What did you do mountain related today part II

splatek

UAEC
Great pack and compresses down into nothing. For day hunts everything goes in the lid. View attachment 1303885

70 liters!?
Wow. That's a lot of pack. I tried the MR pop-ups, but just couldn't get them to do what I want so I am currently rocking a frankenstein that is made up of parts and buckles and bags from several different packs, but roughly approximates the look of the new Kifaru Maniml pack. Can pack in my stand/platform and sticks easily; have some outer essentials that won't get compressed; have a bigger bag for puffys, extra clothing and food; and a meat shelf, which has now hauled out a few whole gutted bucks of the hill. I gotta take them home whole sometimes because otherwise my three year old won't talk to me. He loves to help process the animals!

Professor

70 liters!?
Wow. That's a lot of pack. I tried the MR pop-ups, but just couldn't get them to do what I want so I am currently rocking a frankenstein that is made up of parts and buckles and bags from several different packs, but roughly approximates the look of the new Kifaru Maniml pack. Can pack in my stand/platform and sticks easily; have some outer essentials that won't get compressed; have a bigger bag for puffys, extra clothing and food; and a meat shelf, which has now hauled out a few whole gutted bucks of the hill. I gotta take them home whole sometimes because otherwise my three year old won't talk to me. He loves to help process the animals!
This is my 4th MR pack. Never really liked the pop ups. Mule, Cabinet, Selway, and now Metcalf. I sold the mule because the cabinet is basically a mule with two torpedo wings and does the same but with more space. I loved the Selway. With the lid I attached to it the Selway was big enough for three nights. But, my son loved it too and he is enjoying it in Arizona. So, I needed this one for multi-day trips. I still have my Frontier Gear of Alaska pack on the external frame. The only issue with it is that the frame catches on all the thick crap. The Metcalf has an internal frame and it rides lower.

Last edited:

splatek

UAEC
This is my 4th MR pack. Never really liked the pop ups. Mule, Cabinet, Selway, and now Metcalf. I sold the mule because the cabinet is basically a mule with two torpedo wings and dies the same but with more space. I loved the Selway. With the lid I attached to it the Selway was big enough for three nights. But, my son loved it too and he is enjoying it in Arizona. So, I needed this one for multi-day trips. I still have my Frontier Gear of Alaska pack on the external frame. The only issue with it is that the frame catches on all the thick crap. The Metcalf has an internal frame and it rides lower.

I see. I guess I missed the part that you were multi-day camp-hunting. I guess in that case 70 liters is necessary.

Professor

I see. I guess I missed the part that you were multi-day camp-hunting. I guess in that case 70 liters is necessary.

70 liters!?
Got any pics of your pack?

KentuckyHeadhunter

I’ll try to take some. Daddy daycare today
The pack company is a cheap brand called spika. Hate to not buy American but times are tough
Nothing wrong with Spika. Australian made. A lot of US made stuff is either junk or "assembled in America" with foreign materials. It's practically impossible to be a USA made company these days. They say Vietnam makes the best clothing and packs today because the very top textile mills and designers are all there. Also American workers have gotten lazy while, in other countries, there is not entitlement and corporate wokeness.

splatek

UAEC
Nothing wrong with Spika. Australian made. A lot of US made stuff is either junk or "assembled in America" with foreign materials. It's practically impossible to be a USA made company these days. They say Vietnam makes the best clothing and packs today because the very top textile mills and designers are all there. Also American workers have gotten lazy while, in other countries, there is not entitlement and corporate wokeness.

It gets the job done.
I really like kifaru, just can’t justify it right now with two little ones and one medium human.

KentuckyHeadhunter

Side note, anyone catch the auroras last weekend? We were camping at Amicalola Falls. Wife and I watched them for about an hour and a half. Quite mesmerizing.
Like most people I found out too late and missed it. Settle me this.... People were saying you could only see it through night mode on your phone. Could you see it with the naked eye? Didn't understand that.

chrislibby88

Like most people I found out too late and missed it. Settle me this.... People were saying you could only see it through night mode on your phone. Could you see it with the naked eye? Didn't understand that.
Yes. It wasn’t as vibrant as the photos to the naked eye. The phones slow exposure certainly enhanced the colors. So we didn’t know it was going on either, my wife and I just happened to be snuggled up on the hammock by the fire (it had burned down to coals), star gazing and noticed what looked like spot light beams slowly fading in and out, splitting into multiples, etc. thought it might be the auroras, although they shouldn’t be visible here. We looked it up, sure enough: solar storm. Between 10:45 and 11:30 there was a clearly visible pink/red glow to the southeast, and I noticed a brief pale blue patch, not vibrant but detectable with the naked eye, appear for a few minutes directly overhead. We had very low light pollution in the campground and surrounding area though.

Couple caveats, our eyes were fully adjusted to the night for hours, and we both have good vision, no glasses or contacts. I imagine folks walking straight from artificial indoor light to outside would have more difficulty seeing it until their eyes adjusted, and local light pollution would definitely overpower and wash it out.