Small Game Hunting Soon To Be Extinct

rolltidefan

While a lot of people on here say they support a longer deer season and would like to see the season extended to the 15th of Jan, this will be a serious blow to all small game hunters. Currently, there are a lot of clubs that don't allow any small game hunting until after deer season. I'm a die-hard deer hunter and would like to see deer season start Oct.10th for bow opener and run to Oct. 31st. Rifle season starts Nov.1st and ends Dec. 1st and then bow/primitive weapons start Dec.2nd to Jan.1st and that is it for areas that have the rut start between Oct.31 to Nov.14. Then small game hunters can have their fun. We don't need a longer season at all!

Sixes

No one is stopping you from using those dates. Do what YOU want on your property and let others do what they want on theirs.

You'd like to pick your dates, I'd like to pick mine. August 15th thru February 28th sounds good to me for deer season.

If small game hunters want their own place to hunt, no one is stopping them from leasing their own property and keeping deer hunters off. No law against them being in the woods during deer season, either!

BowanaLee

Squirrel season opens a month before bow season. Theres so few SG hunters, you'd be keeping 20 deer hunters from hunting to each SG hunter that had the woods to himself. Kinda selfish aint it ?

Buford_Dawg

Not sure what DNR will do...

It sounds like they want to come to a date for deer season to end in both the north and south zones. We do like to small game hunt in January and February on our leases. Club rules state no small game until after deer season. Most deer hunters are done by mid December or sooner on my 2 clubs. Be interesting to see what is done. I hear the small game hunters are showing up at the DNR meetings and expressing opposition here in North Ga for extending deer season any longer.

Curtis-UGA

Just make deer season year round so they can be hunted to extinction then folks won't care if we hunt small game.

I have let DNR know how I feel. The extension of deer season will hurt new hunter recruitment, trapping, waterfowlers, small game hunters and the deer herd. Our deer season in ample long enough. Only a small percentage of people hunt late in the season anyways.

Look at our LFTT threads here. By mid December there's very few checking in and by January it's non existent. Most are tired of deer hunting and the good hunters have killed what they want.

I'm working on securing more spots I can rabbit hunt during deer season. I'm not gonna let the DNR ruin it for me and my hunting buddies. My club I made sure we allowed small game hunting after December 1st.

rosewood

Ok, dumb question. If no one hunts late season anyway, what effect would extending it have? Kind of a moot point isn't it?

As for the club, they can manage their own season withing the legal season. See if they will rewrite their rules to allow small game hunting on Jan 1, since deer hunting has all but stopped by then anyway. No since in changing the rules across the entire state for what could be managed on the club in question.

yonceyboy

just make deer season year round so they can be hunted to extinction then folks won't care if we hunt small game.

I have let dnr know how i feel. The extension of deer season will hurt new hunter recruitment, trapping, waterfowlers, small game hunters and the deer herd. Our deer season in ample long enough. Only a small percentage of people hunt late in the season anyways.

Look at our lftt threads here. By mid december there's very few checking in and by january it's non existent. Most are tired of deer hunting and the good hunters have killed what they want.

I'm working on securing more spots i can rabbit hunt during deer season. I'm not gonna let the dnr ruin it for me and my hunting buddies. My club i made sure we allowed small game hunting after december 1st.
amen brother.

T.P.

Banned
There is a good reason you don't see small game hunters during deer season. Not many hunters that hunt with hounds would ever turn their dogs loose with deer hunters close by.

Whiteeagle

US Deer hunters are a GREEDY, self-centered bunch of people! We want all the seasons, regulations, and restrictions to suit "Deer Hunting" without regard to other "HUNTERS"! Sorry, guys, WE can't have it ALL! Personally, I hunt with a Muzzleloader(Traditional) and shoot both deer and squirrels with same! Been doing this for 50+ years. .45 cal PRB will take down deer as well as squirrels, and .50 cal PRB is even more deadly. Well placed shots, and NOT marginal ranges is the KEY to success for DEER and good aim with HEAD SHOTS work on squirrels with BOTH cals! The feeling of SPORTSMANSHIP and a PRIDE in doing it PRIMITIVE makes ME feel like I have done something that most "hunters" never accomplish. Don't knock it until YOU have tried it, and maybe YOU can become one of the ELITE that actually "HUNT" and Enjoy Nature. We need to always respect Nature, our Fellow Man, The prey we pursue, and REMEMBER that the KILL means the HUNT is over for that animal we kill! We are LUCKY to have ANY of the hunting rights we have, so be careful what you wish for......ALL rights to hunt can be TAKEN AWAY if we STAY DIVIDED!!!

mtr3333

Banned
If it weren't for deer hunters, there would be no more squirrels, coons, or hogs. Blessed be the deer hunter, small gamers praise him. Amen.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Ain't no squirrels left. coyoties got them. They eat the new born as well.

satchmo

Small game season is not closed. It's not in danger. If somebody wants to hunt rabbits or squirrels they can do it the whole time deer season is open. We pay big money for deer leases, if you want to hunt small game you can lease land, hunt national forest,WMAs, etc. I don't understand the big deal. I don't allow it during deer season on my leases, but no one on here is on any of my leases. I do know it hasn't stopped nor is it in danger of being stopped.

Bama B

How does limiting gun season help the small game hunters. I never understood why there is a separate season for bow and firearm. I understand why certain areas should limit firearms due to safety. But as a bow hunter I really dont see a reason for separate season. I kill as many deer with a bow during gun season. And now that we are off the original subject explain how any of this would help small game hunting. I know plenty of guys who small game hunt during big game season.

lonesome dove

Most deer hunters will never understand why a dog can't be cut loose around deer hunters.

Most deer hunters will never understand how many more deer they will see late season if a pack of beagles are after a rabbit.
I have rabbit hunted MANY times and have seen deer get up and slowly move around to get out of the way of the dogs. Not run out of the county, just move around to a different spot.
Late in the year when your deer sightings are down, have a group of rabbit hunters come hunt the thick spots on your property. You will see A LOT of deer.

FlipKing

You can hunt WMA's most of deer season since they have quota and sign in hunts. Oaky woods is available for 9/10th's of deer season to small game. Besides, like the others said before me, do what you'd like on your property. I think both should end on the same date, either jan 1, or the 15. Don't care too much either way. I can't take their methods seriously when we continue to have paper tags that you don't have to turn in and you get 10 does, but only 2 bucks.