That One Backpack Item

krizia829

What do you think would be that one backpack item you carry into the woods that no one else might have (or very few have) but can be handy?

For me, it would be a whistle. We have very limited phone signal and in case of an emergency, I tell those who hunt with me that if they hear it, come get me. I keep one in my fishing backpack too.

Most people go by the 3 shot rule, but in the woods, 3 shots can mean anything. Emergency, missed your target, pest control by a neighbor, etc.

What would you say is yours? It may help any of us out.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
What do you think would be that one backpack item you carry into the woods that no one else might have (or very few have) but can be handy?

For me, it would be a whistle. We have very limited phone signal and in case of an emergency, I tell those who hunt with me that if they hear it, come get me. I keep one in my fishing backpack too.

Most people go by the 3 shot rule, but in the woods, 3 shots can mean anything. Emergency, missed your target, pest control by a neighbor, etc.

I think along these lines. My whistle is tethered to a signal mirror. If you’re in a bad way a helicopter will be part of the search. A signal mirror increases your odds of being found.

BamaGeorgialine

I never use the three shot rule because that only leaves me with one arrow left in my quiver.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I never use the three shot rule because that only leaves me with one arrow left in my quiver.
Probably wondering why no one ever hears you and responds. :bounce:

basshappy

BANNED
The ONE item unlikely to be in most packs? Tough call. Someone posted flagging tape - my boy and I have that orange roll of flagging tape and it can be a time saver in many ways. Whistles are smart and we have those, too.

I struggle with what yer asking - just one item! LOL. We have quite a bit we carry in our packs, but I will go with out smoke bomb / flare / air horn tri-bundle. Big ol' flare that burns for a while and a smoke bomb that is almost as long as the flare that outputs a ton of smoke, pretty quick too. The air horn can be heard for quite a ways and if we are short of breathe all we need to do is press the button.