Son's New AR-15

GeorgiaBob

Why would you buy a 12 year old "kid" a 6.5 or anything else chambered in a high powered rifle caliber? You even admitted at least one was "to big" for him.

I'm not knocking or judging to much- but I am curious.

Because kids grow up and growing kids adapt to use the tools they are familiar with. I gave my grandson a flintlock .50 cal long rifle for his 8th birthday. It was longer than he was tall and the only way he could shoot it standing was with a shooting stick. He is 10 now and still has some difficulty holding it unsupported when he fires it standing.

My grandson, at 10 years old, knows about how to load, aim, fire, clean, and store a flintlock rifle. He has used that knowledge to safely learn how to handle, shoot, clean and store a 30-06, a 12GA, an AR-15 in 5.56/.223 Wilde, a .22 rifle, a Navy .44 six shooter, and a 30-30 lever gun. He likes the 30-06, as long as he gets to shoot from a table, and is almost as accurate at 100 yards with the scoped 30-06 as he is with the flintlock!

I read somewhere that I should, "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it." I suspect that could apply to firearms training!

Tight Lines

Good to know.

The "recoil" was not my issue.
"in another year or two" to carry in the field- you cleared that up for me. I said I wasn't knocking or judging..?Just curious.

All good, not offended in the least...it was a good and fair question. And I am used to it, my wife regularly asks do we need this? Are they old enough? Why do they need another weapon? What is an AR for? The good thing is she can't tell them apart and doesn't know how many I have... :). Or we...

snuffy

I buy my grand kids guns for their first birthdays.
In the last 6 years I have bought 4 Henrys and 1 Ruger 10/22.

As they get older who will remember what they got for their first birthday?

Mine will!

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
If you want his AR to shoot really good get a new barrel from White Oak Armament. You might find another company that will have one as accurate, but you won't find one more accurate then from WOA. Mine shoots 10 shots thumbnail_WOA & TARGET .jpginside a dime at 100 yards.

Tight Lines

If you want his AR to shoot really good get a new barrel from White Oak Armament. You might find another company that will have one as accurate, but you won't find one more accurate then from WOA. Mine shoots 10 shots View attachment 1016921inside a dime at 100 yards.

I'm actually building another one right now...probably using a Compass Lake Bartlein SS on that build...

Tight Lines

If you want his AR to shoot really good get a new barrel from White Oak Armament. You might find another company that will have one as accurate, but you won't find one more accurate then from WOA. Mine shoots 10 shots View attachment 1016921inside a dime at 100 yards.

So far, I have the upper, lower, optics (Vortex), and a few of the other pieces...waiting on the BCG to send to the barrel manufacturer, and still trying to decide on the stock, pistol grip, and hand guard...also have the monopod and the bipod (Accu-shot & Atlas) and am trying to decide which trigger...I've only shot single stage, my brother swears by 2-stage...thinking of having this one cerakoted in desert camo...should be a cool build...as for the one above, it is more than accurate enough for my son...that's the last build I am doing for him, he can get a job and do it himself next!

Last edited:

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
WOA 18" complete upper free floating varmint barrel fluted 1 in 7" twist attached to a Colt M-4 with a Geissele SSA-E trigger. Using reloaded Sierra 69 grain Match King bullets it shoots 3/8" five shot groups at 100 yards. I also have a Bushnell 4.5-18x40mm scope with "Custom Turret label" accurate out to 900 yards. The rings are 1" high QD aluminum. The group in the picture was with 65 grain Sierra Game kings which I use for deer.. The target is at 400 yds. with no wind.

thumbnail_WOA & TARGET .jpg

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_20180911_183425462_HDR.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20180911_183425462_HDR.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Tight Lines

Those two can shoot; especially to be fairly young! Dad and kids should be proud. 300 yards in a cross wind is challenging; especially for a smaller framed shooter. Congrats.

Thank you, they have been shooting since they were very young...and they are comfortable around weapons...

Reactions: Dub

Dub

I buy my grand kids guns for their first birthdays.
In the last 6 years I have bought 4 Henrys and 1 Ruger 10/22.

As they get older who will remember what they got for their first birthday?

Mine will!

Now that is mighty cool.

Good stuff !!!!

My first birthday present was a German Sheppard named Baron. Shame he's not still around to look over me and my growing family. :) Great heirlooms in the making you've started yours out with. (y)