Thoughts on a 350 legend

furtaker

It's a known fact that round nose bullets deflect just like pointed ones but I still don't like lightweight speedy bullets in the thick woods. I'm more confident in a bullet with a little weight behind it.

earlthegoat2

Didn’t think this was going to turn into a brush gun thread but if you think a brush gun shoots bullets that will deflect brush, kindly stay out of the woods and never hunt again.

Whether or not brush busting cartridges and bullets are fact or fiction (it is fiction), I don’t want to be the one behind that brush when the bullet starts deflecting it.

krizia829

350 Legend is nice, but I'd probably go with a .243 or 7mm-08 for her! Such awesome and underestimated calibers! .243 will be easier to find but if your mind is set on 350 Legend, it'll work as well!

transfixer

Didn’t think this was going to turn into a brush gun thread but if you think a brush gun shoots bullets that will deflect brush, kindly stay out of the woods and never hunt again.

Whether or not brush busting cartridges and bullets are fact or fiction (it is fiction), I don’t want to be the one behind that brush when the bullet starts deflecting it.

I wonder where the "brush gun" term originated ? did someone actually shoot through brush,vines, small saplings in an attempt to kill a deer ?

I know I've had a limb I couldn't see in my scope cause me to miss a deer a long time ago, and my youngest son had the same thing happen to him, deer was maybe 50yds away, he swears he didn't miss, no blood found, deer simply ran off, after much searching I found a half inch thick vine about 7 feet off the ground that was shot half into, he couldn't see the vine in the scope ,

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
The only thing I can offer is my BIL kills everything from antelope to elk with a 7MM-08. It’s gentle on the user and ammo would be easier find in these crazy times if you don’t hand load. If deer is your biggest game the .243 is another great caliber with easy to find ammo.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
In my area of WV I see more 350 Legend on the shelf than I do 7-08 or 243.
I remember seeing 350 Legend on the shelf every time I visited a Bass Pro or Academy back when everything else was scarce. It took years before I saw any 7mm-08. That is not to say anything of its effectiveness or the ease of finding/forming reloading components for it.

transfixer

In my area of WV I see more 350 Legend on the shelf than I do 7-08 or 243.

during the pandemic I saw 350 legend on the shelf when there wasn't much else, but I attribute that to not that many people owning a 350 legend, and I would suspect that is the case in your area also , manufacturers obviously are not going to make an excess of a fairly new caliber, I would imagine the inventory order of stores has the 350 somewhere in the middle, so for some to be left just means not that many people need that particular ammo

Dub

My wife is new to hunting, she has fired my 7mag and 300 win mag, does not like the kick.

Yep.....I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a lasting flinch after trying those.

Hopefully you can get her on the range.....working with a rimfire....then a .223 and then perhaps into what she'll be hunting with.

Patience and reassurance.

Shooting from a rest....from her shoulder....may learn to use a sling.....from shooting sticks, etc.

Bullet placement, bullet placement, bullet placement. (y)

Most of our lease is going to be 100 yards and in

That certainly leaves the door wide open for many cartridges.

Is this a good option???? Prices are reasonable and ammo not too bad.

Get something she'll enjoy shooting....a gun that fits her.....a trigger that is conducive to accuracy yet not a hair trigger....a gun that is heavy enough to properly handle the cartridge, yet not so heavy that aiming w/o a rest is difficult.

Put an optic on it that is easy to use.....easy sight picture......bold crosshairs....no windage or BDC noise....nothing that requires parallax adjustment.....just an easy to use optic with good eye relief.

Dub

(y) (y) (y) (y)

Heavy brush will find me carrying a 12 gauge.

transfixer

Yep.....I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a lasting flinch after trying those.

Hopefully you can get her on the range.....working with a rimfire....then a .223 and then perhaps into what she'll be hunting with.

Patience and reassurance.

Shooting from a rest....from her shoulder....may learn to use a sling.....from shooting sticks, etc.

Bullet placement, bullet placement, bullet placement. (y)

That certainly leaves the door wide open for many cartridges.

Get something she'll enjoy shooting....a gun that fits her.....a trigger that is conducive to accuracy yet not a hair trigger....a gun that is heavy enough to properly handle the cartridge, yet not so heavy that aiming w/o a rest is difficult.

Put an optic on it that is easy to use.....easy sight picture......bold crosshairs....no windage or BDC noise....nothing that requires parallax adjustment.....just an easy to use optic with good eye relief.

Very good advice ! and yes, having fairly new hunters/shooters shoot heavy kicking magnum calibers can cause them to develop a flinch that is hard to get over

Dub

Very good advice ! and yes, having fairly new hunters/shooters shoot heavy kicking magnum calibers can cause them to develop a flinch that is hard to get over

(y)

That was me.

A few years of shooting 7 RUM, 300 WinMag, 7 STW, etc had me flinching. Big ole 4 sammich eating dude.....flinching. :rofl:

Went back to where I started, .270 Win, .308 Win.....and have sorta stayed there....sorta.

I no longer own any rifles chambered in magnums.
Don't really need them.

If I ever did a Western hunt then I'd have to ponder on it.

transfixer

(y)

That was me.

A few years of shooting 7 RUM, 300 WinMag, 7 STW, etc had me flinching. Big ole 4 sammich eating dude.....flinching. :rofl:

Went back to where I started, .270 Win, .308 Win.....and have sorta stayed there....sorta.

I no longer own any rifles chambered in magnums.
Don't really need them.

If I ever did a Western hunt then I'd have to ponder on it.

A friend of mine had a .444 marlin that somehow blew up, cracked the receiver and damaged the bolt, scared him more than hurt him, and for the longest time he flinched bad every time he pulled the trigger, but he still liked big calibers, trying to make up for the fact he wasn't a very good shot , lol

I tried to coach him for the longest, I finally got my point across by giving him my .243 to shoot , which he knew didn't have much recoil, I gave it to him to shoot when we were practicing, with an empty chamber, he visibly jerked the gun when he squeezed the trigger, after that he started working on not flinching by dry firing with a spent case in the chamber,

Reactions: Dub

Tight Lines

Go read the small caliber deer thread...an AR-15 in 5.56 is great for new smaller framed shooters and easy peasy on the shoulder. I started both kids on that format vs. youth rifles.

A brush gun is called that because it is short and maneuvarable vs. what the bullet does. They were originally shorter, easy to swing, large caliber rifles like the Winchester '94 in .38-55.

A twig will deflect anything, but especially round nosed jacketed rounds...seen it twice in the last 3 seasons...a pencil sized twig separated the bullet of a .30-30 and a .45/70 that "old-timers" were using.

I've gone to smaller rounds for GA deer...no need for long shots on huge bodied midwest bucks...

5.56, .25-06, 6.5CM, .243, 7MM-08 and soon to be a 6MM ARC.

SC Hunter

If I were buying my wife or kids a rifle today I'd look at a ruger american go wild in 308 more than likely. All the above shoot my bergara 6.5 with ease, its just heavy enough that its not too heavy but soaks up most of the recoil too.

I had a bad flinch from shooting a light weight 270 when I was 15, it was bad. It took my a long time to work through that.