SCHOOL not the team/player. Once the team is the schools in name only I doubt that many of them will continue to support them and if they do I doubt they will at the levels they currently are. Many college football fans are not fans of pro ball and that is what it will be at this point, and the same reason ALL past "NFL Lite" endeavors have failed no matter who, how, what, when, where or why they have done the same or different.

Despite your past arguments that this would work, you are now admitting its failure and the destruction of the sport as we know and loved it. Maybe you'll keep on supporting "your" team even after they are "your" schools in name only but many won't. If we wanted NFL Lite we'd watch the CFL or XFL or AFL or whatever other leagues there are out there playing when the NFL are not, but we're not and so is nobody else. If these kids want a payday, let them go join one of those leagues, otherwise accept the terms as offered , take ADVANTAGE of ALL that is offered and be THANKFUL for it.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
A) Most of us would love to have and been GRATEFUL if a major university came to us or a family member and said "Sir/Ma'am, we'd love it if you, your child, etc came and played a game they love for us and we will in turn give them a 4/5/6yr degree for it". If you or they FAILED on YOUR/THEIR part to take full advantage of that, that's not the Universities problem.

B) Once separated from the school is when the problems are going to get worse. These kids are seeing this support MAINLY because the "private" sponsors support the SCHOOL not the team/player. Once the team is the schools in name only I doubt that many of them will continue to support them and if they do I doubt they will at the levels they currently are. Many college football fans are not fans of pro ball and that is what it will be at this point, and the same reason ALL past "NFL Lite" endeavors have failed no matter who, how, what, when, where or why they have done the same or different.

Despite your past arguments that this would work, you are now admitting its failure and the destruction of the sport as we know and loved it. Maybe you'll keep on supporting "your" team even after they are "your" schools in name only but many won't. If we wanted NFL Lite we'd watch the CFL or XFL or AFL or whatever other leagues there are out there playing when the NFL are not, but we're not and so is nobody else. If these kids want a payday, let them go join one of those leagues, otherwise accept the terms as offered , take ADVANTAGE of ALL that is offered and be THANKFUL for it.
I tend to agree, when your relationship with the school is a licensing agreement the boosters will fade away.

DannyW

I'm still hung up on why an offer of a free education ($40-60k year, and untaxed) isn't considered a reasonable compensation for a 18-19-20 YO to play football.

Yes, some of them are worth a lot more. But where would they be if not for the work of some of their highly anonymous, and lessor valued, teammates?

And I predict that in 5-10 years, this change will be filed in the 'be careful what you wish for' file.

bullgator

Great post. When the teams stop representing the schools the fan support will drop, and the other sports will suffer.
Hey, maybe colleges will get back to higher learning instead on babysitting entitlement athletes.

weagle

I'm still hung up on why an offer of a free education ($40-60k year, and untaxed) isn't considered a reasonable compensation for a 18-19-20 YO to play football.

Yes, some of them are worth a lot more. But where would they be if not for the work of some of their highly anonymous, and lessor valued, teammates?

And I predict that in 5-10 years, this change will be filed in the 'be careful what you wish for' file.
If my talents were worth $40 - 60K year it would be reasonable, but if my talents are worth over a million on the free market then it's not.

If someone would pay me $60 K a year to sing I would so grateful, unless I was Elvis and they said you can't make any more than that, the University will pocket the rest of your market value.

We are seeing in real time what the value of a 5* athlete is, and it's not $40K/ year. Not even in the same universe as $40 K year.

weagle

A: None of us would be grateful if we had a million dollar talent and could only be compensated $40K for it. OK a few of y'all might that don't understand capitalism.
B: 99% of the fans will never know the difference. To them it will still be the 'dawgs"
Show me where it's not working? The fan support is over the top, Revenues are more than ever, and the talent is making money. Not just the Coaches, universities, apparel brands and the ridiculous NCAA.

Now if you want to talk about what's ruining college football, lets talk about the targeting penalty :cool:

ddgarcia

BTW some of the highest earners are Women Gymnasts and Basketball players. I love the free market.
And why is that? The same as always. SEX SELLS!!!!!!! They are doing nothing different than they could/would do otherwise, selling "provocative" pictures/videos and pervs are paying for it.

And don't tell me @weagle that if someone had offered you a full ride scholarship to play football you wouldn't have taken it in a heartbeat.

Also, again you might, and some others will as well, but MANY here on this board, and across the nation, will no longer support it when it becomes NFL Lite. We don't support the NFL or any other league, just "our" school. Watch, much of the current revenue stream will dry up once it is no longer "college" ball.

Once the schools no longer control the team, and don't have control of the bennies to hand out to donors and don't have student tickets to give away anymore because the team needs the revenue from those seats to pay the players, it will all start slowly slipping away and dying. These huge endorsement contracts straight out of high school will go away because now there will be no reason to take a chance on an unproven player. There will be no more "recruiting" because like the NFL they'll need some parity to male it interesting, so you'll just have another draft and the players won't have any option of where they go so no need to try to win him over with sweet endorsements from school boosters. Sure they'll get paid for a while but in the end I predict it ends up in the trash bin of history same as every other NFL Lite has.

bass4fun

A: None of us would be grateful if we had a million dollar talent and could only be compensated $40K for it. OK a few of y'all might that don't understand capitalism.

I understand what you're saying....but... The NFL won't draft a player until 3 years removed from HS. The University is the catapult to the million dollar payout. Most people with million dollar talent still have to start low and earn that million dollar bank roll.

And for the record. I don't believe ANY 18 year old is worth a mill without at least showing out on the field first.

Last edited:

James12

I understand what you're saying....but... The NFL won't draft a player until 3 years removed from HS. The University is the catapult to the million dollar payout. Most people with million dollar talent still have to start low and earn that million dollar bank roll.

And for the record. I don't believe ANY 18 year old is worth a mill without at least showing out on the field first.

You just described a performance base plan. That’s the NFL (and/or corporate America). The player will get what he “earns” in those systems.

This is about Name, Image and Likeness…. and the value those three things bring the University and/or others. Love it or hate it, it has nothing to do with proven performance - or at least not starting out it doesn’t. I agree with Weagle, it’s got a few cycles to get ironed out and needs parameters - but it’s never going to be fair for everyone. What is?

I keep going back to the day I was “forced” :) to go to the dawg walk, and seeing the thousands of #11 jerseys - thinking he wasn’t seeing a dime of those sales.