Son's New AR-15

Tight Lines

My son is 12 and has a 6.5 Creedmoor that is still too big for him, though he can shoot it from a bench. I bought him an AR-15 which he can handle fairly well due to the weight and collapsable stock, and he killed his first deer with it this year. I use the Ft. Scott Munitions TUI rounds for it and even though it is a 5.56 it is lethal.

It had a really bad trigger group and safety, and he shoots left even though it is a righty.

So since we are quarantined, I decided to do a complete tear down of the weapon and show him how to take each piece apart and clean it, inspect it, and put it back together...we got him a new trigger and safety, and since I wanted a red safety he decided he wanted all red on the other items we were changing...

I had an old Crimson Trace green laser/light combo for an AR-15, and we ordered the rest...Strike Industries stock, buffer tube, and muzzle brake. A Velocity trigger and end plate with a QD. A Seekins Precision Ambi safety. A Luth-AR extra large bolt catch, and a Velocity mag release. Have an Aero Precision Ambi charging handle on order, and we are putting his cheap Nikon scope and rings back on it. We have a Strike Industries trigger guard on order too but not here yet. And a QD sling. Here is the almost finished product:

Attachments

• IMG_0398.jpeg
    IMG_0398.jpeg
    206.7 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0400.jpeg
    IMG_0400.jpeg
    268 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0399.jpeg
    IMG_0399.jpeg
    257.2 KB · Views: 87

zedex

Gator Bait
My son is 12 and has a 6.5 Creedmoor that is still too big for him, though he can shoot it from a bench. I bought him an AR-15 which he can handle fairly well due to the weight and collapsable stock, and he killed his first deer with it this year. I use the Ft. Scott Munitions TUI rounds for it and even though it is a 5.56 it is lethal.

It had a really bad trigger group and safety, and he shoots left even though it is a righty.

So since we are quarantined, I decided to do a complete tear down of the weapon and show him how to take each piece apart and clean it, inspect it, and put it back together...we got him a new trigger and safety, and since I wanted a red safety he decided he wanted all red on the other items we were changing...

I had an old Crimson Trace green laser/light combo for an AR-15, and we ordered the rest...Strike Industries stock, buffer tube, and muzzle brake. A Velocity trigger and end plate with a QD. A Seekins Precision Ambi safety. A Luth-AR extra large bolt catch, and a Velocity mag release. Have an Aero Precision Ambi charging handle on order, and we are putting his cheap Nikon scope and rings back on it. We have a Strike Industries trigger guard on order too but not here yet. And a QD sling. Here is the almost finished product:
Nice...I've thought about getting one. Excellent choice

Big7

The Oracle
Why would you buy a 12 year old "kid" a 6.5 or anything else chambered in a high powered rifle caliber? You even admitted at least one was "to big" for him.

I'm not knocking or judging to much- but I am curious.

ditchdoc24

I shoot left handed and have zero problems using the AR platform rifles. The rifle looks great and I'm sure it shoots well too. Good luck to the young man this fall!

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
Good for you, starting him at a young age is awesome!! Teaching him how to work on and clean his weapon is even better!!

I truly believe that my dad starting me out hunting and shooting (shot my fist 12 gauge at 8 years old) is one reason I love to shoot and hunt, and I think it's why I am honestly not recoil sensitive and don't ever remember being sensitive to recoil.

Tight Lines

Why would you buy a 12 year old "kid" a 6.5 or anything else chambered in a high powered rifle caliber? You even admitted at least one was "to big" for him.

I got my first BB gun at 3, .22 at 5, .410 at 8, deer rifle at 12 and so on...by that time I was hooked on hunting and the outdoors. My kids have had weapons since they were born, due to grandparents buying them, and both kids got deer rifles at 10 to bench shoot from me. I've moved them up from sub-sonic .22 to the point where both can shoot rifles of any caliber without flinching and being scared. So my son is bench shooting his 6.5 until he is big enough to carry it in the field. Once he can, we'll only use the AR for varmints and fun.

