Thinking About A New Truck

Triple C

Boys - I bought a new GMC 1500 AT4 with 3.0 turbo diesel. Got 2300 miles on it since buying in February. 2017 GMC 1500 had 109k and either transmission or torque converter was going out. Didn't wait around to find out which.

Way early in but love this truck. 3.0 diesel is a hoss and the 10 speed tranny is really smooth. Averaging 23.1 MPG since new. Will see how it holds up in 5 years.

As for the Taco's...I had made my mind up that I was going in a Tacoma on my next truck. Approaching retirement and other than wife and me or grandson and me, no one hardly ever rides with me. Got talked out of it. Son and buddies said I wouldn't like the smaller truck after being accustomed to the 1500's.

Bought my first Toyota in 1979. Owned 5 of em since then and all were flawless vehicles. Just hope I can say the same bout my new ride.

Robert28

All around the world developing nations have access to low cost, rugged trucks. For instance, Tata motors makes a midsize 4x4 that can be had for about 10k. Its akin to a stripped down Toyota Hilux with a 4 cylinder diesel engine.

tata-xenon.jpg

I have ridden in one several times. The only reason you cannot get it here is because US and Asian manufacturers do not want you to buy 15k trucks. They want you to buy 60 trucks.
Another huge problem is the NHTSA. That $15,000 truck would cost 25000-30000 just to be able to pass the safety specifications and all the other stuff.

Redbow

I haven’t had a chance to read through the entire thread, and not sure if you’ve bought yet but just wanted you to be aware that an all new Tacoma is coming this year. So you’ll have to decide if you want to buy a 3rd gen or 4th gen. Supposed to be announced this week or next actually from what I’ve read.
No, I haven't bought a new truck yet honestly I don't know if I will. I can fix up my old Chevy Silverado a lot cheaper than I can buy a new truck of any kind. Since we sold the Nissan Frontier last year the Wife's 2019 Nissan Rogue and my old '86 Chevy is the only vehicles we have now.

pjciii

No, I haven't bought a new truck yet honestly I don't know if I will. I can fix up my old Chevy Silverado a lot cheaper than I can buy a new truck of any kind. Since we sold the Nissan Frontier last year the Wife's 2019 Nissan Rogue and my old '86 Chevy is the only vehicles we have now.

Fix it up and you will have an instant classic.

Redbow

Fix it up and you will have an instant classic.
My old Chevy looks pretty good as it is paint is nice everywhere I drive it most of the time someone will walk over and ask if my truck is for sale. One guy at DG about two months ago asked me if I would take 20k for it and I said no and I would not. The old Chevy stays inside in my outside garage all the time unless I am using it. It needs new exhaust, a tranny rebuild and a carb rebuild the Edelbrock has been on my truck for over 23 years now, bought it new and installed it. Engine runs good it is a Goodwrench 350 also installed over 23 years ago. When I installed the new engine I put everything new back on it all the accessories. The 350 engine still runs like a champ.

I'm waiting on a shop up in Goldsboro NC to get my truck in for a tranny rebuild. I will get the exhaust work done locally. I rebuilt the front end a few years ago I won't have to do that again it will outlast me. Its a good ole truck and I won't ever part with it as long as I am alive. Wife says she would never sell it either.

Here’s another vote for a Tacoma. I’ve had an F150, a Silverado, a Ranger, a Nissan Hardbody, a Nissan Frontier, and 3 Tacomas. The 3 American made ones just fell apart. The Nissans were pretty good but not close to a Toyota. One of the Tacomas got wrecked and the second one that I bought for 24k, I sold for 24k to get my 2020. They flat hold their value. I drive the wheels off them and the 3 Tacomas just don’t take any work other than oil, tires, and timing belt. I’m hoping to get 1 million on my 2020.

Core Lokt

Do any of y'all search the net and purchase that way like not from your area? Seems like be had talking to some folks.

Robert28

I will say if you’re going to buy a Tacoma, I would do it now because I’m sure the 2024’s will have substantial price increases

Redbow

I will say if you’re going to buy a Tacoma, I would do it now because I’m sure the 2024’s will have substantial price increases
They can keep on raising the prices of new trucks and I will just keep fixing up my old '86 Silverado. Its still a good ole truck and fun to drive and it still turns a lot of heads when I'm out and about in it.

transfixer

Even buying a new Toyota people need to be aware that they are also over-complicated, with new somewhat untested systems, and newer transmissions that while good, are not trouble free, the newer automatics have more speeds, shift between gears more often, and as a result valvebodies are wearing out prematurely, especially if driven in city daily driving and not on highway all the time,

its buyer beware ! regardless of the brand, even Toyota isn't what they once were !

Redbow

Even buying a new Toyota people need to be aware that they are also over-complicated, with new somewhat untested systems, and newer transmissions that while good, are not trouble free, the newer automatics have more speeds, shift between gears more often, and as a result valvebodies are wearing out prematurely, especially if driven in city daily driving and not on highway all the time,

its buyer beware ! regardless of the brand, even Toyota isn't what they once were !
Yep, the auto makers want it to be that way they want things to give trouble and wear out so we have to buy something else at huge overinflated prices. I can remember a time when a man could purchase a Ford or Chevy and a Dodge also and drive that vehicle for 10 years with no problems except maybe minor ones. Now even the new stuff gives problems and many of them with low mileage.

