pheasant hunting states

Stonewall 2

What does reasonable mean? South Dakota is awesome. I have hunted there probably around 15 times over the last 20 years All wild birds I can get the hunt in for around $2300 everything including travel and shells. Just had to back out of my trip this year not happy about it! One of my favorite trips!

Nimrod71

I highly recommend South Dakota. I have been hunting there for over 20 yrs. It usually cost me about $1,500 to $2,000 for the whole trip, gas, food, license and room. I have been hunting out of Winner for the past 5 yrs. I go out the first week in Nov. every year and I get plenty of birds and don't have to deal with any crowds. If you go out at this time make sure you take cold/wet weather gear it will snow on you.

Jetjockey

KS. 4 bird limit, closer drive, TONS of birds, and TONs of quail. SD quit publishing road counts this year, that should tell you something.

Arrow

I have hunted SD for the last several years and it has been super. But we have lost our ranch we used to hunt on so now I am in search of places to go where you can find huns, sharpies, and pheasant. Do any of you all on the forum know lodges or outfitters that are reasonable out in SD? or perhaps KS could be an option? thx

jdgator

I do not want to give out secret spots but west Kansas has been pretty good for me lately. However, it is almost all posted and private. You need landowner permission to hunt.

Arrow

Thank you JD, well if you give out any secrets I won't tell anyone!!! Just Kidding I understand. Thanks

jdgator

Thank you JD, well if you give out any secrets I won't tell anyone!!! Just Kidding I understand. Thanks

Frankly 90% of it is just showing up, ready to bird hunt. I enjoy driving around and looking at pretty country and chatting up farmers.

BeerThirty

Just an idea... If you wanna challenge yourself and save some coin, check out Wisconsin. Kind of an under-the-radar state for pheasants, but the DNR there does a phenomenal job releasing on average 50,000 birds on public lands every year. For $95 you can buy your non-res small game license and pheasant stamp. Way more public land options than SD too. You'll wanna target the west part of the state. When I was a kid, limited out a few times with a buddy of mine on public lands.

Arrow

Thank you Beer Man, I will look into it!
JD, I like to look at good country too, being a crop adviser I love talking to farmers also. Thank you for the feedback!!

Dirtroad Johnson

I've never been on a pheasant hunt of any kind (wild or released) & never seen a wild pheasant but I bet it would be fun. What's the preferred shot size? 4 shot maybe? Also never seen a wild grouse.

Arrow

Dirtroad, I like using 5 or magnum 6 shot. I typically use a mod or full choke. With my over/under I use those chokes.
You should try hunting them it is a very fun hunt, lots of noise when you jump them.

Resica

Pa. stocked 237,300 birds last year. Check out Pennsylvania, closer than Wisconsin probably. Sadly our wild birds are mostly a thing of the past.

lampern

Portsmouth Island at Cape Lookout National Seashore in North Carolina has a few wild pheasants.

If anybody wants to hunt some in the southeast

Resica

Our stocked birds act like the wild ones used too. Loved it back then. Southeastern Pa. was the best wild pheasant hunting in the country back then. I miss it so much. What a blast huntin wild birds!!

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
SD and KS. We hunted @ Pierre and Aberdeen in SD. @ Ft Riley in KS

Shot size, I like #6 lead. In the wildlife production areas, I liked steel #3 or 4s.

Triple C

Another vote for SD. Been there at least a dozen times.

Check our www.brokenarrowfarms.com for a more budget friendly lodge/preserve. Ran by 2 brothers for many many years. Awesome folks and amazing hunting.

For a really 5 star - high end trip, check out www.paulnelsonfarm.com. Like staying at a Four Seasons or Ritz. Operated by a wonderful family.

Both operate as preserves where birds are released during the summer to supplement the native birds. You cannot tell the difference between a bird that was released in June vs a native bird come November. They all are like they were shot out of a cannon. Beyond 3 birds you pay per bird killed. Plus, due to their habitat of standing grain sorghum and corn, they tend to pull in birds by the masses from surrounding ground as the season progresses.

Great guides. Great dogs. And some sho nuff fun hunting!