Y’all watch your step

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
man...that is one pretty snake...all the rattlers are beautiful to me!! but i still kill em.. lol
I didn't kill that one. I don't kill snakes unless I have to.

furtaker

That gentleman you quoted has a whole heap of experience with snakes. Especially all the kinds we have here in Southwest Georgia.
I sure miss Germag on here. That man was a true wealth of knowledge about snakes. He could see a picture of one's tail from 50 feet away and tell you what kind it was. And he was always right about it.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I seen a small timber rattler today in the hwy trying to get a little sun . I dodged it and let it be a snake . The last diamondback I killed about 15 years ago tried its hardest to get away from me , I swore that day I’d never kill another . I mean look how beautiful , and all they really want is a rat or a rabbit . I messed with this one for 10 minutes and never could even get it to coil up . IMG_4079.jpeg

Gaswamp

I sure miss Germag on here. That man was a true wealth of knowledge about snakes. He could see a picture of one's tail from 50 feet away and tell you what kind it was. And he was always right about it.
made me realize he's bin gone over 10 years

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member

He was one of the best. We met at some snake roundups back in the mid 1970s, and met again here when we both joined up. He knew his snakes, very well.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
He was just an all-around great guy, too.

outdoorman

not sure i have ever seen a timber rattler in real life...always diamondbacks. i have a nephew that skins them and eats them and dries the skin out..i kill them and put in freezer for him!..
A story about rattlesnakes...i had a cousin who was older than me that said he wanted me to go rattlesnake hunting with him...that he knew how to catch em and what to do all he wanted was me to just go along with him...this was back in the 70's and you could sell them at the rattle snake roundup in fitzgerald...so here i go thinking i was tagging along and sure enough...we spot one about 5 feet long and as thick and fat as he could be..laying outside a gopher hole.. my cousin cut a forked stick off a tree and pinned his head down and i thought he was gonna pick it up but he said...you got to get him i cant hold him and pick him up...it was one of those thick giant diamondbacks.. you know the type we have all seen them...well...i had never ever touched a snake much less picked one up so i eased up behind it and touched it and jumped back...had never felt anything like that before...and he said you got to grab him he is about to get loose...so i reached down and put a hold on him right behind his head and my cousin let go of the stick so i had him.. he started twisting and turning and just doing everything possible to get loose and i was hanging on.. i finally got my 2nd hand on him and kind of thought i had him...was so scared i couldnt let go if i wanted to..my heart was pounding out of my shirt...you could see my shirt moving it was beating so hard...so we started to make our way to the truck and my cousin said...there is another one right there and he grabbed the stick and pinned its head down...it was only about 3 foot long...small one compared to the other one...and the big one wasnt moving a lot..so ...i grabbed the small one in my left hand...had the giant one in my right hand and we headed to the truck...dumb butt us...should say dumbutt me...we was in a little pickup with a camper on top and somehow i crawled up in the camper with the snakes in each hand and he shut the back and tail gate so there i was laying practically on my back with a diamond back in each hand and we had to drive across the field...down a dirt road and into his yard...where we had pens waiting...this was the bumpiest longest ride of my life i can assure you...but we got there and he opened up the doors of the pen and somehow i got them in....well...both snakes just lay there belly up like they were dead..and then i was mad...i had choked them to death holding on so tight and now we were not gonna be able to sell them at the roundup...and my heart was just pounding out of my shirt...took it several minutes to calm down and the entire time i was praying..lord...just get me out of this one and i will never pick up a rattle snake again...and about 5 minutes later the big snake just inhaled a huge breath and blew himself up like a balloon almost and then he turned over and was ok...a minute later the smaller one did the same thing... and to this day i have kept that promise to the good lord!!
tg
Now that's the kind of story you pass down to your grandkids!