Why does God allow Evil?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
there are many mistranslation in the bible (from hebrew and aramaic to english).the problem is the original text used over 12,000 words . our english versions use only about 6,000. for example the word "eshtar" was mistranslated as "easter"(actually a pagan holiday).

this does not invalidate our present day versions one bit .remember we are told to "study" to find aproval.if a scripture seems wrong, out of harmony with the core beliefs it simply means "you " need to investigate its true intent.

personally i enjoy nonbelievers attempts to discredit scripture.....it makes me a better student and disciple.no offence bullethead but we were warned in corinthians that the "deeper things of God" could only be understood by true believers guided soley by the Spirit". in other words some will see it,just aint gunna make hay about it, and some will make it thier job to discredit it.even we believers have different ideas about scripture.... but in the end Gods word is right and we're basically all still babes bein fed milk(stoopid)

So God used over 12,000 words in his original version to convey his message to the world. English versions cut his words down to 6,000 with one word sometimes used in place of a dozen different words and people are to believe these versions are the genuine words of God? No wonder there is such a wide range of discrepancy among believers and such opposition by the non-believers.

hobbs27

So God used over 12,000 words in his original version to convey his message to the world. English versions cut his words down to 6,000 with one word sometimes used in place of a dozen different words and people are to believe these versions are the genuine words of God? No wonder there is such a wide range of discrepancy among believers and such opposition by the non-believers.

God provided us with an interpreter.Each one of us live a different life with different opputunities, and problems.The same text may mean different things for different people at different times in their lives.Thats usually God working in our lives and shaping us and putting us where He needs us that we may share Him with others.
God could write the Gospels in the sky for all to see, but He allows us the JOY of sharing it.Theres few things greater than to have God use you to introduce Him to someone that doesn't know Him, not that it makes you great, but that He can be seen through you.
The Gospel and it's message can and has been spread without any written text at all.

piratebob64

Banned

tHIS IS ONE OF THE BIGGEST MISTAKES I HAVE SEEN WHEN DISCUSSING THE BIBLE.
"GOD" did not use 12000 words Man did and man reduced that number of words down to appox 6000, God did not write one word, verse or chapter of the bible, the only thing ever mentioned that "GOD" wrote was the 10 comandments.
The bible was written by "men" approx 500 years after Jesus death. It is compiled of stories and his teachings and quotes.
There was lost of interpatation from the spoken to the written. but all in all it is what is a beutiful guide for those who want learn about God and become as close to God as one can.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
God provided us with an interpreter.Each one of us live a different life with different opputunities, and problems.The same text may mean different things for different people at different times in their lives.Thats usually God working in our lives and shaping us and putting us where He needs us that we may share Him with others.
God could write the Gospels in the sky for all to see, but He allows us the JOY of sharing it.Theres few things greater than to have God use you to introduce Him to someone that doesn't know Him, not that it makes you great, but that He can be seen through you.
The Gospel and it's message can and has been spread without any written text at all.

I understand that is how you rationalize it to yourself in order that it makes sense to you. I am looking for answers that make sense to me.
Thanks for your time though.

piratebob64

Banned
"GOD" did not use 12000 words Man did and man reduced that number of words down to appox 6000, God did not write one word, verse or chapter of the bible, the only thing ever mentioned that "GOD" wrote was the 10 comandments.
The bible was written by "men" approx 500 years after Jesus death. It is compiled of stories and his teachings and quotes.
There was lost of interpatation from the spoken to the written. but all in all it is what is a beutiful guide for those who want learn about God and become as close to God as one can.

God got his point across with 10 simple sentences, why would he want to write a book! Right

gordon 2

12000, 6000....the bible has whole books of poetry of with one sentence alone being 12000 words spoken in the Spirit. If ya'll want to shout about something, the Spirit does not count with eyes alone--The eyes see DARKLY!:)

Oh, and the chronology of when things got written and transcribed is not what I have learned--but my learning always trys to shapen itself...for my confussions and misunderstandings.

Last edited:

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
So how do they differentiate the word when it actually says "evil" in that version of the Bible? Maybe it means calamity then too??

"rah" in the KJV Bible occurs 663 times. 431 times it is translated as "evil." The other 232 times it is translated as "wicked," "bad," "hurt," "harm," "ill," "sorrow," "mischief," "displeased," "adversity," "affliction," "trouble," "calamity," "grievous," and"misery.

Which is the "right" Bible? Which is the "right" translation? Are all the other words that are used for "rah" exact for the verse and just in the one I provided wrong?

