Thoughts on a 350 legend

DynamicDennis

My wife is new to hunting, she has fired my 7mag and 300 win mag, does not like the kick. Most of our lease is going to be 100 yards and in anymore with the amount of undergrowth we have. Is this a good option???? Prices are reasonable and ammo not too bad.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
You can search 350 Legend and see my response's since the cartridge came out. I'm a huge fan and between my dad and myself, we have well over a dozen kills with it. Mine is a Savage Axis Compact with a MCarbo trigger spring. It is such a fun good to shoot and carry. I shoot the Winchester Deer Season XP cartridge and they are devastating. Only one of those deer ran after the shot and it only went 70-80 yards. The others were all bang/flop.

tcward

My wife is new to hunting, she has fired my 7mag and 300 win mag, does not like the kick. Most of our lease is going to be 100 yards and in anymore with the amount of undergrowth we have. Is this a good option???? Prices are reasonable and ammo not too bad.
Awesome little round. Will do the job fine as long as you understand its limits.

furtaker

The 350 Legend doesn't interest me much but I'm sure it's a deer killer. Similar to the 35 Rem.

I am interested in that new 400 Legend for a close range woods rifle.

ditchdoc24

I got an AR upper in .350 Legend for Christmas last year. I haven't been able to kill anything with it yet but I'm looking forward to seeing how it performs. Definitely a smooth shooter and I've heard good things about performance on game.

Adam5

I don’t hunt, but did do a .350 Legend budget build AR for home defense and as a range toy. I wanted something recoil friendly that has a little more mid and intermediate range oomph than my 5.56 rifle. It currently has an Sig Romeo 5 on it, but after I move next week I’m going to swap it with the Vortex Crossfire 3-9x40 scope that’s on my Winchester Wildcat .22 suppressor host.

The .350 AR makes a formidable home defense weapon with a mag full of 147gr Sierra V-Crowns over a healthy 28gr of Lil’Gun.

Next up will be playing with 250gr Hornady Sub-X for my friend’s suppressed .350.

Last edited:

bighonkinjeep

Fine for really short range, but the trajectory of a hand grenade makes itself apparent pretty quickly at distance.
I'd choose a bottleneck cartridge that shoots a good bit flatter especially for someone who hasnt done much field ranging and holdover. .308 comes to mind as a very good choice.
Maybe a youth model with a slip on recoil pad to boot.
Or if you hand load then you can cut the recoil in half or more with H4895 and some light bullets in either of the magnums or most any other cartridge.
More than one way to skin a cat.

Last edited:

transfixer

I've not fired one, I suspect it will more than do the job at short ranges, but in my mind its a cartridge developed for a specific niche application, northern states that do no allow bottle neck cartridges, there are many bottle necked cartridges that have little to no recoil that will do the same or better job than the 350, to me a .243 is the ultimate low recoil deer round, and its a LOT faster than the .350, even a 7mm08 has mild recoil, and more speed than the 350, speed equals hydrostatic shock and maximum expansion with correct bullets, and a lot less drop in trajectory than the 350

Liberty

I have an upper for one that was to be for my son to have something bigger than .223. He got a whole lot bigger in 1 year and just shoots a youth 308 that he killed one with a 110 yards Saturday. Look at the inch thick recoil pad on the 700 youth model. I'd go with a .308 and shoot mild factory loads if she can handle it or load it down with soft bullets.

Liberty

Fine for really short range, but the trajectory of a hand grenade makes itself apparent pretty quickly at distance.
I'd choose a bottleneck cartridge that shoots a good bit flatter especially for someone who hasnt done much field ranging and holdover. .308 comes to mind as a very good choice.
Maybe a youth model with a slip on recoil pad to boot.
Or if you hand load then you can cut the recoil in half or more with H4895 and some light bullets in either of the magnums or most any other cartridge.
More than one way to skin a cat.
I like the way you think.. A round nose bullet would be a great way to go loaded soft.

bighonkinjeep

I like the way you think.. A round nose bullet would be a great way to go loaded soft.
Lots of specialty bullets nowdays designed for lower velocitys.
I dont know if the OP handloads or not, but here are some Hodgdon youth loads.
Both 7Mag and .300Winmag are listed. A 120gr-135gr bullet at around 2500-2600fps will easily cleanly kill deer all day long and cut recoil down to similar to a 7.62X39 and may even be less than a .243. Of course the loads can be tweaked upward if desired to adjust for accuracy nodes, more giddyup etc.
Screenshot_20231122_123200_Drive.jpg

Hillbilly stalker

It’s much easier to find .243 rounds. Very little recoil, plenty of pop for deer and she will have the ability to reach out a little further if the need should arise. I recently switched to the Winchester ,95 grain Deer Seasin round. They leave a hole about the size of a jaw breaker and bleed them much better than the old corlokt I’ve always shot.

earlthegoat2

I used a 350L for the first time this year (in a straight wall area in MI) and I shot two deer with it and I can recommend it.

Nothing remarkable but it just works. Accurate from the AR I was shooting and very low recoil.

For under 100 yds, there is a good argument to use the most brutish cartridge you can that will be effective at your max acceptable range. Of course, usability comes into play as well.

35 cal options are good for low recoil but still adequate power and blood letting ability. 35 Rem ammo is scarce. 360 Buckhammer is only in lever actions and single shots. 350L is in ARs and bolt guns. Pick your 35 for your own needs.

I have all of them plus 450 BM and just ammo for 400 Legend.