Question for Christian Lurkers

Inthegarge

Deny the science all you want, but the science proves you wrong.
homosexuality is proving to have at the very least a genetic component.

But lets not let facts of science get in the way of the bible.

Remember how wrong Galileo was about the Earth not being the center of the universe. How the Church and all the religious establishment said the earth was flat and immobile and never moved. and used various books of the bible to firmly prove that it was so. And how they jailed the scientist who dared speak out that earth revolved around the sun not the other way around.

WRONG.... there is NO scientific evidence of a "Gay gene". If you think you have some post the citations so we can all see if they are accurate. Also WRONG on the Bible...it was the Bible that says the earth revolves around the sun. Again check your references......RW

SneekEE

If someone very close to you (a son, daughter, parent, friend, etc.) who you believe to be a sold-out, blood bought, born again Christian tells you that he or she is actually an atheist, and has been (secretly) for years, how would you respond? Would you treat this person any differently? Have any of you ever had this experience?

Had many experinces where freinds or family realise they are lost, even though they had been in church there whole life, and professing to be a christian. I was supposedly "saved" in my teens, then didnt attend a church untill i was in my mid 30s. Didnt truly recieve Christ or know Him untill then.

But I doubt a close family member could convince me they are "atheist" and had been for years and me not know it. Add to that I do not believe there is such a thing as a atheist, then I doubt a close family member would even try to tell me they were one.

But if they did I dont think it would cause me to treat them any differantly. In fact it would be a good thing if they were having doubts and renounced Christ, and admitted they were lost. You have to admitt you are lost b4 you can be saved, so once we got the lifetime of faking out of the way, then we could get serious.

WRONG.... there is NO scientific evidence of a "Gay gene". If you think you have some post the citations so we can all see if they are accurate. Also WRONG on the Bible...it was the Bible that says the earth revolves around the sun. Again check your references......RW

If you're heck bent on him providing a link to a source, by all means, I think you should provide a link to what you're claiming. I'm interested!

Achilles Return

God gave man a free will and an exceptional capacity for knowledge and to adapt.

Deny Him if you will. In the end you will be given one reprieve from he11. All those in he11 will meet Jesus at the great white throne of judgement. To me it is possibly the cruelest thing that can happen. all the unsaved will meet Jesus and He WILL cast them into the lake of fire. The final death.

Sounds like a nice guy.

TTom

First off Inthegarge, lets be clear about what I said and what you claim I said.

I said it is clear there is a genetic component.
I did not claim there was a gay gene.

http://www.councilforresponsiblegenetics.org/ViewPage.aspx?pageId=87

http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/Psychology/Sexuality/?view=usa&ci=9780199737673

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=8332896&dopt=Abstract

and an easier to read but fairly well balanced article from Discover Magazine.

http://discovermagazine.com/2007/jun/born-gay

Secod the idea that the Bible says the earth revolves around the sun you'll have to provide that link because. Here are the times where the Bible states otherwise.

Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day. [King James]

Note science tells us that the sun would not have stood still but rather the earth would have stopped rotating, for this miracle to happen, which I'm not going to debate.

Who laid the foundations of the earth, that it should not be removed for ever. [KJV]

Note pre 17th century te earth was flat and did not move so it had a foundation that didn't move. However now we know that the earth is ALWAYS moving that it has no real foundation that it sits upon.

And here not scripture but historic documentation from Galileo's trial for heretical teachings of Copernican nature.

A decree of February 19, 1616, summoned Qualifiers of the Holy Office and required them to give their opinion on the two following propositions in Galileo's work on the solar spots. (The assessment was made in Rome, on Wednesday, February 24, 1616.)

Proposition to be assessed:

(1) The sun is the center of the world and wholly immovable from its place.

Assessment: This proposition was unanimously declared "foolish and absurd. philosophically and formally heretical inasmuch as it expressly contradicts the doctrine of the Holy Scripture in many passages, both in their literal meaning and according to the general interpretation of the Holy Fathers and the doctors of theology."

