Thoughts on the selection of a handgun for self defense

KentuckyHeadhunter

Found a place this weekend with a few Sig P365s and picked one up. Haven't shot it yet but its the newer inception with some bugs that have been worked out apparently and better sights too. Looking forward to testing it out.

Reactions: Dub

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
@Balrog Excellent post! Glock19 in a crossbreed IWB or S&W BG .380 IWB or pocket holster, extra mag for .380 onboard.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
Found a place this weekend with a few Sig P365s and picked one up. Haven't shot it yet but its the newer inception with some bugs that have been worked out apparently and better sights too. Looking forward to testing it out.
Let us know what you think. Iv'e been waiting for a local gun range/gun store to have one to rent. I want to shoot it, the P938 and the Glock 43 at the same range session to compare and decide which one to buy

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I've been satisfied with my old 38 revolver also, I also have a 357 revolver that was my late FIL's. Can't say either way on semi auto hand gun because I've never owned one or shot one.
I love revolvers!!! I have several calibers. Hard to conceal though. For me anyways.

Dub

Let us know what you think. Iv'e been waiting for a local gun range/gun store to have one to rent. I want to shoot it, the P938 and the Glock 43 at the same range session to compare and decide which one to buy

Next time I get some time off to go to the range...I'm going to carry the P938 (it'll likely already be in my pocket holster :rofl: ) along with the G43.

It's been a long time since I did a side-by-side comparison shoot. The time I did it was with a rental P938 that only had the shorter flush-fit magazine and the standard wood grips.

I've never done a side-by-side comparison shoot with my own P938. I tend to use the extended mags and it has some more aggressive grips.

I can honestly say that I don't see how anyone could go wrong with a G43 as a pocket concealable 9mm. Straightforward Glock simplicity of use and takedown. The P938 is slightly more tedious on the takedown.....and off course there is the cocked & locked aspect that throws some folks off.

It took me a long time to every give a P938 a try. I finally did and it was an eye opener for me. I found that I really liked it way more than ever anticipated.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
Next time I get some time off to go to the range...I'm going to carry the P938 (it'll likely already be in my pocket holster :rofl: ) along with the G43.

It's been a long time since I did a side-by-side comparison shoot. The time I did it was with a rental P938 that only had the shorter flush-fit magazine and the standard wood grips.

I've never done a side-by-side comparison shoot with my own P938. I tend to use the extended mags and it has some more aggressive grips.

I can honestly say that I don't see how anyone could go wrong with a G43 as a pocket concealable 9mm. Straightforward Glock simplicity of use and takedown. The P938 is slightly more tedious on the takedown.....and off course there is the cocked & locked aspect that throws some folks off.

It took me a long time to every give a P938 a try. I finally did and it was an eye opener for me. I found that I really liked it way more than ever anticipated.

Yea, I'm pretty sure I would need the extended mag on the 938. from what I've been reading on comparisons between the two, I will more than likely end up going with the G43 especially when you factor in the cost difference.

SGADawg

I'm not familiar with the P938 but I really like my Glock 43. It is on the upper side of pocket carry though unless you wear deep pockets. It won't fit my jeans pockets.

Balrog

P938 is nice but it feels better with a grip extender unless you have small woman hands.

pbradley

I am struggling right now trying to find a gun for my wife.

A really good gun shop should have a huge selection of guns available for rent on the range, and a tailor and clothing shop onsite to help with making good conceal carry choices.

If I ever make that billion dollars, I am going to open that store.

Dub

A really good gun shop should have a huge selection of guns available for rent on the range, and a tailor and clothing shop onsite to help with making good conceal carry choices.

Bought mine a 640 Airweight with a pink grip and she loves it.

All about the look :rofl:

His'n'hers Airweights

Last edited:

pbradley

Bought mine a 640 Airweight with a pink grip and she loves it.

All about the look :rofl:

Mine has taken a fancy to the Kimber BelAir.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member

I bought mine the Taurus .38 Ultra Lite. She loves it. Didn't get the pink grips though. Probably should have. ??

Balrog

My wife has tried a bunch of different guns. At the end of the day, she is just more comfortable shooting a revolver than an auto. Her usual gun is a S&W J frame in 22 magnum... Speer Gold Dots in 22 magnum will reliably get 12-13 inches of penetration in ballistic gel, which exceeds the FBI minimum for penetration. Its not a perfect self defense load, but can get the job done and its what she shoots and enjoys the most.

rosewood

I bought mine the Taurus .38 Ultra Lite. She loves it. Didn't get the pink grips though. Probably should have. ??
You can order the grips. Might make a good stocking stuffer.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Whatever gun you decide to carry, I'd recommend participating in a few IDPA matches. Great way to get very familiar with your gun, drawing, shooting, reloading on the fly. Shooting from cover, target selection based on risk, etc. Gets the blood pumping. Can't say that's ever happened standing in a stall at the range shooting a paper target.

