That One Backpack Item

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I keep extra stuff in my pack so i dont have to walk back to truck or camp....striking paper 2 ply and a GOOD flashlight....im lazy....
Nothing lazy about that. I ride in but it may be miles of winding logging road from my truck. I carry enough to have water, light, fire starter etc. I can walk out if the ATV goes down, call for help, or worst case hunker down and wait for help. Don’t overload my pack, don’t want to carry extra weight but carry what I need.

flatwoods

I don't carry much that I usually don't if I'm doing a morning or evening stand hunt. (I always carry a couple knives, pistol, spare mag, couple of lighters, etc. in my pockets no matter what I'm doing) Might hang a pair of compact nocs and a grunt call around my neck and stick a drag rope and small headlamp in my pocket. No backpack.
If I'm going back in the mountains all day, I'll carry a daypack with some water or a filter, drag rope, and maybe a small six-point set of rattling horns, and a ziplock for the heart. Probably a pack or two of crackers and maybe some jerky or mixed nuts. I just don't tote a bunch of stuff. I really don't understand the obsession over toilet paper on here. Must be an epidemic of spastic diarrhea or dysentery in GA? I go to the bathroom before I go out to hunt. On the rare occasion nature calls, there are leaves a foot deep on the ground and growing on the bushes. I wonder how people survived several hundred thousand years without Charmin? :)

I can do it fine, prefer paper towels to dry china berry leaves though.
Makes my fingers smell funny.
You must not drink as many beers as I do. ;)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I can do it fine, prefer paper towels to dry china berry leaves though.
Makes my fingers smell funny.
You must not drink as many beers as I do. ;)
We don't have Chinaberries here. I do in SC, but I don't use those. Too little. I kill them on my place. They're invasive. I also don't use crispy dry leaves. I also don't have chronic diarrhea where I can't leave home for three hours without needing Chinaberry leaves. :)

flatwoods

We don't have Chinaberries here. I do in SC, but I don't use those. Too little. I kill them on my place. They're invasive. I also don't use crispy dry leaves. I also don't have chronic diarrhea where I can't leave home for three hours without needing Chinaberry leaves. :)
Must be all the burgers.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

sleepr71

Only been lost once in my life & that was on a 7,000 acre tract of thick river swamp. It was on a cold,COLD,,Sunday evening..the last weekend of deer season,in January. I was the ONLY soul hunting that day..mainly for a hog..and somehow missed a turn in my trail coming out. It was starting to rain & getting colder. This was pre cell phone days,and I didn’t have a compass with me:(. Flashlight went dead after about an hour..so I wandered in circles for 2 more hours..in the dark. No sense in shooting up in the air…nobody was within miles. Finally came out on the Road that my truck was parked on…about 1/4 mile from my truck. Soaking wet..Cold..teeth chattering…and disgusted with myself for not having a Compass + extra flashlight on me.! I made it back to my truck at 9:00 pm..which is 3 hours after dark in January;). Stripped ALL of my wet clothes off & drove home with the heat wide open. IF I had ever stopped moving…and let myself get cold..I probably would have been found dead the next day,from Hypothermia;) Never again will I hunt without: an extra pair of socks,a Compass,Whistle,toilet paper…and (2) Headlamps..with fresh batteries in each. That gives me 4-5 hours of hands free flashlight. Cellphone is standard equipment for most of us…but I have been known to lose/forget my cell phone.!

Mackie889

Mine would be a small weighted treble hook on a string. I use this to retrieve items I’ve dropped from my stand. Many of my camo gloves have been retrieved after pulling them off to play on my phone only to find it later on the ground when done playing with the phone. A few times I have pulled up my hat, a dropped quiver of arrows, and a dropped grunt call. It keeps me from having to make noise climbing down to get the items … and it’s kind of fun, like a game trying to retrieve the items without getting the hook snagged on vines and branches.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Depends on if I'm hunting solo or with the wife or kids.

I usually go lite, couple waters, TP, drag rope, pistol, range finder and knife.

Taking them, snacks, more water, extra clothes, heater, etc.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
This years new addition to the pack will be a Hank Hammond special that I got earlier this year, can’t wait to put it to work!

You'll like that knife. The style, size, and shape is about as perfect for what it's designed for. I have three of them and love them all.

Rodonne1

You'll like that knife. The style, size, and shape is about as perfect for what it's designed for. I have three of them and love them all.
Funny thing is, I fell in love with it as soon as I put my hands on it. I’ve since reached out to Hank and placed an order for some others.

The size weight and feel of this one is perfect though, can’t wait to put it to work this fall!!

specialk

Nothing lazy about that. I ride in but it may be miles of winding logging road from my truck. I carry enough to have water, light, fire starter etc. I can walk out if the ATV goes down, call for help, or worst case hunker down and wait for help. Don’t overload my pack, don’t want to carry extra weight but carry what I need.
Screenshot_20230922_120032_Gallery.jpg
No im lazy, really....my view of my cart from my stand.....

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

specialk

If you get lucky the deer will just fall in the cart. :bounce:

I hunt a gasline ROW and can see a few hunderd yds either direction, theres a thread in deer hunting from last yr where i killed a decent 9pt that was standing about 60yds from the cart(battery) when i shot....

Mars

I'm fortunate enough to live on the same property where I hunt. I don't take much since I'm never more that 400yds away from the house. Thermacell, possibly some water and a snack. The normal everyday items(knife, flashlight, pistol, phone, etc.) are included as well