The 350 turbo tranny in my old Chevy truck I bought used didn't know if it would work or not. It works good still and has now for probably 10 years or so but it could use a rebuild and I am going to get that done. I have never had a bad 350 turbo tranny in all my years of driving GM products. The last GM product I had a 2008 Sierra had a good tranny and engine but at 80k the front end and steering was worn out. IMO that should not be so I have quit with GM for good. Funny how the aftermarket stuff to rebuild the front end of my Sierra came with grease fittings and there were only two grease fittings from the factory, the tie rod ends had grease fittings the other front end components that needed grease had none.

jdgator

All in the pursuit of MPG.

Not to mention engines that shut down because the vehicle idled for a few seconds and must restart every time you mash the pedal. Drawing a heavy load on the battery, allowing oil pressure to fall, allowing parts to lose lubrication, and overusing the starter motor, circuits, and solenoids. Alternators have to work harder to catch back up after the initial crank, etc.
Its the first few seconds that wear down the mechanicals, not the following miles when the system is running.

transfixer

All in the pursuit of MPG.

Not to mention engines that shut down because the vehicle idled for a few seconds and must restart every time you mash the pedal. Drawing a heavy load on the battery, allowing oil pressure to fall, allowing parts to lose lubrication, and overusing the starter motor, circuits, and solenoids. Alternators have to work harder to catch back up after the initial crank, etc.
Its the first few seconds that wear down the mechanicals, not the following miles when the system is running.

Yep, I've been just waiting to see how many starters are going to need replacing prematurely , some of them are a royal pain to access to change out !

ucfireman

All around the world developing nations have access to low cost, rugged trucks. For instance, Tata motors makes a midsize 4x4 that can be had for about 10k. Its akin to a stripped down Toyota Hilux with a 4 cylinder diesel engine.

tata-xenon.jpg

I have ridden in one several times. The only reason you cannot get it here is because US and Asian manufacturers do not want you to buy 15k trucks. They want you to buy 60 trucks.
I wonder if they would pass emissions or safety?
If so it might be worth paying the fees to import one, if you could get parts if needed.

I have said for years the manufacturers need to build a no frills small truck with a small diesel. They do in other countries, Americans are too worried about more (PW, PL (I like), Leather, hands free driving) than dependability.

Redbow

I wonder if they would pass emissions or safety?
If so it might be worth paying the fees to import one, if you could get parts if needed.

I have said for years the manufacturers need to build a no frills small truck with a small diesel. They do in other countries, Americans are too worried about more (PW, PL (I like), Leather, hands free driving) than dependability.
In 1985 the wife and I bought an '84 Mercury Lynx with a 4 cyl Diesel engine. The Diesel was made by Mazda so we were told. It had a 5 speed manual tranny the car handled well and it rode fairly decent. We bought that little car from the Ford dealership in Florence SC. The dealership had 2 of those little cars and could not sell them because of the Diesel factor.

The little Lynx had sufficient power and great fuel mileage, getting 54 mpg on the highway and 49 mpg around town. I drove it back and forth to work for several years about 84k miles with no problems then gave the little car to my FIL. He drove the Lynx for a couple of years then sold it to a guy who drove every day from Beaufort NC to Raleigh NC and back for work. The last account I had of the Lynx it had over 300,000 miles on the engine with only one injector pump change out.

Yeah a mid-sized Diesel truck would be great but the Diesel engine in one would add several thousand dollars to the sticker price no doubt.

The Lynx that we had I bought for 6k out the door, the window sticker listed it for over 8400 bucks. It was a very good car, I should have kept that little car for good mileage on the highway. It had A/C also.

Baroque Brass

Boys - I bought a new GMC 1500 AT4 with 3.0 turbo diesel. Got 2300 miles on it since buying in February. 2017 GMC 1500 had 109k and either transmission or torque converter was going out. Didn't wait around to find out which.

Way early in but love this truck. 3.0 diesel is a hoss and the 10 speed tranny is really smooth. Averaging 23.1 MPG since new. Will see how it holds up in 5 years.

As for the Taco's...I had made my mind up that I was going in a Tacoma on my next truck. Approaching retirement and other than wife and me or grandson and me, no one hardly ever rides with me. Got talked out of it. Son and buddies said I wouldn't like the smaller truck after being accustomed to the 1500's.

Bought my first Toyota in 1979. Owned 5 of em since then and all were flawless vehicles. Just hope I can say the same bout my new ride.
I’d mentioned my friend that bought a new Tundra. He’d had it about six months and traded it for the above mentioned GMC. He said mileage on the Tundra was awful and the bed was too short. He’s loving the GMC.

MudDucker

Staff member
Well, I jumped off a cliff and bought me a new chevy 1500 with the turbo diesel. Got over 25mpg on the highway this weekend.