Scary

coon dawg

GONetwork Member
ya know.........

bein that I coon hunt 'bout every night...........90% of the time alone.........I'm glad I don't take this stuff to heart..........I'd be 'bout skittish over that rotted meat smellin critter...... :D :D

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
I didn't think about all these story's until I was in my treestand this past Saturday morning. I heard something making noise in the woods and rotten meat was the first thought that crossed my mind!!! Turned out to be a grey squirrel.

Told myself if I smell rotten meat, I'm outta here!!!! :hair: ::gone:

Tommy

quailchaser

GMARK said:
Quailchaser,

I hope those stories weren't from our neck of the woods! I'm pretty cool behind a keyboard, but these stories will creep back into my head next time I'm coming out of the woods after dark. :hair:

Glad I'm carrying a firearm!!

Nope, not from our area. One was from Texas, one I think was from Canada and I'm not sure on the others. I pulled them off a post on the North American Hunting Club website. Wish I were that creative and could take the credit for them, but I can't.

NickW,

Did you contact any of those people to see if you could get any more info?

GMARK

Yeah. We traded emails.

By the time we got in touch I had already paid my dues for the club I'm in now. I would definately like to keep in touch and see it next year.

Thanks!

lefty

Reminds me of a hunt in Taylor Co years ago.Pre-dawn,dark as the night.I was walking,well actually creeping along cause like I said it was dark,dark.Had my tree-lounge on my back and I was heading into a new area.New it was going to be slow so I went in extra early.I could make out a few things as long as I was on the logging road but once I passed under the tree canopy I was straining my eyes and touchy feelly my way through the woods.It wasn't long before I heard something matching me step for step staight behind me.The thing was it did not start and stop exactly with me.It would start after I had taken a step or two and take an extra step or two when I stopped.Man,talk about giving you the willys.The hair on the back of my neck started standing up when after about 50 to 75 yards in I realized the steps were starting to catch up to me.I was walking through some old pines and the pinestraw was ankle deep.Well after about another 15 or 20 steps I thought it was closing the distance and probably within twenty or thirty yards of me.I decided at this point I'd better turn around see if I could make out anything in the dark.Well,I turned around and when I did..that dang deer must have had his nose about on that climber,he reared straight up and in the dark all I could see was a tower of white.Iwas trying to keep my balance while back peddleing as hard as I could.SCARED the SNOT out of me.Saw no other deer that morning.

FX Jenkins

lefty said:
..that dang deer must have had his nose about on that climber,he reared straight up and in the dark all I could see was a tower of white

Where you wearing Buck lure or anything...scent lock?

Ta-ton-ka chips

GONetwork Member
dutchman said:
Not necessarily. It could be Tatonka Chips. But only if he makes lots of noise. :bounce:
Hang on there Mr Dutchman, you won't hear me walking through the woods. I'm a silent, stalking ninja! :hair:
It's my smell that gives me away :banginghe :banginghe

doeinheat08

I dont know if this is true but it makes me think twice about going back into the woods while its dark again!!!

dutchman

Ta-ton-ka chips said:
Hang on there Mr Dutchman, you won't hear me walking through the woods. I'm a silent, stalking ninja! :hair:
It's my smell that gives me away :banginghe :banginghe

Rotten meat? :bounce:

lefty

May have had some scent on my boots.Don't really remember but went through a spell of putting doe-n-heat on my boots and warching to see what followed my trail.

DDD

Winter Weatherman
Only thing that scared me and a new member to our club was this:

New guy in our club was wanting to hunt one of the ladder stands that we had way off the road and I was hunting kinda close to it, so our club President asked if I would take him into that stand because it is hard to find in the dark. I agreed to take him in, we rode 4 wheelers down the logging road as far as we could. We walked in about 300 yards and we get just about to the stand and he turns his flashlight off and says, "Did you hear that?" I say "No?" He just stands there in silence, and then I hear it. This Blowing and snorting that sounds like a deer but it sounds like it's 7 feet tall. Now mind you, we are standing in the dark, no moon, it's so dark I can't see my hand in front of my face and I to had turned out my light to listen. (You know it helps you to hear if you turn out your light) ::ke:

Anyways, after this blowing and snorting goes on, we hear foot steps off to our left. I ease my rifle off my shoulder, I told him, when it gets close turn your light on and I will shoot "IT". Not knowing what "IT" was. "IT" gets with in about 30-40 feet of us, he turns the light on... it's a young buck and I guess he thought we were moving in on his girls or something, we both freeze and he does too. Then he realizes that other deer don't carry flashlights and he just turns to his right and eases off. It scard the bejesus out of both of us. Our new member climbed up in his stand, and I waited till daylight because I didn't want to get horned by an angry young buck who thought I was moving in on his territory.

The boys back at the club just laughed at us, but believe me, I thought I was going to be shooting a raging bull or the boogy man one of the two. :rolleyes: :D

sniper13

:hair:
Have you ever been on the computer late a night ( 'bout this time of morning) and see something move out of the corner of your eye, or feel like you were being watched?
:cheers:
Have another cold one and they won't bother you for a while. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
What everybody is hearing are Zonifers. They're "usually" docile and harmless. Quite unlike the screaming Pteradactyls. :D

dutchman

sniper13 said:
Have you ever been on the computer late a night ( 'bout this time of morning) and see something move out of the corner of your eye, or feel like you were being watched?

That happens to me all the time! :huh:

Yivin

I had a deer scare me once...Me and my hunting partner decided to hunt together in a ground blind that we made out of stick, limbs and some rope with a brown tarp roof. We each have been seeing deer in groups and figured we get one a piece. It was one of those dark mornings,no moon and cold. As we made our way (walking) down to this blind we didn't want to use any lights in case any deer just happened to be around when daylight came. We were easing our way down the little trail toward the blind..we laughed at each other trying to get thru the dark. We talked very quietly giggling at at other about "Watch there will be a deer in the blind"....we laughed that off...just as we approached the blind I bent slightly over to get in and out pops 3 deer almost knocking him and me over trying to get out of it. We were knees and elbows jumping outta the way scared kinda...It wasn't funny then, but after a couple of minutes we just laughed at ourselves for a long time. Everytime we looked at each other the rest of that days hunt we just laughed. After an hour or too we called it a day went back to camp, had a few beers and we still laugh at that today. What a great memory of hunting..wouldn't trade that day for nuttin...

dutchman

Yivin said:
I had a deer scare me once...Me and my hunting partner decided to hunt together in a ground blind that we made out of stick, limbs and some rope with a brown tarp roof. We each have been seeing deer in groups and figured we get one a piece. It was one of those dark mornings,no moon and cold. As we made our way (walking) down to this blind we didn't want to use any lights in case any deer just happened to be around when daylight came. We were easing our way down the little trail toward the blind..we laughed at each other trying to get thru the dark. We talked very quietly giggling at at other about "Watch there will be a deer in the blind"....we laughed that off...just as we approached the blind I bent slightly over to get in and out pops 3 deer almost knocking him and me over trying to get out of it. We were knees and elbows jumping outta the way scared kinda...It wasn't funny then, but after a couple of minutes we just laughed at ourselves for a long time. Everytime we looked at each other the rest of that days hunt we just laughed. After an hour or too we called it a day went back to camp, had a few beers and we still laugh at that today. What a great memory of hunting..wouldn't trade that day for nuttin...

You stayed with it an hour or two longer than I'd have been able to do. We'd have been sitting there and my partner would've asked. "Hey, what's that awful smell?"