What type weed is this?

mmcneil

I’ve been trying to get some grass to grow on a hill side. I haven’t been trying real hard but I have put some seed out. But this stuff is starting to take over. Is there a chemical that would kill it and not the rye, fescue and Bermuda grass that’s around it? IMG_3854.jpegIMG_3855.jpeg

Lilly001

I think any broadleaf herbicide should work.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Sprayed for it yesterday

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Hop clover, looks like. Anything with 2, 4-d should get it, as has been mentioned. Trimec would be even better.

bighonkinjeep

The most common name is "Spurge".
Usually takes multiple applications to kill it.
Next year hit the area with a pre emergent in the spring. A lot easier to prevent it than to kill it once it gets established.
Looks like at this point it may be better just to hit that patch with glyphosate, kill everything in that small area, wait a couple of weeks and then replant with the warm weather seed of your choice.

Last edited:

menhadenman

Hop clover, looks like. Anything with 2, 4-d should get it, as has been mentioned. Trimec would be even better.
Hey @NCHillbilly how do you mix your Trimec for a backpack sprayer?

I used some on a hillside a week ago at 6 oz/gallon and it seemed to work out ok.

Asking if I’d be causing trouble going to 8 oz/gallon. I’ve heard more can be less with some products. Sounds like you’ve got plenty of time with this stuff.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Hey @NCHillbilly how do you mix your Trimec for a backpack sprayer?

I used some on a hillside a week ago at 6 oz/gallon and it seemed to work out ok.

Asking if I’d be causing trouble going to 8 oz/gallon. I’ve heard more can be less with some products. Sounds like you’ve got plenty of time with this stuff.
I don't think you need anywhere near that. 4 oz per gallon should be a gracious plenty. Mix it too stout, and you might kill or injure the grass, too.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, gonna hit some this afternoon (y)
I fixin' to go mix up some Crossbow and hit some poison ivy, pokeweed, walnut sprouts, and multiflora rose around the place.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I don't think you need anywhere near that. 4 oz per gallon should be a gracious plenty. Mix it too stout, and you might kill or injure the grass, too.
This^^ if you’re using a roundup/kill all, I’ll always go strong end of mixture (bug stuff too). But for selective stuff, I’ll go per label and definitely use a spreader sticker with any herbicide.

bighonkinjeep

When mixing herbacides and pesticides its best to stick with label instructions. The manufacturers have already done the experimentation and testing on these products. Plants and bugs can only absorb and process a certain amount of product. The rest is just waste and typically doesnt kill any deader or more quickly because the plants and bugs cant absorb more than labeled dose anyway. Save the excess you were thinking about mixing for another dose at a later time if necessary. Much more effective that way. There are several plants like ivys etc that are most likely going to take repeated doses at any stregnth.

SarahFair

Does this get little yellow flowers?
I have this in a pretty strong patch where the city had to dig a pipe in the front yard, then went back with straw and "grass seed".