Lilly001

I`ll stay with my 38 revolver paired with my blade.
I think Nics got it right.
I never thought much of revolvers until they gave me a J frame when I retired. It is the sweetest shooting small gun I own. Utterly reliable and easy to conceal. I use a belly band under my left armpit under a t shirt.
I even made it into the state fair without the rentacops finding it with their wand.
And mine is stainless .357 so it packs a wallop. And with a good blade for backup who needs more?

Joe EC

I agree with the OP's #2 & #3, Reliability & shot placement matter the most. One is a function of the gun, the other is of you. Getting yourself ready for #3 (hundreds to thousands of rounds fired) will vet your gun for #2. If not, get another gun.

Mag. capacity, follow up shots, double taps, etc are all conventions for under performing calibers, IMHO. One, singular, well placed .45ACP shot ends the argument. And has for over 100 years.
I would also argue that any remaining dirt bag criminals will crap their pants and head for the hills on the report of a .45ACP.

Sorry to disagree but, SR1911 Lightweight Commander in .45ACP, Novak LoMount Carry sights, 2- 7 round mags of Low Recoil Federal HydroShocks, on the hip, everyday, even in the summer.
Ultra reliable, deadly accurate at all self defense distances out to at least 75' (my practice distance).

Carry a .32 or .380 over a 1911 in .45ACP? Below is a Quote from the FBI's report following the 1986 massacre in Miami.

"Kinetic energy does not wound. Temporary cavity does not wound. The much discussed “shock” of bullet impact is a fable and “knock down” power is a myth. The critical element is penetration. The bullet must pass through the large, blood bearing organs and be of sufficient diameter to promote rapid bleeding. Penetration less than 12 inches is too little, and, in the words of two of the participants in the 1987 Wound Ballistics Workshop, “too little penetration will get you killed.” Given desirable and reliable penetration, the only way to increase bullet effectiveness is to increase the severity of the wound by increasing the size of hole made by the bullet. Any bullet which will not penetrate through vital organs from less than optimal angles is not acceptable. Of those that will penetrate, the edge is always with the bigger bullet."

Last edited:

Dub

I agree with the OP's #2 & #3, Reliability & shot placement matter the most. One is a function of the gun, the other is of you. Getting yourself ready for #3 (hundreds to thousands of rounds fired) will vet your gun for #2. If not, get another gun.

Mag. capacity, follow up shots, double taps, etc are all conventions for under performing calibers, IMHO. One, singular, well placed .45ACP shot ends the argument. And has for over 100 years.
I would also argue that any remaining dirt bag criminals will crap their pants and head for the hills on the report of a .45ACP.

Sorry to disagree but, SR1911 Lightweight Commander in .45ACP, Novak LoMount Carry sights, 2- 7 round mags of Low Recoil Federal HydroShocks, on the hip, everyday, even in the summer.
Ultra reliably, deadly accurate at all self defense distances out to at least 75' (my practice distance).

Carry a .32 or .380 over a 1911 in .45ACP? Below is a Quote from the FBI's report following the 1986 massacre in Miami.

"Kinetic energy does not wound. Temporary cavity does not wound. The much discussed “shock” of bullet impact is a fable and “knock down” power is a myth. The critical element is penetration. The bullet must pass through the large, blood bearing organs and be of sufficient diameter to promote rapid bleeding. Penetration less than 12 inches is too little, and, in the words of two of the participants in the 1987 Wound Ballistics Workshop, “too little penetration will get you killed.” Given desirable and reliable penetration, the only way to increase bullet effectiveness is to increase the severity of the wound by increasing the size of hole made by the bullet. Any bullet which will not penetrate through vital organs from less than optimal angles is not acceptable. Of those that will penetrate, the edge is always with the bigger bullet."

I hear ya.

Big fan of .45acp 1911's here, too.

Used to be all I'd carry when carrying full sized.

I have great confidence in the 230gr Gold Dots.

My favor with 1911's is still strong......but I've really grown in confidence with the Gen4 G19.

They really fit my hand nicely with the large backstrpkap in place.

The thing disappears from thought in a good holster.

As much as I've always liked factory Glock sights...these Trijicon HD's are very much to my liking.

15 yds.

15 +1 initial, then two 17 rd speed reloads

Standing comfortablly

Cup of coffee at hand

Nobody shooting back, lol.

Rate of fire....trigger breaks as soon as front sight settles back on target.

This little G19 seems to be a natural pointer in hand and first shot accuracy is probably the best of any handgun I've ever had...when drawn, extended at target and fired.

It's uncanny.

I'll never let go the 1911's that I enjoy shooting, but I have grown to respect this little Glock a great deal.

It's been flawless in feeding on anything I've run through it. It handles the +P+ 115gr Federal 9BPLE rounds like creampuffs.

Very glad they added the large beavertail to this weapon. It's like it's custom fitted to my paw.

Everyone has opinions on Glocks. All I can say is that I've had nary a problem with any of them that I've used over the past 25 years. Never a misfeed. Never a misfire. Never a jam.

.40s&w, 9mm, .45acp and 10mm have been the one's I've owned, used & abused.