Y’all watch your step

Hillbilly stalker

Rolled up on ol Jake when I was slipping in for a deer hunt. He was laid up in a grove of hickories, he done caught him a squirrel. Them snakes know to wait at the bottom of them trees for the squirrel to come down. It’s awful easy for a squirrel hunter to get busy looking up and forget about where he’s stepping. This one was grown…he would leave a whelp if he struck you.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Dang, glad you spotted it. That one is full grown.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Rolled up on ol Jake when I was slipping in for a deer hunt. He was laid up in a grove of hickories, he done caught him a squirrel. Them snakes know to wait at the bottom of them trees for the squirrel to come down. It’s awful easy for a squirrel hunter to get busy looking up and forget about where he’s stepping. This one was grown…he would leave a whelp if he struck you.

He mad!

RedFoxx

i cant believe you all do not kill every one of them you see.. i live on a farm and have dogs all over it...if i was to let one go and it killed my dog i would not be able to live with myself... we usually get one or two a year.. killed one this year in my garden about 75 yards out my back door...and my dogs were on him thats how i saw it and it was all i could do to get them away from it while i killed it...

Hillbilly stalker

i cant believe you all do not kill every one of them you see.. i live on a farm and have dogs all over it...if i was to let one go and it killed my dog i would not be able to live with myself... we usually get one or two a year.. killed one this year in my garden about 75 yards out my back door...and my dogs were on him thats how i saw it and it was all i could do to get them away from it while i killed it...
Oh I sent him to the light. I hunt dogs where he was.IMG_1508.jpeg

RedFoxx

not sure i have ever seen a timber rattler in real life...always diamondbacks. i have a nephew that skins them and eats them and dries the skin out..i kill them and put in freezer for him!..
A story about rattlesnakes...i had a cousin who was older than me that said he wanted me to go rattlesnake hunting with him...that he knew how to catch em and what to do all he wanted was me to just go along with him...this was back in the 70's and you could sell them at the rattle snake roundup in fitzgerald...so here i go thinking i was tagging along and sure enough...we spot one about 5 feet long and as thick and fat as he could be..laying outside a gopher hole.. my cousin cut a forked stick off a tree and pinned his head down and i thought he was gonna pick it up but he said...you got to get him i cant hold him and pick him up...it was one of those thick giant diamondbacks.. you know the type we have all seen them...well...i had never ever touched a snake much less picked one up so i eased up behind it and touched it and jumped back...had never felt anything like that before...and he said you got to grab him he is about to get loose...so i reached down and put a hold on him right behind his head and my cousin let go of the stick so i had him.. he started twisting and turning and just doing everything possible to get loose and i was hanging on.. i finally got my 2nd hand on him and kind of thought i had him...was so scared i couldnt let go if i wanted to..my heart was pounding out of my shirt...you could see my shirt moving it was beating so hard...so we started to make our way to the truck and my cousin said...there is another one right there and he grabbed the stick and pinned its head down...it was only about 3 foot long...small one compared to the other one...and the big one wasnt moving a lot..so ...i grabbed the small one in my left hand...had the giant one in my right hand and we headed to the truck...dumb butt us...should say dumbutt me...we was in a little pickup with a camper on top and somehow i crawled up in the camper with the snakes in each hand and he shut the back and tail gate so there i was laying practically on my back with a diamond back in each hand and we had to drive across the field...down a dirt road and into his yard...where we had pens waiting...this was the bumpiest longest ride of my life i can assure you...but we got there and he opened up the doors of the pen and somehow i got them in....well...both snakes just lay there belly up like they were dead..and then i was mad...i had choked them to death holding on so tight and now we were not gonna be able to sell them at the roundup...and my heart was just pounding out of my shirt...took it several minutes to calm down and the entire time i was praying..lord...just get me out of this one and i will never pick up a rattle snake again...and about 5 minutes later the big snake just inhaled a huge breath and blew himself up like a balloon almost and then he turned over and was ok...a minute later the smaller one did the same thing... and to this day i have kept that promise to the good lord!!
tg