(2) The earth is not the center of the world, nor immovable, but it moves as a whole, also with diurnal motion.

Assessment: This proposition was unanimously declared "deserving of the like censure in philosophy, and as regards theological truth, to be at least errouneous in faith."

stringmusic

First off Inthegarge, lets be clear about what I said and what you claim I said.

I said it is clear there is a genetic component.
I did not claim there was a gay gene.

http://www.councilforresponsiblegenetics.org/ViewPage.aspx?pageId=87

http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/Psychology/Sexuality/?view=usa&ci=9780199737673

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=8332896&dopt=Abstract

and an easier to read but fairly well balanced article from Discover Magazine.

http://discovermagazine.com/2007/jun/born-gay

Secod the idea that the Bible says the earth revolves around the sun you'll have to provide that link because. Here are the times where the Bible states otherwise.

Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day. [King James]

Note science tells us that the sun would not have stood still but rather the earth would have stopped rotating, for this miracle to happen, which I'm not going to debate.

Who laid the foundations of the earth, that it should not be removed for ever. [KJV]

Note pre 17th century te earth was flat and did not move so it had a foundation that didn't move. However now we know that the earth is ALWAYS moving that it has no real foundation that it sits upon.

And here not scripture but historic documentation from Galileo's trial for heretical teachings of Copernican nature.

A decree of February 19, 1616, summoned Qualifiers of the Holy Office and required them to give their opinion on the two following propositions in Galileo's work on the solar spots. (The assessment was made in Rome, on Wednesday, February 24, 1616.)

Proposition to be assessed:

(1) The sun is the center of the world and wholly immovable from its place.

Assessment: This proposition was unanimously declared "foolish and absurd. philosophically and formally heretical inasmuch as it expressly contradicts the doctrine of the Holy Scripture in many passages, both in their literal meaning and according to the general interpretation of the Holy Fathers and the doctors of theology."

(2) The earth is not the center of the world, nor immovable, but it moves as a whole, also with diurnal motion.

Assessment: This proposition was unanimously declared "deserving of the like censure in philosophy, and as regards theological truth, to be at least errouneous in faith."

THE EARTHS NOT FLAT!!!!:cry:

goob

stringmusik, you're dead wrong dude, study your bible and you'll see where God commands us to repent, which means "to turn away from" our sins. If she keeps living that lifestyle, then there's no repentance. Besides, wonder what her answer would be if someone asked her if God was lying when HE said homosexuality was an abomination? Maybe she left that part out her bible.

Also if you read in Timothy, you'll see the qualifications of a pastor, and it says must be HUSBAND of ONE wife. How does she get around that. It would be hard for me sit and listen to anyone teaching a class that doesn't believe wholeheartedly in what they teach.

I mostly read in here, but I totally agree with you. Also there's a difference in a man being called to preach and a man that reads notes and is NOT called to preach. Just my belief too.

TTom

And yet Stringmusic the Bible infers in some places that it is.
(Man's understanding of science being lacking at the time, he often described it as flat even in the Bible.)

Ecclesiastes 1:5
The sun rises and the sun goes down, and hastens to the place where it rises.

yet we know now that the earth spins to create night and day instead of the sun traveling across the sky.:hair:

Isaiah 40:22
It is he who sits above the circle of the earth, and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers; who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, and spreads them like a tent to dwell in;

a circle is flat right?::ke:

Isaiah 44:24
Thus says the Lord, your Redeemer, who formed you from the womb; "I am the Lord, who made all things, who stretched out the heavens alone, who spread out the earth -- Who was with me? --

You spread something out flat like a cloth.::ke:

Of course I see all of this as allegory as opposed to a literal interpretation of the Bible.

As I said before I don't blame God for this misunderstanding or for the inaccuracy, I blame man for it.
But the verses are there and history is well documented that the Church held the Flat Earth theory until well after the 1600's, as theologically sound.

