That neighbor....

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Do you know one? That one where you do them one favor, help them with something once and now your his maintenance guy, or loan them something and it’s on like donkey Kong. Wants to borrow everything, something that can be had at Walmart, Hardware store, or any of the big box stores everywhere for practically nothing.

A $10.00 item, your going to need it again soon, go get yourself one.

I’ll have to get rude in the near future to nip it in the bud. He text me the other day, “do you have a hose nozzle I can borrow”? Do you have a chainsaw I can borrow? Do you have a weed eater shoulder strap?

Wife: Would you be interested in replacing our deck boards and hand rails? Me:No

Wife: “Oh ok, I’ve got some indoor projects I could use some help with, would you like to take care of them for me”? Me: No

Next week, text from him: “Do you have a so and so I can borrow”?

I’m Fixin to become a bad neighbor too.

Anyone else btdt?

baddave

yes i do - like every one w/ in hollering distance

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Btw, I met them once at another neighbors Christmas party and talked to them for about 15-20 minutes. The next time I talked to him was 4 months later when he drove up in my driveway and asked if I could come mow his lawn for him. He lives across the road about a 100 yds away. :rofl:

sinclair1

I am good at No! Most know I have two mowers so I don’t track weeds from the back to the front, so they don’t ask.

You pressure wash trees and the street, they will stay away

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

sinclair1

I did Loan my Stihl chainsaw out and just on a hunch I ask if you have two stroke. Answer was huh, so I gave him the gas can. 30 years old and don’t know about two stroke.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
I did Loan my Stihl chainsaw out and just on a hunch I ask if you have two stroke. Answer was huh, so I gave him the gas can. 30 years old and don’t know about two stroke.

Probably doesn't have chain bar oil either or even if it needs it.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
I am good at No! Most know I have two mowers so I don’t track weeds from the back to the front, so they don’t ask.

I told him no on mowing his grass right off the bat, he still came back over wanting to borrow a chainsaw. I asked what he needed it for. When he told me he had some crepe myrtle limbs tangled in between his power and telephone service where it comes to his house from the pole, I knew I had to go get that for him. I sure wasn’t giving him my saw and letting him do it.

When I found out why he wanted me to mow his lawn or borrow his mower it confirmed everything I thought initially.

He’s got a lawnmower, but it was stuck in his our building because a 2 seater go cart for the kids are blocking him from getting it out.

GoldDot40

I will help my neighbors any time I can, but I drew the line a couple years ago. Sorta hurt their feelings some, but they got over it.

When I bought sod, I asked the neighbors on both sides if they were interested in a couple of pallets to add to the order to get the price per pallet down. Both neighbors did. I laid mine, one of the neighbors laid theirs and one asked me if I'd lay theirs. I said no...laying my own 5 pallets by myself was PLENTY for me. They ended up hiring a guy.

These same neighbors are retired and travel a lot. Not long after the sod was laid, they were going out of town. He came over and asked me if I would come turn on their sprinkler, let it run for 1 hr, move it to another spot, let it run 1 hr then to a 3rd spot to run 1 hr every evening while they were gone. So you want me to make myself available for 3 hours every night for 8 nights....on top of my daughter's softball and not to mention all of my own responsibilities at home? Ain't happening. I was kinda aggravated that he would even ask.

I quickly showed him an automatic timed sprinkler controller that he could set to run 4 differet zones...one at a time. It was the same setup I bought for my own sod. I could tell that he didn't want to spend the money on all that, but he knew he didn't have a choice if he wanted his grass watered.

He actually didn't speak to me for over a month. He finally caught me in the yard one day and THANKED me for showing him the product. Apparently he still uses it regularly when we don't get a lot of rain. But he still doesn't ask for ridiculous favors...just a small one every so often and I don't mind helping with the small ones.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Most folks don’t like my stare so they leave me alone. The ones it doesn’t bother are my friends.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
Others above have made me feel proud of ya'll too......My Father always taught me to help everybody that I could along life pathway way, because the person that you help today might be the person the helps you tomorrow. HOWEVER THIS THREAD DOESN'T INCLUDE THOSE KINDS OF PEOPLE !!! :banginghe

CHIEF, dang you make me proud of yourself !!!!! :cheers: I know that you have helped every Tom, Dick and Harry in your neighborhood ever since I have known you because you are that kind of guy. I used to be that way too (but I am NOT skilled like you are).

Strange that you mention that BECAUSE MY NEIGHBOR BOUGHT A LAWNMOWER just THURSDAY...because I told him that he was NOT going to be using mine anymore in the future.

When I got home late Thursday afternoon, my grass had been cut really well BY HIS NEW LAWNMOWER !!!! He was always wanting to borrow things etc and I told him that I was not loaning out anything in the future as I took very good care of all of my tools, mower, weedeater, blower, chain saw etc and I was the ONLY person that would get a chance to break anything. He has always been one of the laziest people that I have ever known and he couldn't hold down a job either. If you listened to him for 5 minutes, He would try to make you believe that he is the smartest person on this planet !!! NOT facepalm::rofl::banginghe!!! He lives off SSI benefits now. I also reminded him that he was much younger than me so he could take care of himself instead.

My late wife nor our Daughter has ever liked him either.

Last edited:

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
This guy doesn’t work, his wife works from home as a graphic designer. He told me the last job he had was through a buddy that ran a huge landscape company and gave him a Supervisor position riding around in an air conditioned truck checking on crews with no knowledge in the business whatsoever. He told me that he told his buddy that he had no experience and his buddy said you don’t need to know anything about the job. Just go check and make sure they’re working.

I can tell you now employees don’t appreciate that kind of stuff, especially one or 2 that have been striving for advancement opportunities like that and do know the business. He no longer works there.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
This thread makes me realize how lucky I am for my neighbors as we help each other out regularly, share things out of each other's gardens, get each other's mail if they are out of town, water/feed pets.

I’ve got plenty of great neighbors, this one and his wife are moochers, plain and simple.

bilgerat

Senior
My neighbor is a low life thief, ex con , white trash piece of you know what.! I tried to be nice but a few months ago He borrowed My utility trailer without asking, used it to steal some stuff from a trailer park that was sold and being cleaned out for developing. He got caught and went to jail. I had to go get My trailer from the sheriffs office. In the 3 years hes live next door hes spent over half in the pokey for one thing or another.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
My neighbor is a low life thief, ex con , white trash piece of you know what.! I tried to be nice but a few months ago He borrowed My utility trailer without asking, used it to steal some stuff from a trailer park that was sold and being cleaned out for developing. He got caught and went to jail. I had to go get My trailer from the sheriffs office. In the 3 years hes live next door hes spent over half in the pokey for one thing or another.

I’ll take this neighbor over yours. You win...