NIL

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
I like it. Colleges have a bigger fan base and can afford better coaches and facilities than minor league football. We’ve already seen attempts like the USFL and Arena Football go nowhere.
There have been MANY attempts at an NFL "minor" league throughout the years. Admittedly, just like USFL, Arena, et. al. they did not have access to the "best" players available as those were in the NFL and these were just the guys that couldn't get drafted or were cut from the roster and just couldn't give up the dream. But having the "best" players is not the reason college ball is so popular, and if my prediction comes to pass, it won't make a difference to NFL Lite, it will fail just like all other attempts at it have.

ddgarcia

NIL and transfer portal is already mess. Adding the government only makes it a bigger mess.
Actually NIL is a government boondoggle. If you will recall, state legislatures, see Commiefornia, started passing "laws" saying their institutions MUST allow players to be compensated. It was their attempt to "buy" their non competitive schools the "best" players available and make them relevant again, which they haven't been since.................

And NIL was the compromise. Schools can't/couldn't pay players directly due to Title IX so this was the work around. And now some still think/hope/expect .gov to "fix" what they already broke????!!! :rofl:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
NIL and transfer portal is already mess. Adding the government only makes it a bigger mess.

Both of them together will kill college football. There will be 5 or 6 schools with the biggest amount of money and they will own CFB. That will cause students and fans in the lesser constellations to lose interest and CFB will crash and since CFB is the mule that pulls the athletics departments wagons along other sports will suffer as well.

bullgator

Both of them together will kill college football. There will be 5 or 6 schools with the biggest amount of money and they will own CFB. That will cause students and fans in the lesser constellations to lose interest and CFB will crash and since CFB is the mule that pulls the athletics departments wagons along other sports will suffer as well.
My thoughts exactly

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Madsnooker

If government sticks their finger in it CFB is guaranteed a mess.
There is no doubt about that!!! That is why the conferences need to get this figured out themselves. They need to get together and hire a really good CONSERVATIVE law firm that deals in labor law (and they are out there) and draw up guidelines for nil. Keep the ncaa out of it. Then they need to appoint a committee made up of a few respected college presidents and a few respected conference ADs with Sankey chairing the committee and then the committee and the law firm negotiate the final draft that is then put in place by a new ncaa governing body which could be anything from the current group restructured or even the playoff committee with broader power.

Just spit balling here but this can be done and it's not rocket science.

ClemsonRangers

There is no doubt about that!!! That is why the conferences need to get this figured out themselves. They need to get together and hire a really good CONSERVATIVE law firm that deals in labor law (and they are out there) and draw up guidelines for nil. Keep the ncaa out of it. Then they need to appoint a committee made up of a few respected college presidents and a few respected conference ADs with Sankey chairing the committee and then the committee and the law firm negotiate the final draft that is then put in place by a new ncaa governing body which could be anything from the current group restructured or even the playoff committee with broader power.

what is not working? people are getting paid, there are already laws for taxing income :huh:

ddgarcia

Unfortunately snook, no, it can't be done easily. The schools are not paying these guy and have no right or control over this. They are contracted to AGENTS whose ONLY concern is how much they (the agent) makes. Those agents are contracting to PRIVATE PARTIES for the players NIL for as much as they can get. It's no different than NFL players endorsement deals which the NFL has no control over. And with NO CONTRACT whatsoever to a school, these kids can make any deal they want and go wherever the highest bidder is if they so choose. There is absolutely NOTHING the schools, conferences, NCAA or anyone else can do about it until NFL Lite is formed and the kids have to sign a contract to the team same as NFL players do.

Madsnooker

Unfortunately snook, no, it can't be done easily. The schools are not paying these guy and have no right or control over this. They are contracted to AGENTS whose ONLY concern is how much they (the agent) makes. Those agents are contracting to PRIVATE PARTIES for the players NIL for as much as they can get. It's no different than NFL players endorsement deals which the NFL has no control over. And with NO CONTRACT whatsoever to a school, these kids can make any deal they want and go wherever the highest bidder is if they so choose. There is absolutely NOTHING the schools, conferences, NCAA or anyone else can do about it until NFL Lite is formed and the kids have to sign a contract to the team same as NFL players do.
I understand that. And contracts is what will be drawn up as only part of fixing the problem. The biggest problem now is schools offering money upfront just to sign. That is not nil as it was intended. The player hasn't sold one jersey or done anything that the school has profited on yet. Kids are now going to the highest bidder just to sign. The way it's supposed to work is a kid signs first with said school then based on his value of signing autographs, selling his jersey, car dealerships using said players name, etc he is compensated. This is what I was mostly referring to and this is not rocket science to get contracts in place spelling out how, why and when the said player will get paid.

MudDucker

Staff member
SCOTUS ruled that CFB could not restrict a person's right to gain by their image and endorsement. I agree with that ruling, but I hate what it has done to CFB. I don't see a legal way out of it.

I still think college players are dual for education and a chance for NFL future.

ddgarcia

I understand that. And contracts is what will be drawn up as only part of fixing the problem. The biggest problem now is schools offering money upfront just to sign. That is not nil as it was intended. The player hasn't sold one jersey or done anything that the school has profited on yet. Kids are now going to the highest bidder just to sign. The way it's supposed to work is a kid signs first with said school then based on his value of signing autographs, selling his jersey, car dealerships using said players name, etc he is compensated. This is what I was mostly referring to and this is not rocket science to get contracts in place spelling out how, why and when the said player will get paid.
It's an "investment" no different than any other. Buy "low" and HOPE it pays off. Can't win a Natty if all the best players are somewhere else. Doesn't matter what you, we, or anyone else thought it would/should be. Pretty sure if we went back and looked some of us predicted this and the cluster it would be. It will be interesting to see how many fans that thought this was a good idea are still fans when "their" schools team is "their" schools team in name only.

bullgator

SCOTUS ruled that CFB could not restrict a person's right to gain by their image and endorsement. I agree with that ruling, but I hate what it has done to CFB. I don't see a legal way out of it.

I still think college players are dual for education and a chance for NFL future.
Too bad SCOTUS didn’t recognize $200k in education, 5* buffets, and a stage to show your talents part of their “gain”. Or, as others have mentioned, make them pay their way through school with their gains. I guess you really can have your cake and eat it too.

MudDucker

Staff member
Too bad SCOTUS didn’t recognize $200k in education, 5* buffets, and a stage to show your talents part of their “gain”. Or, as others have mentioned, make them pay their way through school with their gains. I guess you really can have your cake and eat it too.

Oh, they took that into consideration, but they found that the colleges and other sports outlets were profiting from player's names and likeness and there is NO legal reason to deny them the right to profit as well.

If the NCAA were to pass a rule that all colleges had to abide by regarding NIL, it might fly as a part of the scholarship contract.

bass4fun

Not against NIL, but I wish it had been regulated. The OG argument is the poor kids couldn't afford a pizza on Friday night or gas money. If there was a cap (which would serve the purpose of NIL) of $100K per athlete it would slow down the insanity that has become of college football. Kids now are putting their name in the portal just to see if someone will offer them a bigger "pay day" for their service. I miss the days of players giving their all because they had school pride.

Tuition and additional benefits athletes already rec'd in the past should be considered. My son looked at going to an out of state school. It would have cost $250K for a bachelor degree. This should have some value implied.

Just my $.02 worth.