[1] create evil

Heb. "ra" translated "sorrow," "wretchedness," "adversity," "afflictions," "calamities," but never translated sin. God created evil only in the sense that He made sorrow, wretchedness, etc., to be the sure fruits of sin.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
The word for God should mean God, it is clear and understandable.

The word for evil should mean evil, not one of a dozen translations, in one of dozens of Bible versions, that can be substituted as the printer sees fit.

People argue that the KJV was the only reliable translation in the English language, because it was translated by the godliest of translators from the best Greek manuscripts.

In mine and your way of thinking, you're absolutely correct. "Evil" should mean the same thing today in all sentences, and all speaches. But biblically, it does not.

In the Hebrew, there are at least 4 different meanings for the word "love".
In the Hebrew, the word "fear" does not mean what you and I believe it means. At least, not every time.

Ultimately, everyone will believe what they chose.

One of the clues in Isaiah 45:7 is in the message that was being conveyed.

From Strong's Concordance:(as used in this verse)
ra': adversity
Original Word: רָע
Part of Speech: Adjective; noun masculine; noun feminine
Transliteration: ra'
Phonetic Spelling: (rah)
Short Definition: adversity

1 bad, disagreeable, malignant: of a woman, רָעָה בְּעֵינֵי Exodus 21:8 (E; perhaps, with changed accent, verb 3feminine singular רָ֫עָה) disagreeable, unpleasing in the eyes of, plural Genesis 28:8 (P); of poisonous herb 2 Kings 4:41, malignant boils Deuteronomy 28:35; Job 2:7, diseases Deuteronomy 7:15; Deuteronomy 28:59; 2Chronicles 21:19; Ecclesiastes 6:2, deadly sword Psalm 144:10, arrows Ezekiel 5:16, severe judgments Ezekiel 14:21, wonders Deuteronomy 6:22; מַלְ×�Ö²×›Öµ×™ רָעִי×� Psalm 78:49 = fierce messengers (of God; Ew§ 287 a Ges§ 130e), wild beasts Genesis 37:20,33 (JE) Leviticus 26:6 (H) Ezekiel 5:17; Ezekiel 14:15,21; Ezekiel 34:25; unclean thing Deuteronomy 23:10.

gemcgrew

I. רַע226 adjective bad, evil (distinction from noun, and verb Perfect 3masculine singular, is sometimes not easy, and opinions differ); — masculine singular רַע Genesis 6:5 +; רָ֑ע Genesis 31:24 +; plural רָעַי×� Genesis 13:13 +; construct רָעֵי Ezekiel 7:24 (strike out Co); feminine singular רָעָה Genesis 37:2 37t. (this form usually noun), plural רָעוֺת Genesis 28:8 14t.; רָעֹת Genesis 41:27 (18 t. noun); —

1 evil, distress, adversity: יָרֵ� רַע fear evil Psalm 23:4; Zephaniah 3:15; בּוֺרֵ� רָ֑ע Isaiah 45:7 (of God), הבי� רע Isaiah 31:2; מת�נני� רַע Numbers 11:1 (J) murmuring respecting distress (see Di); �� טוב ו�� רע Jeremiah 42:6 whether prosperity or adversity; יוֺ� רע Amos 6:3 day of calamity; יְמֵי רע Psalm 49:6; Psalm 94:13; כי טוב קויתי ויב� רע Job 30:26; בְּרָע in adversity Exodus 5:19 (E) Psalm 10:6; יִמֹּל בְּרָ֑ע Proverbs 13:17; �ֶרְ�ֶה בָרָ֑ע Genesis 44:34 (J); בכלרֿע Proverbs 5:14, מכל רע Genesis 48:16 (E) Psalm 121:7; see also Micah 1:12; Psalm 140:12; Job 5:19; Job 31:29 Proverbs 12:21; Proverbs 19:23.

stringmusic

Bullet, did you not read the rest of that link posted by Striper Addict in the other thread? The verse is not even talking about moral evil.

