Shooting from the barn

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Ok, I will say this. Perhaps I used the wrong word "sport" in my previous comment. Y'all are right, hunting doesn't have to be a "sport", nor should it. It can be whatever you make of it, right? What I meant to say is: there is no honor in it because there's no fair chase (unless you have a legit reason). Heck, may as well fence them in and drop a load of corn in your back yard so you can shoot them from your kitchen table while your wife makes you breakfast, all while sitting in your boxers. But we call ourselves "sportsmen", right?

Yeah, veni in the freezer is nice, and sure, I would do it to if my family desperately needed the meat. But I'm still not going to consider it "hunting", and I darn sure wouldn't be proud of it. At this point, suppose it's just semantics...
One day folks will finally understand that personal ethics are personal........

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Yeah but the aroma of grandmas made from scratch biscuits n gravy will still lure them in..

There's deer in my yard now. My yard is about 10 acres. Has several barns. Chicken pen. Big bucks walk around my tractor. My dogs bark at them as they go by the pen. I have food plots around the house. They see us. We ride the 4 wheeler. Fill up the feeder. Go to house watch them go to feeder. Plow a food plot. They come to see what we done. We have 50ty total at the house. Hunting land is all the way around us. Our club is on 2 sides.
How should I hunt it.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
My wife shoots from the kitchen window. She says she does the dishes It's her window.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I really did shoot a doe one morning out of my back door with nothing on but my boxers. I also shot an 8 point one afternoon while sitting my front porch. Before QDM, I shot a 4 point one evening while I was painting my house. He was eating apples off of my tree by the barn. Ive killed a good many opportunity does in my pasture. Since we don't "hunt" our home place, thats meat I don't have to kill off of my hunting lease.

Hillbilly stalker

If you have to ask another man about it to have a clear conscience..........you already know the answer.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I really did shoot a doe one morning out of my back door with nothing on but my boxers. I also shot an 8 point one afternoon while sitting my front porch. Before QDM, I shot a 4 point one evening while I was painting my house. He was eating apples off of my tree by the barn. Ive killed a good many opportunity does in my pasture. Since we don't "hunt" our home place, thats meat I don't have to kill off of my hunting lease.

U need to wear orange vest around the house. It's the law while hunting. Just saying with all due respect.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
It's all about fair chase...

So what makes sitting in a barn not fair chase?

Is sitting in a box stand fair chase?

What about a ground blind? Fair chase?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've been strongly considering climbing up in the barn and shooting the durn deer that keeps mowing my strawberry bed off into the ground.

holton27596

so let me get this right, if my house faces a 100 acre field and I put a stand right next to my house and shoot a deer, thats hunting, but if I shoot him from the porch thats not??????????????

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Barn is man made structure just like any type of stand

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
So what makes sitting in a barn not fair chase?

Is sitting in a box stand fair chase?

What about a ground blind? Fair chase?

I'm waiting on the measurements to come out........somewhere one of those "glam hunters" have the square footage on box stands and blinds to determine if it meets the criteria for fair chase hunting with honor or just shooting and killing.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
I'm waiting on the measurements to come out........somewhere one of those "glam hunters" have the square footage on box stands and blinds to determine if it meets the criteria for fair chase hunting with honor or just shooting and killing.

Lawd, if we allow Glam hunters to set the standards the deer population will explode due to lack of a predator.

Personally I think style points should be awarded for shooting out of existing structures. It is more friendly to the environment and doesn't spread scent all over the place. Renewable Resource Hunting.

RRH should be the next fad, but it won't because the corporate elite that have brainwashed the glam hunter won't have a way of financially capitalizing on the phrase.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Lawd, if we allow Glam hunters to set the standards the deer population will explode due to lack of a predator.

Personally I think style points should be awarded for shooting out of existing structures. It is more friendly to the environment and doesn't spread scent all over the place. Renewable Resource Hunting.

RRH should be the next fad, but it won't because the corporate elite that have brainwashed the glam hunter won't have a way of financially capitalizing on the phrase.

Yup lol. Hey all we got to do to make it a fair chase is use 3 legged dogs anyway. I don't know what the problem is:D

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
My boxers are orange :p

:rofl: but you would have to wear them awfully high to be legal in GA.:rofl:

If it were pure fair chase there would be precious few killed that weren't either hit by vehicles or died from complications of old age.