New AR-15 Build - 6 MM ARC

Tight Lines

Well I still have not had time to assemble my 5.56 AR build that I was working on, planning to start tonight...

I have a second that was coming together and I decided to build a 6MM ARC so went ahead and picked up some ammo...have most of the parts and the barrel is on order...with a headspace bolt...then all I need are mags...I think I am going to like this one.

Planning to put a thermal on it and make it a hog/varmint night gun...

IMG_2839.JPG

Tight Lines

103 grain ELD-X Hornady at 2800 FPS and nominal drop out to 300 yards. PBR at 7.5" nominal target diameter is 300 yards...

Tight Lines

That is the hunting round, I also ordered a brick of the 105 grain Hornady Black to sight it in and practice with...the ELD-X will be for hunting...

Last edited:

bullgator

BTW, ironically the 105 Hornady Black is seemingly the most accurate out of mine. That’s the 105 hp bullet.

Stroker

Been interested and watching the forum's on the 6mm ARC. Like the ballistics. Load a lot of .243 so I have a bunch of the components(bullets) to play with. It will be my next upper.

Tight Lines

Been interested and watching the forum's on the 6mm ARC. Like the ballistics. Load a lot of .243 so I have a bunch of the components(bullets) to play with. It will be my next upper.

It's a really solid all around performer in the AR-15 platform...far more capable than the 5.56 and similar to the .308 except in the smaller rifle...great BC and SD on the 6MM round...we shall see...the 5.56 I am building has a match stainless barrel and this one will too...so we will see which is more accurate...the 5.56 is going to be a 77 grain round...

Stroker

It's a really solid all around performer in the AR-15 platform...far more capable than the 5.56 and similar to the .308 except in the smaller rifle...great BC and SD on the 6MM round...we shall see...the 5.56 I am building has a match stainless barrel and this one will too...so we will see which is more accurate...the 5.56 is going to be a 77 grain round...
I got a 6.5G upper as a gift at Xmas and have been playing around with it, otherwise I'd already have me an ARC upper.

sleepr71

Wolf makes cheap FMJ Ammo for the 6.5G….which ultimately,steered me down that path. I like the 6mm Arc ballistics better. Staying with an AR15 platform just brings compromises. I’ll follow along & see how the 6mm does on game,and if it becomes more mainstream ?

Tight Lines

Wolf makes cheap FMJ Ammo for the 6.5G….which ultimately,steered me down that path. I like the 6mm Arc ballistics better. Staying with an AR15 platform just brings compromises. I’ll follow along & see how the 6mm does on game,and if it becomes more mainstream ?
The ammo isn't that bad for the 6MM ARC...I loaded up at around $1.40 per round...that's not that different than any other hunting round I have...it is far different than average 5.56 for sure, but I'm not mag dumping this gun...it's a precision weapon...I'm building a 20" barreled AR-15 with thermal optics...that should be a great hog & varmint gun...

menhadenman

Any updates on the 6 mm ARC?

I’m eyeballing another upper for a lower I’ve had laying around for a couple years. Noodling on the idea of adding an ARC or a Valkyrie to the stable. I already have 6.5 G, several 223 W, and 300 BLK.

I have a complete upper, charging handle and hand guard, just need a barrel and BCG.

I have lots of Grendel brass and 243 bullets so thinking ARC may be the ticket.

Thanks for any updates.