New AR-15 Build...

Jester896

Senior Clown
i've used 14X @ 1K it takes a minute to find bullets strikes on dark target but doable @900...seems like 10X might be good at those ranges. mine is 8X and I have only used it out to 400 and it was getting hard to see strikes...I guess that is why they make spotting scopes

Tight Lines

i've used 14X @ 1K it takes a minute to find bullets strikes on dark target but doable @900...seems like 10X might be good at those ranges. mine is 8X and I have only used it out to 400 and it was getting hard to see strikes...I guess that is why they make spotting scopes
Next purchase...

Reactions: Dub

Dub

What did you get? Straight or angled and what brand / power?

I picked up the model that @lampern posted on sale at Sportsman's Warehouse.

IMG_1719.jpeg

It may be a discontinued model, I'm not sure....doesn't look exactly like the ones in the current Vortex lineup.

It is fairly heavy, certainly not a piece of gear that I'd be toting on long walking hunts.....but it should prove great at the range....and the heft will be welcome on windy days.

I like the pic rail on it.....going to mount a spare red dot optic on it for quick setup. I think my son borrowed my tripod, so I've not really evaluated the scope very extensively. I really like the focus knobs on it. Fast-rough focus knob and a separate fine-detail focus.

It came with a neoprene sleeve that fits snugly over the unit with cutouts for the base and focus knobs.
Padded lens covers in addition to rubber lens covers.

The scope body itself is rubberized and feels fairly robust. There is an integral telescoping glare shade. I haven't tried using that feature after I put the neoprene sleeve on.

For my needs, I think it'll be great. (y)(y)(y)

Last edited:

Tight Lines

I picked up the model that @lampern posted on sale at Sportsman's Warehouse.

View attachment 1276792

It may be a discontinued model, I'm not sure....doesn't look exactly like the ones in the current Vortex lineup.

It is fairly heavy, certainly not a piece of meat that I'd be toting on long walking hunts.....but it should prove great at the range....and the heft will be welcome on windy days.

I like the pic rail on it.....going to mount a spare red dot optic on it for quick setup. I think my son borrowed my tripod, so I've not really evaluated the scope very extensively. I really like the focus knobs on it. Fast-rough focus knob and a separate fine-detail focus.

It came with a neoprene sleeve that fits snugly over the unit with cutouts for the base and focus knobs.
Padded lens covers in addition to rubber lens covers.

The scope body itself is rubberized and feels fairly robust. There is an integral telescoping glare shade. I haven't tried using that feature after I put the neoprene sleeve on.

For my needs, I think I'll be great. (y)(y)(y)
Nice!

Reactions: Dub

Dub

Like I said....I'm thinking it'll be solid for my basic needs.

I can see where shooters on the move would value something lighter or additional features. (with a steep price increase)

I'm looking forward to getting it on a stable mount and seeing what it'll do.