I am going to start the answer by asking a question. were you born asexual?
Definition of asexual (adj)
a·sex·u·al [ ay sékshoo É™l ]
sexually inactive: without sexual desire or activity:huh:

I probably didn't have a sexual desire when I was born, but I did have the organs. I also wasn't born with pubic hair. That's where puberty comes in. Since you like quoting the dictionary, let's quote it here...

"Also called: pubescence the period at the beginning of adolescence when the sex glands become functional and the secondary sexual characteristics emerge."

stringmusic

I PROBABLY didn't have a sexual desire when I was born, but I did have the organs.

what?

I also wasn't born with pubic hair. That's where puberty comes in. Since you like quoting the dictionary, let's quote it here...

and yes I do like quoting from the dictionary, here's one..
smart-aleck
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: wise guy
Synonyms: bigmouth, know-it-all, smart Edited to Remove Profanity ----Edited to Remove Profanity ----Edited to Remove Profanity ----, smarty-pants, wiseacre, wisenheimer

"Also called: pubescence the period at the beginning of adolescence when the sex glands become functional and the secondary sexual characteristics emerge."

To be honest there really isn't an answer that we are both going to agree on. There is alot of things that go into if being a homosexual is a choice or a person is born that way. I get the conclution that i come to from the bible, that a man and woman should be together. You don't believe in the bible, so we are both starting from different points on this issue.

ted_BSR

To be honest there really isn't an answer that we are both going to agree on. There is alot of things that go into if being a homosexual is a choice or a person is born that way. I get the conclution that i come to from the bible, that a man and woman should be together. You don't believe in the bible, so we are both starting from different points on this issue.

I have known many gay people. It seems to me that some sort of traumatic experience triggers this behavior. I even know of a set of twins where one was gay, and the other not. The gay one was molested as a child, the straight one not. Obviously not a definitive study, but merely an observation.

ted_BSR

Deny the science all you want, but the science proves you wrong.
homosexuality is proving to have at the very least a genetic component.

But lets not let facts of science get in the way of the bible.

Remember how wrong Galileo was about the Earth not being the center of the universe. How the Church and all the religious establishment said the earth was flat and immobile and never moved. and used various books of the bible to firmly prove that it was so. And how they jailed the scientist who dared speak out that earth revolved around the sun not the other way around.

This is not possible, as science does not prove anything, it merely supports, or does not support a hypothesis.

stringmusic

That's where you're wrong. I do believe in the Bible. I've seen plenty of them. ::ke: I know they exist. I just don't agree with the fictional parts of it.

go me on that one:biggrin3:

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
If someone very close to you (a son, daughter, parent, friend, etc.) who you believe to be a sold-out, blood bought, born again Christian tells you that he or she is actually an atheist, and has been (secretly) for years, how would you respond? Would you treat this person any differently? Have any of you ever had this experience?
I would express empathy and attempt to ascertain the reasoning behind the decision. That would guide where I went from there, annnd prayer of course.

SemperFiDawg

My wife's parent go to a UCC church: United Church of Christ. They have a lesbian pastor. Are they TRUE Christians?
The correct answer is there’s no human being that can answer that question.

SemperFiDawg

If the pastor is a homosexual, then why would they go and sit under such abominable teachings. A pastor is supposed to be the leader of his flock, and to teach the true gospel, how can that pastor teach the true gospel when God said Himself that homosexuality is an abomination?
Annnnd then there’s that. It’s a formidable question.

SemperFiDawg

Because they're unrepentant, liberal, homo loving, Bible spittin' on, Universalist, Kum Ba Ya singin', Devil lettin' in, non descernin', Humanist, whatever feels good, bringin' down America, Commie, Pinko, Tree huggin', Jesus haters.
Yeah, but besides that….

SemperFiDawg

The more that’s posted the more this thread feels like a troll.

oldfella1962

A thread from 2010? I wondered why I didn't recognize the names. That said when I read the thread title at first glance I thought it said "Question for
Christian Lunkers" :LOL: Big fish are pretty smart, but I doubt if we have any on GON forum.