Vintage Lures

Big7

The Oracle
I fished a striper tournament over there in December. The big stripers are pretty much a thing of the past. A 20+ shows up once in a blue moon. The SCDNR is working hard to bring that fishery back with the slot and stockings. You can smash some numbers though. I'd never seen the lake before and we were averaging 50+ fish days. All between 2-9 lbs.

We stayed at Black's and had a super good time. Seriously thinking about heading back this December just to fun fish.
My 2 favorite times to go to Moultrie are the week before Memorial Day because the bite is super and there are no boats on the lake. To clarify my other post I was talking about the Striper fishery with the smaller fish and new limits. There are still PLENTY og giant Blues and Flatheads in there and they ain't hard to catch if you know the lake.

November is my second favorite only for the fact it gets real cold on a big lake like that but they bite good.

I drift with a sock and put out 6 rods with a Flounder rig and Bluebacks for Cats and the occasional Striper and jig with the heavy spoons while drifting.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
It WAS a Crème - it was this one! I remember it didn’t seem “round” in my fading memory.
I remember those, they were stiffer than the rind eel but may have come first.

Lukikus2

I remember the black ones with the white dots. Had one. They were flat on the bottom. The first color of the bait was crème and fisherman asked for different colors. That’s when a couple more companies jumped in and started replicating them.
The worm was way ahead of the Uncle Josh pork eel. But the Uncle Josh pork frogs before them. We never went fishing without them. #11 and 101’s. Digging in my bag found some more.
My Dad and me used to make our own lures. I’ll share what I have left later.

Pic is a 70’s “Bumble bee” hair jig. Other are 100% Alaskan bear home tied jigs. Of course adding a Hildrebrant spinner if needed was nice.
AB5796ED-909F-4DE9-B23F-108D6A4AEAD6.png

oldfella1962

Uncle Josh`s pork rinds. I remember those well. Used to use one a lot with a Johnson spoon.
You know it! I used them plenty when I was a kid in Wisconsin for northern pike, musky & bass. The lake I fished a lot was almost all weeds of various types, and nothing else could snake through them (or on top of them) so effectively.

Lukikus2

Y’all see that bag of bead’s. Lost them 40 years ago. For my wrist rocket. Night fishing gear. Lol