Why do you find it hard to believe that by translating an ancient language into modern day english there might be some words that don't translate perfectly and their also might be some variations?

gemcgrew

"I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me:
That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the LORD, and there is none else.
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
Drop down, ye heavens, from above, and let the skies pour down righteousness: let the earth open, and let them bring forth salvation, and let righteousness spring up together; I the LORD have created it.
Woe unto him that striveth with his Maker! Let the potsherd strive with the potsherds of the earth. Shall the clay say to him that fashioneth it, What makest thou? or thy work, He hath no hands?
Woe unto him that saith unto his father, What begettest thou? or to the woman, What hast thou brought forth?" (Isaiah 45:5-10)

These verses do not justify God. They rebuke us for questioning or objecting in the first place.

centerpin fan

Woe unto him that striveth with his Maker! Let the potsherd strive with the potsherds of the earth. Shall the clay say to him that fashioneth it, What makest thou? or thy work, He hath no hands?
Woe unto him that saith unto his father, What begettest thou? or to the woman, What hast thou brought forth?" (Isaiah 45:5-10)

Seen Prometheus yet?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Bullet, did you not read the rest of that link posted by Striper Addict in the other thread? The verse is not even talking about moral evil.

Why do you find it hard to believe that by translating an ancient language into modern day english there might be some words that don't translate perfectly and their also might be some variations?

I did read it. I also read about a dozen different Bible versions that have it translated differently. Which one of those is right?

I find it so hard to believe because once one word is changed or used out of it's original language to something"close to it" the original differs from the next version. The subsequent versions should be labeled as variations of God's word or translations as close as we could possibly get it.

gemcgrew

Adam went on his own to eat the forbidden, getting his needs met of his own way, his own choice. Missing the mark is all about loosing one's dependence on the Giver of life. So begins evil. So begins the story

Adam went on his own? From what? Freedom from God?

Artfuldodger

Adam went on his own? From what? Freedom from God?

Adam was influenced to do evil by Eve. Eve was influenced to do evil by Satan. All three evil doers had a choice not to listen to the preceding or in Satan's choice himself.
This scenario proves that there has to be an opposite to good being evil. To love God there has to be a way to hate God, etc.
This is the basis for the whole free will concept. God can't make you love him if you don't have the ability to hate him. God can't make you not sin if you don't have the choice to sin. God can't make you believe in Jesus if you don't have the choice to not believe in Jesus.
This is what I believe but if you want me to find something on the internet to disprove it give me about 10 minutes.

gemcgrew

Adam was influenced to do evil by Eve. Eve was influenced to do evil by Satan. All three evil doers had a choice not to listen to the preceding or in Satan's choice himself.
This scenario proves that there has to be an opposite to good being evil. To love God there has to be a way to hate God, etc.
This is the basis for the whole free will concept. God can't make you love him if you don't have the ability to hate him. God can't make you not sin if you don't have the choice to sin. God can't make you believe in Jesus if you don't have the choice to not believe in Jesus.
This is what I believe but if you want me to find something on the internet to disprove it give me about 10 minutes.

Your scenario proves nothing because the scenario is flawed. "In the beginning God" is the better scenario. We know that sin came through Adam's disobedience but that is not what we are discussing. What caused this disobedience? If you establish that "In the beginning God" is true, there is no other scenario than God caused the fall according to his divine will and purpose.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
No one can speak for God so everything mentioned so far is opinion.
My personal opinion is that because mankind cannot explain why evil is rampant along side a God that wants us to combat evil every second of every day we must make excuses to try to comprehend it. There just is no sensible explanation for it which tells me it does not make sense to assign it to a God that we are taught can do anything and is responsible for everything...ESPECIALLY battling the forces of evil....to allow evil to exist in the first place. Evil is one of those catch 22 situations where we know it exists despite believing in a God that should not only not allow it to exist, but if the existence of God is true, must also have created evil and/or the instruments(satan) to create and carry out evil.
If there is a God he either wants evil to exist and refuses to stop evil.... Cannot do anything to stop evil.....or everything we have been taught about the existence of a God and his wishes are false.
OR
No God

Last edited:

gemcgrew

My personal opinion is that because mankind cannot explain why evil is rampant along side a God that wants us to combat evil every second of every day we must make excuses to try to comprehend it.
Evil is rampant because God is using it in his creation for his purpose. He does not want me to combat it every second of every day. There, I explained it.
There just is no sensible explanation for it which tells me it does not make sense to assign it to a God that we are taught can do anything and is responsible for everything...ESPECIALLY battling the forces of evil....to allow evil to exist in the first place.
I agree.
Evil is one of those catch 22 situations where we know it exists despite believing in a God that should not only not allow it to exist, but if the existence of God is true, must also have created evil and/or the instruments(satan) to create and carry out evil.
I do not have a problem in saying God created, allowed or caused evil. He is the sovereign Ruler of his creation.
If there is a God he either wants evil to exist
This