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
not sure i have ever seen a timber rattler in real life...always diamondbacks. i have a nephew that skins them and eats them and dries the skin out..i kill them and put in freezer for him!..
A story about rattlesnakes...i had a cousin who was older than me that said he wanted me to go rattlesnake hunting with him...that he knew how to catch em and what to do all he wanted was me to just go along with him...this was back in the 70's and you could sell them at the rattle snake roundup in fitzgerald...so here i go thinking i was tagging along and sure enough...we spot one about 5 feet long and as thick and fat as he could be..laying outside a gopher hole.. my cousin cut a forked stick off a tree and pinned his head down and i thought he was gonna pick it up but he said...you got to get him i cant hold him and pick him up...it was one of those thick giant diamondbacks.. you know the type we have all seen them...well...i had never ever touched a snake much less picked one up so i eased up behind it and touched it and jumped back...had never felt anything like that before...and he said you got to grab him he is about to get loose...so i reached down and put a hold on him right behind his head and my cousin let go of the stick so i had him.. he started twisting and turning and just doing everything possible to get loose and i was hanging on.. i finally got my 2nd hand on him and kind of thought i had him...was so scared i couldnt let go if i wanted to..my heart was pounding out of my shirt...you could see my shirt moving it was beating so hard...so we started to make our way to the truck and my cousin said...there is another one right there and he grabbed the stick and pinned its head down...it was only about 3 foot long...small one compared to the other one...and the big one wasnt moving a lot..so ...i grabbed the small one in my left hand...had the giant one in my right hand and we headed to the truck...dumb butt us...should say dumbutt me...we was in a little pickup with a camper on top and somehow i crawled up in the camper with the snakes in each hand and he shut the back and tail gate so there i was laying practically on my back with a diamond back in each hand and we had to drive across the field...down a dirt road and into his yard...where we had pens waiting...this was the bumpiest longest ride of my life i can assure you...but we got there and he opened up the doors of the pen and somehow i got them in....well...both snakes just lay there belly up like they were dead..and then i was mad...i had choked them to death holding on so tight and now we were not gonna be able to sell them at the roundup...and my heart was just pounding out of my shirt...took it several minutes to calm down and the entire time i was praying..lord...just get me out of this one and i will never pick up a rattle snake again...and about 5 minutes later the big snake just inhaled a huge breath and blew himself up like a balloon almost and then he turned over and was ok...a minute later the smaller one did the same thing... and to this day i have kept that promise to the good lord!!
tg

Good times!

RedFoxx

That’s a ruff way to make a living. :biggrin2: You better stay prayed up good fooling with them things like that.
that was a once in a lifetime experience i can assure you i have shot every one that i have seen since!! Actually killed a few with a stick... i have so many stories about things like that its unreal.. bobcat came in truck on me once.. i need to sit down and write some of them down sometimes

Hillbilly stalker

I ain’t never shot a snake. I brain them with a lighter knot. Put your stories on here, they will be appreciated. I watched a momma bobcat and 2 kits yesterday. I called them into about 40 yards but she caught my wind. They’re hard to see, but you see one to the right of the big tree. Squawked in a big fox squirrel too, musta said something bout his momma :rofl:, he was fixen to come off the top rope on me. Got him to about 3 feet

3https://youtu.be/f0LFcNGCkkU?si=

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Back in the day, and that particular day I didn`t have any of my snake catching equipment in the truck. I caught a 24 inch coral snake and the only thing I had to put it in was a brown paper sack. I dropped in the sack, twisted the top shut tight, put it on the bench seat beside me, and went on down the dirt road. I was just easing along looking for turkeys when I glanced at the sack. The top had come open and I saw the snake come out of the top and drop down on the seat a few inches from my thigh. I bumped it up into neutral, opened the door, and jumped out. Old truck went over into the ditch and came to a stop. I looked in the window, no snake to be seen.

I opened the door carefully and looked everywhere. Finally saw it up under the seat and it weren`t happy. It took some considerable hijinks to finally get that varmint out and back in the sack, and when I did I held it closed till I got home with it. Both of us were kinda frazzled but all ended up to the good.

Hillbilly stalker

Back in the day, and that particular day I didn`t have any of my snake catching equipment in the truck. I caught a 24 inch coral snake and the only thing I had to put it in was a brown paper sack. I dropped in the sack, twisted the top shut tight, put it on the bench seat beside me, and went on down the dirt road. I was just easing along looking for turkeys when I glanced at the sack. The top had come open and I saw the snake come out of the top and drop down on the seat a few inches from my thigh. I bumped it up into neutral, opened the door, and jumped out. Old truck went over into the ditch and came to a stop. I looked in the window, no snake to be seen.

I opened the door carefully and looked everywhere. Finally saw it up under the seat and it weren`t happy. It took some considerable hijinks to finally get that varmint out and back in the sack, and when I did I held it closed till I got home with it. Both of us were kinda frazzled but all ended up to the good.
Do me a favor Nic, if’n you ever see me broke down on the side of the road with my thumb out……don’t even let off the gas, just wave :rockon: , I ain’t fixen to ride shotgun with you pulling stunts like that, I’ll just walk.:rofl:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I do at least all the venomous ones I see
No mercy. My kids, dogs and parents are worth more to me than a snake. Plenty of property near us that they’ll never be bothered on they can move there if they won’t want to be kilt

killerv

You'll know it when they strike you. I've been struck once turkey hunting. Thank goodness for snake boots. Half mile from truck, by myself, 45 minutes from nearest hospital. Got me on top of foot, chaps wouldn't have helped at all.

My experience with timbers though is that you pretty much have to step on them. They'll hold tight. Son stood on top of one the other day while taking a leak, then he saw it. Snake never struck, just coiled up and sat. It had no rattles. Then ran across another one about 100 yards away.

QaMxQWv.jpg

RedFoxx

I do at least all the venomous ones I see
No mercy. My kids, dogs and parents are worth more to me than a snake. Plenty of property near us that they’ll never be bothered on they can move there if they won’t want to be kilt
i didnt know until the other day but it is against the law to kill a non venomous snake in Georgia.. another govt law that we do not need more of

Toliver

i didnt know until the other day but it is against the law to kill a non venomous snake in Georgia.. another govt law that we do not need more of
It's not just snakes. It's all non-game animals with the few listed exceptions. This has been the case for decades.

Hillbilly stalker