Y’all watch your step

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Any of y'all live in Coweta Co? I been here for 20 yrs and rambled a lot of woods here. Never seen a venomous snake in this county. Friend of mine grew up here and tells me there aren't rattlesnakes here, or he's never seen 1. I grew up south of here and saw plenty of timber rattlers growing up. But never 1 here.

Resica

there is no NEED at all.. i kill em cause i want to..i live on a farm and have had things get bitten so i dont take any chances with them anymore and never will...and if i see one going down the road i do my best to kill them too...
I'm just the opposite. It's against the law here too. You can kill a male Timber here if you have a fishing license and only the month of June or July, not sure. Has to be over 40 inches and on;y 1 allowed!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I'm just the opposite. It's against the law here too. You can kill a male Timber here if you have a fishing license and only the month of June or July, not sure. Has to be over 40 inches and on;y 1 allowed!

Our eastern diamondback is probably going to be put on the federal endangered species list soon, like the Indigo snake is now. I don't see near the diamondbacks nowadays that I used to see.

Resica

Sorry to hear that. I've learned to like snakes. I understand if they in your yard and a danger but otherwise I just like seeing them.
I kinda feel the same way about other critters that maybe when I was younger I didn't. Used to shoot songbirds, never do it again, love them. Others as well, Opossums, Porcupines, etc. I'm not the killer I once was and am glad about that.

Baroque Brass

As a kid with a BB gun, I killed all kinds of birds. I’d never do that now, I keep the feeder full of sunflower seeds to attract birds and we have lots of them. I do think my “hunting” with a BB gun as a kid taught me to move slowly and quietly and be able to sneak up on a critter.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Our eastern diamondback is probably going to be put on the federal endangered species list soon, like the Indigo snake is now. I don't see near the diamondbacks nowadays that I used to see.
Eastern diamondbacks and coral snakes are already declared endangered in NC, and timbers are protected so that it's technically illegal to kill them.

Resica

I kinda feel the same way about other critters that maybe when I was younger I didn't. Used to shoot songbirds, never do it again, love them. Others as well, Opossums, Porcupines, etc. I'm not the killer I once was and am glad about that.
Me either!

Baroque Brass

Do you think that’s because of loss of habitat or them being killed? I’m not a fan of such things as rattlesnake roundups.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Them other critters won’t put you on the next episode of “Venom E.R” either. Just saying :huh:
I honestly worry about 1000x more about getting mashed by a falling tree or limb, struck by lightning, drowned, or killed in a wreck heading to my hunting or fishing spot than I do about getting snakebit. That's probably the lowest odds harmful thing out there, especially if you use a little common sense. In over a half-century of prowling the woods in venomous snake habitat, I've never had an issue, nor encountered an aggressive snake that tried to bite me if I didn't mess with it first.

Gaswamp

I haven't seen one in quite a few years now.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I honestly worry about 1000x more about getting mashed by a falling tree or limb, struck by lightning, drowned, or killed in a wreck heading to my hunting or fishing spot than I do about getting snakebit. That's probably the lowest odds harmful thing out there, especially if you use a little common sense. In over a half-century of prowling the woods in venomous snake habitat, I've never had an issue, nor encountered an aggressive snake that tried to bite me if I didn't mess with it first.

Ya`ll ain`t got but two kinds to deal with up in them mountains. Come down here where we have six. ::ke:

I`m not worried about them none at all, but I do take precautions.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I haven't seen one in quite a few years now.

We still have a few around the house here, but there`s a gracious plenty around the cabin in Seminole County. I`ve never seen a canebrake around there.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Ya`ll ain`t got but two kinds to deal with up in them mountains. Come down here where we have six. ::ke:

I`m not worried about them none at all, but I do take precautions.
I've hunted down there in south GA, too, with the canebrakes, diamondbacks, moccasins, and such. Not nearly as much as you by any means, but I've spent many hours crawling through palmetto thickets in the dark blood-trailing hogs and such. I worried a whole lot more about the wounded hog than the snakes. I guess that's just me. I might get bit one day.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I've hunted down there in south GA, too. Not nearly as much as you by any means, but I've spent many hours crawling through palmetto thickets in the dark blood-trailing hogs and such. I worried a whole lot more about the wounded hog than the snakes. I guess that's just me. I might get bit one day.

Maybe not. Remember though, Crofab averages around $20,000 per vial. I know of one man in Tallahassee that had to have 70 vials to save his life. That gets expensive real fast.

Hillbilly stalker

That might be the deal where you live….but it ain’t like that around here. They are thick. It takes a fool to walk around in the woods here ,before it gets real cold, and not wear snake boots. I’m not exactly a greenhorn myself. I been in the woods my whole life. I’m in the woods more than most 2 or 3 men put together. I see, hear, smell and recognize a lot a things most people walk on by. I’ve never been close to getting hit by a falling limb or tree, but I’ve nearly gotten too close or struck at several times. So that’s a real danger. Add the fact that I hunt squirrel dogs and coon dogs and they have to wade thru them too. I’m not scared of snakes in any way, I have a very healthy respect for them. But I promise you if one strikes me tomorrow, it won’t be one that I gave a pass to last week. It’s just part of the game here. Boots are cheap, helicopters rides and anti venom are outrageous. We have a gold mine in our county, they are always blasting, running big earth movers, drilling and what not. Some folks believe that keeps them stirred up around here.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
That might be the deal where you live….but it ain’t like that around here. They are thick. It takes a fool to walk around in the woods here ,before it gets real cold, and not wear snake boots. I’m not exactly a greenhorn myself. I been in the woods my whole life. I’m in the woods more than most 2 or 3 men put together. I see, hear, smell and recognize a lot a things most people walk on by. I’ve never been close to getting hit by a falling limb or tree, but I’ve nearly gotten too close or struck at several times. So that’s a real danger. Add the fact that I hunt squirrel dogs and coon dogs and they have to wade thru them too. I’m not scared of snakes in any way, I have a very healthy respect for them. But I promise you if one strikes me tomorrow, it won’t be one that I gave a pass to last week. It’s just part of the game here. Boots are cheap, helicopters rides and anti venom are outrageous. We have a gold mine in our county, they are always blasting, running big earth movers, drilling and what not. Some folks believe that keeps them stirred up around here.

Wise words. I`ve known of a couple of folks that were killed by diamondbacks, one was my Uncle. My Grandfather nearly died from a diamondback bite in 1919 and the scar was still visible when he passed away in 2003. Right here in my yard I have removed four of those types. All I lack to complete my Slam is a coral and a pygmy.