At this point both of them, 12 and 14, can bench shoot easily out to 300 yards, and both handle a shotgun. My son can bench shoot my .300 Win-Mag with no issues (a few times). They both have ARs that they can handle and clean.

However, the go to plinking weapon is still a .22 for both of them...we've stopped using the sub-sonics and moved to long rifles though at this stage...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Why not? My son was killing deer with a .30-06 at 12.

LittleDrummerBoy

Rifles are lifetime gifts. In my experience as a firearms instructor, most 12 year olds are not too far from being able to shoot a 6.5, especially if a shorter stock can be arranged one way or the other. I've trained and coached lots of folks under 14 to kill their first deer with rifles with comparable or greater recoil than the 6.5.

DSC08470.JPG

Tight Lines

Bingo. And because they are lifetime gifts, I didn't want to cut the stock down and/or get him a youth model so he has a full size Tikka T3 Hunter left handed...with a Leupold optic. So he bench shoots it for now, and in another year or two he can carry it in the field and he isn't remotely afraid of or unfamiliar with it. He respects it.

Tight Lines

I'll tell you guys, I've been one of those that always shoots the trigger that comes with a weapon, but after shooting that AR with the mil-spec that had 7-8 lbs. of pull and grit...I told him we'd get him a new one. And wow am I a believer...that Velocity is a 3 lb. single stage that is amazing. I bet his groups get cut down in size by half if not more...

Reactions: Dub

transfixer

I'll tell you guys, I've been one of those that always shoots the trigger that comes with a weapon, but after shooting that AR with the mil-spec that had 7-8 lbs. of pull and grit...I told him we'd get him a new one. And wow am I a believer...that Velocity is a 3 lb. single stage that is amazing. I bet his groups get cut down in size by half if not more...

If that trigger doesn't suit him, check out some of the two stage triggers, I was gifted a Giessele two stage, one of the lower priced versions, its an amazing trigger, I like the fact that the first stage is 2.5lbs, and the final part an additional 2lbs, it lets met take up the first stage, make sure of the shot, and then just a bit more for the final break, I believe it adds an element of safety as well, especially for a younger hunter who might have buck fever and squeeze too soon . I already had an enhanced single stage trigger in my Ar which wasn't bad at all, but the two stage allowed me to tighten my groups another half inch or so.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Tight Lines

That's pretty impressive. A lot better than I can shoot at that distance.

Thank you. Family tradition to go to the range at Thanksgiving and we can shoot out to 600 yards at this one. I normally have the kids shoot 100, 200, 300 and then they blow up some Tannerite. They also shoot the spinners with their .22s. They've both gotten pretty good off the bench. I don't have my son bird hunting yet, though he is close. Still can't swing my old 20 gauge safely so maybe another year...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you. Family tradition to go to the range at Thanksgiving and we can shoot out to 600 yards at this one. I normally have the kids shoot 100, 200, 300 and then they blow up some Tannerite. They also shoot the spinners with their .22s. They've both gotten pretty good off the bench. I don't have my son bird hunting yet, though he is close. Still can't swing my old 20 gauge safely so maybe another year...
I need to shoot more at long ranges. I do pretty good out to about 200, and not so good past that. My eyes aren't what they used to be, either.

Tight Lines

I need to shoot more at long ranges. I do pretty good out to about 200, and not so good past that. My eyes aren't what they used to be, either.

I understand that! I never thought I'd buy expensive optics until I hit 50! Now I have a couple of Swaros and a couple of Vortex that allow me to reach out and touch something 500-600 yards away...couldn't do that with my run of the mill Nikons and Leupolds...

Big7

The Oracle
Bingo. And because they are lifetime gifts, I didn't want to cut the stock down and/or get him a youth model so he has a full size Tikka T3 Hunter left handed...with a Leupold optic. So he bench shoots it for now, and in another year or two he can carry it in the field and he isn't remotely afraid of or unfamiliar with it. He respects it.
Good to know.

The "recoil" was not my issue.
"in another year or two" to carry in the field- you cleared that up for me. I said I wasn't knocking or judging..?Just curious.

Latest posts